Online transaction not showing (sort of)

I recently upgraded from Quicken Deluxe 2012 to Quicken Deluxe 2020 and I've started downloading transactions actions from my Vanguard account after years of manually inputting the transactions.
Everything was working fine up until a few days ago when a Reinvest Dividend transaction was downloaded. The transaction showed up as the latest transaction, but the result of the transaction (additional shares of that stock) did not.
Any idea where those additional shares went or why they did not get added to the shares that were already in the account?

Thanks,

Cliff

Answers

• Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're saying that a transaction looking similar to this one:
    resulted in the shares (5.29 in this case) not showing up in the "Holdings" view?
    Did the dividend dollars themselves ($5.29 here) show up as dividend income?  Maybe you could take a screen shot of what you're seeing?
  • RobochemeRobocheme Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply, Tom.

Yes, the transaction similar to your example above showed up, but the 5.29 shares in your example did not get added to the shares that were already in the account.
    Another way to look at it is that if I deleted the transaction, my account value would not change.
  • Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2
    And the dollars for the dividend?  What happened there?  Is there anything showing in the Inv. Amt column?
    Vanguard has a boatload of similarly named funds, any chance that's what's happening here and you're just looking at the wrong fund?
    If the transaction looks exactly like the one I posted (with different numbers of course) then that should work.  You've closed and opened Quicken between then and now?
    At this point I'd maybe just delete the transaction and enter in manually, making sure that works.  There's always a chance that it's a one-off bit of wonkery in the OFX file prepared by Vanguard.
  • RobochemeRobocheme Member ✭✭
    Without deleting the downloaded transaction, I manually inputed a duplicate. When I checked the share balance, BOTH of the transactions showed up! In other words, there were too many shares in the account.
    I then deleted the manually inputed transaction and the share balance went down to where it's supposed to be.
    I guess that all I can do is to see what happens next month.

Thanks again, Tom.
  • Bob_LBob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
     FYI, if it happens again, you may want to try doing CTL-z to recalculate the transactions in the register.
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 10 Pro