Troublshooting/Validating Quicken File

I've got a quicken file that was about 16 years old +/- from MS Money that I imported into Quicken. For the most part, everything seemed to work ok, but quicken always seemed to run a little poorly (slowly). In the past year, I've had a plethera of disconnects from the express web connect to many of those accounts. I'm not sure if it's quicken or the banks renaming themselves with minor modifications.

Regardless, today, I am moving at turtle pace, and one of my accounts will simply not connect to the express web connect with the old file, but when I make a new test file with nothing else in it, it connects to the credit card account without flaw.

I tried to validate and super validate. The process stalls in the middle of the validation process, where it is checking stock splits. I don't have any stocks. I have 66 current accounts, several others that are closed, and a couple of those accounts are related to my mortgage/escrow account.

Quicken support says, just start over. Uh vey...just start over. Maybe I need to. What a absolute nightmare that would be, not to mention the loss of searching old data. However, the slowness of the file, and the non-ability to validate/fix errors (if there are any) make the use of the file less and less usable.

When I search for similarly related posts in the forum, I seem to come across many others who have 10-20 years of data as well. Some have remarked that speed doesn't really get hampered by file size (mine is about 100MB).

I understand that my file maybe should never have been imported from Money. That might have been a base problem to start with.

In summary, HELP. Does anyone have experience and recommendations for my situation. The last thing I would want to do is start all over, especially if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Did you perform the Copy before the validate?  https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
    Regarding the Express Web Connect issue, I suggest you contact Quicken Support and request they reset your profile: https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support
    Quicken continues to have difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method.  If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of this connection method, I suggest you use the Direct Connect or the Web Connect connection method if available instead.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
  • Sherlock....I'll call CS tomorrow. I spent a couple of hours with CS tonight, but they are limited staff. Can you tell me, any idea if I can do what I'm trying. About 18 years of MS Money imported to Quicken, with another 2 years of data. Approximately 65 active accounts?

When I try several different approaches to validating the file, it always gets stuck on validating at stock splits.

It would appear that my file is just going downhill.

If so...the part I can't stand to think of, is leaving 20 years of searchable transactions, setting up 65 accounts, and redoing so many payees, categories, and reports.

Any other thoughts or experiences?

Thank you.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    mikeshick said:
    Sherlock....I'll call CS tomorrow. I spent a couple of hours with CS tonight, but they are limited staff. Can you tell me, any idea if I can do what I'm trying. About 18 years of MS Money imported to Quicken, with another 2 years of data. Approximately 65 active accounts?

When I try several different approaches to validating the file, it always gets stuck on validating at stock splits.

It would appear that my file is just going downhill.

If so...the part I can't stand to think of, is leaving 20 years of searchable transactions, setting up 65 accounts, and redoing so many payees, categories, and reports.

Any other thoughts or experiences?

Thank you.
    Our data file has 22 years, about 90 accounts, close to 50 K transactions and 267 M bytes and we're not experiencing any significant performance degradation on a 7 year old i5-2520M with 8 G RAM.  Granted we didn't migrate from MS Money.  Quicken is 32-bit application over a single user database so as long as the data file is less than 2G and have sufficient RAM and disk, we shouldn't be i/o limited. Obviously, backups are slower and queries that process more data require more cycles but otherwise...
    Some users have found their Quicken performance issues are environment specific: the same data file on a supposedly less powerful PC performs better.  This has lead some to suspect some device driver interactions.
    Others have claimed having a significant number of Memorized Payees is problematic.  (We have about 4K and no issue.)
    Some have said having a significant number of transactions in a register may degrade performance.  (We have over 7K and no issue.)
    Other than being unreliable, the Express Web Connect connection method shouldn't impact performance.
  • This is great information....if I can correct my current file and get it to validate, I suppose. If I cannot, and if I do have corruption, do you have any suggestions for best approach to starting over. Frankly, I've never had the best outcome from migrating anything, even setting from one version to the next, and many softwares, and I tend to just start fresh on windows os, autocad, and many other softwares. I hoped that migrating wouldn't have been an issue...and I have gotten by with two years on that migrated file. As we speak, I'm reconciling accounts, and the speed is not terrible, but it doesn't peform great...and seems to sputter constantly. I'm using an i7-3600 with 32GB ram. Horsepower is fine.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    mikeshick said:
    This is great information....if I can correct my current file and get it to validate, I suppose. If I cannot, and if I do have corruption, do you have any suggestions for best approach to starting over. Frankly, I've never had the best outcome from migrating anything, even setting from one version to the next, and many softwares, and I tend to just start fresh on windows os, autocad, and many other softwares. I hoped that migrating wouldn't have been an issue...and I have gotten by with two years on that migrated file. As we speak, I'm reconciling accounts, and the speed is not terrible, but it doesn't peform great...and seems to sputter constantly. I'm using an i7-3600 with 32GB ram. Horsepower is fine.
    Regarding corruptions that aren't handled by the Copy and Validate, I suggest suggest trying to localize the issue. If you can determine where there are bad entries, you may be able to reenter the data (or export/import) to resolve the issue.
    You said you don't have stocks, but I don't know if you've held any securities and how many splits they may have had (we only have 48 splits) but it may not be too much work to review the splits manually and potentially delete and reenter them to see if that will resolve the validation hang.
    If the data file has no securities, perhaps you should just add a security just to see if doing so can break through the hang.
    Just remember to save backups before you make any significant changes: press Ctrl + B
  • Bummer....after hours of troubleshooting and calling cs, they have not been able to provide any help to resolve the issue. The conclusion is the file is broken. Some people seem far more willing to troubleshoot, but others more apt to say the file is broken. Granted, we did a lot of troubleshooting. Maybe it's simply time to start over.
This discussion has been closed.