stalls at startup

This has happened several times in the last few days. I start quicken and basically I am looking at the screen to start up and it just sits there waiting for something it seems. I have at time ended up going to task manager to shut the program down (you can only wait so long) It seems something is bogging it down. No viruses or malwar, run several scans. Other programs seem to work ok. I looked for a repair for Q2019 with nothing, and I really dislike the thought of uninstalling and re-installing if something it holding it back. It seemed more so after the last update. I justs went back to look at it and got the circle(blue) that it is doing something, then my top line disappeared of file, edit, view and tools disappear for a few seconds. I tried to write Quicken under the support, but it would not send it? Sinerely Bruce

Answers

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • Bruce LeavittBruce Leavitt Member ✭✭
    It is were Quicken put it, in the Documents folder. Yes on the access. No on one Drive, Dropbox or Google backup, or the cloud. I just back it up on USB normally. I am wondering, and I have not checked could it be the size of the file , it is 7,684 kb? thanks bruce
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Quicken crashes, hangs or loops at startup?

Please try this:

Reboot Windows.
    Close Quicken.
    Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file, for example, from Qdata.QDF to QdataX.QDF
    Usually this file is located in your \Documents\Quicken folder.

Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.
    If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.

• If you get to this point without Quicken crashing
      • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
      • If the data file is beyond repair, try to restore your data file from the most recent Manual or Automatic backup. Go back to restoring successively older backups until you find a file that works
        https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data
    • If you can't get Quicken to start at all,

• Bruce LeavittBruce Leavitt Member ✭✭
    I am not sure it crashes, but at times it seems to take a lot longer to start up? I did that. I will have to check to see how far my data goes back. I usually do a data back up once a year. I changed it to old and brought it back. I could try an older file later, depending how far back I go I would have do a lot of reconciling with my accounts. When you are looking at it a few seconds can seem like forever. thanks
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Don't panic. Depending on your computer, what it's doing while Quicken is starting, depending on the time of day and activity on the Quicken servers, "a few seconds" of startup time, up to several minutes, may be experienced. My own computer is low on RAM and all the extra paging activity causes it to start up slow. The important thing is that Quicken eventually does start up all the way and that you can work with it.
    2) To see if you can improve on startup times, please check this:
    • Do you run One Step Update as Quicken starts?
    • Do you Sync to Mobile / Web?
    • Do you automatically update quote prices every 15 minutes?
    All the above can add significant time to the startup process. Consider turning these functions off, for a while, to see how it performs without.
    3) Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.

Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

4) How to properly set up Quicken Backup
    How to make Quicken create a backup for you automatically every time you close Quicken

For the sake of this discussion it is assumed that your Quicken data file is located in the Default (and recommended) place: C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken

Review the backup settings available in Quicken (under Edit / Preferences / Backup).

In there you will find two types of backup: Automatic and Manual Backup.

Automatic Backup should be enabled and always goes to a \Backup folder that's part of the folder which contains your current Quicken data file, e.g. \Documents\Quicken\Backup. Set it to create a backup after running Quicken [1] times and to keep [5] (or more, your choice) backup copies.

To create a Manual Backup copy of your Quicken data file on an external device (USB-hard drive or USB memory stick recommended), put a checkmark at "Manual Backup Reminder" to enable the function and set "Remind me after running Quicken [xx] times" to [1].

Click OK to save the changes.

From now on, when you close Quicken using the red X button, you will get a popup window.

When you get this window for the first time, on some versions click the radio button for "Backup on my computer".
    Change the Backup File name's drive letter and path to point to your external device so that it looks something like this: E:\Quicken Backup\QDATA-2017-04-01.QDF-backup
    or use the Change button and work your way through the dialog.

Do not change the filename portion! Just overtype the drive letter and choose a backup folder name. If the folder does not exist, it will be created.

Also choose the option to "Add date to backup file name".

Every day when you run Backup or close Quicken, an additional backup file is created. Without the Add Date option you only have 1 backup copy which is overwritten every day ... and that may prove bad in a problem recovery situation.

Allow this backup to run to save the changes made on the screen.

Of course, once in a while you will have to go in and delete some of the oldest backup files, at your discretion, to avoid filling up your USB device.

One can never have enough backups of a Quicken data file. BTDTGTS!