cannot delete online biller

I have an online biller that is not working. When I try and fix the biller by clicking on "fix it" I get the message "biller account is not valid - please delete and re-add biller". When I try and delete the biller using the remove option on manage online bills I get the message am I sure I want to remove the biller and when I say yes it says "biller name was successfully removed" but in fact nothing changes the biller is still there and I cannot re-ad it.

Best Answer

Answers

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28
    If you haven't already, I suggest you reset the Quicken Cloud data set associated with the data file.  If you're not using the Quicken Cloud, I suggest using another data file to delete the original file's data set. 
    To reset the data set: 
    1. Select Edit > Preferences...
    2. Select Quicken ID, Mobile & Alerts
    3. Select Reset your cloud data
    To delete the data set, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • Unfortunately, I am not using Quicken mobile or Quicken cloud.
    edited November 28
    Unfortunately, I am not using Quicken mobile or Quicken cloud.
    When we are using Online Billers, Quicken is maintaining state in the Quicken Cloud account associated with the data file.  Again, if you are not using the Quicken Cloud, I suggest using another data file to delete the original file's data set.  If you don't have another data file, I suggest you create one for this purpose. Please review:  https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • I now understand your point about needing to delete the data set in the cloud. But I am unclear how to do that when I cannot delete the only data set for a currently open file.

You say

Again, if you are not using the Quicken Cloud, I suggest using another data file to delete the original file's data set. If you don't have another data file, I suggest you create one for this purpose. Please review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

I am unclear on how to use another data file to delete the original file's data set. Say I create two identical data files data1 and data2. It seems you are suggesting I open the two data files and create two data sets in the cloud and somehow associate cloud data2 with data set data1? I guess I am not understanding how to do this and I am not seeing how in the link above.

Thank you for your more guided help
    I now understand your point about needing to delete the data set in the cloud. But I am unclear how to do that when I cannot delete the only data set for a currently open file.

You say

Again, if you are not using the Quicken Cloud, I suggest using another data file to delete the original file's data set. If you don't have another data file, I suggest you create one for this purpose. Please review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

I am unclear on how to use another data file to delete the original file's data set. Say I create two identical data files data1 and data2. It seems you are suggesting I open the two data files and create two data sets in the cloud and somehow associate cloud data2 with data set data1? I guess I am not understanding how to do this and I am not seeing how in the link above.

Thank you for your more guided help

Here's my original account:

Create a temporary test data file: 
    1. select File > New Quicken File...
    2. select OK
    3. specify a file (in this example, Test)
    4. select OK
    5. choose Don't use mobile and web 
    6. select Next
    7. select Add Account
    8. select Cancel
    Note: There are now two cloud accounts associated with the Quicken ID:

Select Cloud accounts associated with the Quicken ID (2)

1. select the original cloud account (in this example, QData)
    2. select Delete
    3. enter yes
    4. select Delete
    5. select Close
    6. select OK
    Switch back to the original data file: select File and the original data file.
    Perform a One Step Update: press Ctrl + 1
    Check the Bills view on the BILLS & INCOME tab.  If the Online Biller, still exists try to remove.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • Now I understand, thank you.

I have not completed the steps you give because I would like to first know what I will have to re-create for my original data file, once I delete the online file associated with it. I want to know how much time I will need for this process.

Like I said, I do not use Quicken online or mobile.

However, I do use Quicken billpay and one step update which updates about 15 accounts most using direct connect and one with webconnect.

Will I have to recreate my billpay account and add my bill payments?

What about all my one-step update accounts. Will I have to recreate them?

Thanks again!
    [email protected] said:
    Now I understand, thank you.

I have not completed the steps you give because I would like to first know what I will have to re-create for my original data file, once I delete the online file associated with it. I want to know how much time I will need for this process.

Like I said, I do not use Quicken online or mobile.

However, I do use Quicken billpay and one step update which updates about 15 accounts most using direct connect and one with webconnect.

Will I have to recreate my billpay account and add my bill payments?

What about all my one-step update accounts. Will I have to recreate them?

Thanks again!
    You should not have to recreate anything.   Quicken should automatically repopulate the Quicken Cloud data set with the Online Biller information when you perform the One Step Update.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • Ricky@[email protected] Member ✭✭
    edited November 28
    I just want to confirm. When I get to the point of deleting the cloud data set associated with my original data file, I get the following message, which seems to say I will have to rebuild bill pay and all my bank account downloads.

Do you see why I am concerned? Is the warning incorrect?
    0001.jpg 137.1K
    I just want to confirm. When I get to the point of deleting the cloud data set associated with my original data file, I get the following message, which seems to say I will have to rebuild bill pay and all my bank account downloads.

Do you see why I am concerned? Is the warning incorrect?
    My understanding is the One Step Update will automatically reestablish the data set with state available in the data file.  To confirm the behavior, you could use File >  File Operations > Copy... to create a new data file and perform a One Step Update in the new data file.  If the Online Biller still exists in the new data file, attempt to remove it.  If all is well, you can proceed using the new data file in place of the original.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • Again thank you for bearing with me this far.

I did create the new data file as you suggest based off of my original data file. But the copy is still using the cloud data file associated with the original file (I haven't deleted it yet). The bad Online Biller still exists and I can't remove it (as with the original data file). I haven't done a One Step Update with the copied data file yet as I don't understand what I will learn. Assuming the data file copy is the same as the original, what will change?

I do not see how this will confirm as you say that IF I delete the cloud data file associated with the original data file, the original data file (or the copy) will be able to recreate all online accounts (bill payment and direct connect downloads).

What am I missing in understanding your last message?
  • Ricky@[email protected] Member ✭✭
    edited November 29
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > @Sherlock 
    >
    > I believe that deleting the Quicken cloud data set will delete all online biller accounts and they will need to be reestablished. I did this once myself and even restoring a backup did not reestablish the online biller accounts.
    >
    > @[email protected] 
    >
    > I would suggest contacting Quicken Customer Support for help with your online biller problem.

That worked, I contacted Customer support and they deleted the biller and after running One Step update it was gone from my program and I was able to re-add the biller. I never tried deleting the online data file for fear I would have to reconnect my bill payment service and all my automatic downloads.

Thanks to everybody for your help!