Automatic categories for downloaded transactions

I need to figure out how to have Quicken change the automatic category it assigns to certain payees. For whatever reason it adds "Dining" as a category to grocery store transactions when downloading and I have to change it manually each time. What I want to do is create a rule that assigns the category "groceries" to the payees Trader Joe's, HEB, etc. I have tried to do this in various ways but cannot seem to figure it out. Needless to say this worked flawlessly for years in the Windows version but the Mac version remains buggy for me. Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Hello Genny,

Thank you for bringing this inquiry to the Community, although I apologize you have not yet received a response.

What version/release of Quicken are you using? You can find that by going to Quicken>About Quicken. Also, please see this FAQ for details on adding more information to your post so that other Community members are best able to assist you. 

Quicken for Mac does not currently offer the ability to automatically assign a category to a specific payee. 

When entering transactions manually, you can assign the categories as you enter the other transaction details. However, when downloading transactions, Quicken assigns the categories to the transactions whose payees it recognizes. But there still may be transactions whose payee is not recognized for a category assignment. 

Please see the information outlined here for more details. 

I suggest taking a look at this Discussion and consider following the advice given by @jacobs here

You may also consider adding your vote to an existing Idea thread to restore the ability to accept downloaded transactions before they are added to your register(s). This feature would ultimately give Users more control over assigning categories as they're going through the acceptance process. 

Our developer's review Idea threads to get an idea of what people would like Quicken to offer. You'll notice this Idea is currently being considered by the developers, but every vote counts! 

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Natalie
    -Quicken Natalie 

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Genny Dalton I'd add to Natalie's comment above that the ability to create rules (memorized transactions) for categorization is coming in the near future. The product manager has said they're working on it, and a statement by the CEO indicated it would be out by year-end. Now, development schedules are fickle, so they may run into delays in development or testing that will push the release into January -- but we have more information than usual that a feature is forthcoming.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • I beg to differ. Quicken for Mac DOES currently automatically assigns a categories and tags, which is irritating. I am CONSTANTLY having to change the information. For example, most everything I purchase is from Amazon. Quicken for Mac currently uses the last transaction from Amazon and assigns whatever category(ies) and tags were LAST used as the current category(ies) and tags. If I download ten purchases, they will ALL have the same category(ies), tags, and notes. I need to be able to turn this OFF.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That capability is coming in an update in the near future. (The CEO said by year-end, but there can always be bugs that push the schedule back. But it should be “soon.”) We’ll have to wait for the update to see exactly how it works, but from the little information shared by the product manager, it should be possible to create “memorized” transactions with — or without — categories, memos or tags, on a per-Payee basis.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.