How can I efficiently categorize Uncategorized transactions? (Q Mac)

I have several hundred uncategorized transactions. This is normal at this time of year. In prior years, using the prior version of Quicken, the process I used was to create a Transactions report, find the uncategorized transactions, multi-select all that should be in a certain category, then right-click to set that category, repeating this process until all were categorized.

For example, I would multi-select all transactions to "The French Bakery" and categorize them as "Restaurant."

However, I find that Quicken (Mac) is not supporting multi-select, and the process to recategorize an individual transaction requires several steps. This is very labor-intensive, entirely contrary to why I've used Quicken.

How can I efficiently categorize uncategorized transactions?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• John_in_NCJohn_in_NC ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3 Accepted Answer
    This isn't hard to fix:

Directly in the register, you can select multiple transactions and click on the Edit icon (or command+e) and enter the category there. The transactions will all be batch changed. Note: this will not work for categories in split transactions, but I don't think this is the case here. This is good way to clean up other data as well.

You can use live searching (upper right field) and sorting to find which transactions need to be categorized. If you select a group heading in the sidebar such as All Transactions, you can traverse/search/batch edit multiple transactions across all accounts.

There is no need to run reports.

Answers

• chitownhockeychitownhockey Member ✭✭✭✭
    Download transactions more frequently.

And then categorize them immediately after download. 

I'm not sure how your method is "normal at this time of the year".  

Also, Quicken Mac will usually remember the payee name and category previously assigned.  So, once again, I don't see why you'd have several hundred uncategorized transactions.  I rarely have any.  
  • John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3 Accepted Answer
    This isn't hard to fix:

Directly in the register, you can select multiple transactions and click on the Edit icon (or command+e) and enter the category there. The transactions will all be batch changed. Note: this will not work for categories in split transactions, but I don't think this is the case here. This is good way to clean up other data as well.

You can use live searching (upper right field) and sorting to find which transactions need to be categorized. If you select a group heading in the sidebar such as All Transactions, you can traverse/search/batch edit multiple transactions across all accounts.

There is no need to run reports.

• andrewandrew Member ✭✭
    John_in_NC: Thank you! That works well.
  • John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    andrew said:
    John_in_NC: Thank you! That works well.
    Great!  :) By now, you will discovered how fast it is to clean up transactions via searching, selecting, and batch replace. It is efficient. 
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    One more thing... at the top of any register, change the Any Status filter to Uncategorized. You will then only be looking at uncategorized transactions and can still further filter them using the search box. As you assign categories, they will disappear from the list (until you clear the filter).
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s