Home Quicken for Mac Download, Add/Update Accounts (Mac)

Can I initiate the downloading of share prices rather than having it done automatically?

When I switch from my checking account to my investment accounts, there is a delay of about ten seconds. I suspect that this is due to Quicken trying to download share prices even if they don't need updating or are not available for that day yet.

I just upgraded from Quicken Deluxe 2012, where I was able tell Quicken when to download share prices by selecting Quotes. Is there any way of turning off automatic downloads of share prices in Quicken Deluxe 2020?

Thanks,

Cliff

Best Answer

Answers

• ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think its just the slowness of Quicken - recalculating the amounts of the accounts -
    as it still works the same way, and doesn't download quotes until One Step Update -
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken isn't downloading quotes during the delay between checking and brokerage accounts, it just takes a while to make the change.
    OSU (if the option is checked) does a quote download as does clicking on the Update button on the Portfolio screen.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    OTOH, please go and take a look at Edit / Preferences / Investment transactions.
    Is there a checkmark at "Automatically update quotes every 15 minutes"?
    If there is, consider removing it.
    I also recommend the following:

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• RobochemeRobocheme Member ✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > Quicken isn't downloading quotes during the delay between checking and brokerage accounts, it just takes a while to make the change.OSU (if the option is checked) does a quote download as does clicking on the Update button on the Portfolio screen.

I see the Update button in my version of Quicken 2012, but not in the 2020 version.
    > @UKR said:
    > OTOH, please go and take a look at Edit / Preferences / Investment transactions.Is there a checkmark at "Automatically update quotes every 15 minutes"?
    > If there is, consider removing it.I also recommend the following:If you haven't
    > rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so
    > now and then try Quicken again.
    >
    > Still not working?
    >
    > Let's try some
    > "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and
    > updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    >
    > Please perform all the steps in this document:
    >
    > Troubleshooting
    > 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

I'm using Quicken 2020 and the Preferences are under the Quicken tab. There was a box to Automatically download Investment quotes and when I unchecked it, it was just as slow updating the investment page. So, all of you folks were right; Quicken is just slow in doing all of the calculations. (I rechecked the auto download box.)

Thanks, everyone!!

Cliff
    Robocheme said:
    > @splasher said:
    > Quicken isn't downloading quotes during the delay between checking and brokerage accounts, it just takes a while to make the change.OSU (if the option is checked) does a quote download as does clicking on the Update button on the Portfolio screen.

I see the Update button in my version of Quicken 2012, but not in the 2020 version.
    Its there, here is a screenshot:

I notice in your response to UKR, you write about the "QUICKEN" tab, are you using the MAC version rather than the Windows version which category you posted this thread under on this forum?

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > (Quote)
    > Its there, here is a screenshot:
    >
    > (Image)
    >
    >
    > I notice in your response to UKR, you write about the "QUICKEN" tab, are you using the MAC version rather than the Windows version which category you posted this thread under on this forum?

I'm sorry, you're right; I am using Quicken on a Mac.

In my defense, a few years ago, I tried a product called Quicken for Mac and it was a complete waste of time and I had to go back to using the PC version of Quicken Deluxe 2012 on my Mac using a PC emulator (VMWare).

Last month, I did a little research and found a product called Quicken Deluxe, which claimed to work on both PCs and Macs. I assumed that both versions were identical (and that's why I posted on the Windows forum). So when folks referred to Quicken for Mac, I thought that they were referring to that standalone product I tried a few years ago.

Anyway, your screenshot looks more like my old Deluxe 2012 and not at all like my Mac version. You would think that Quicken would at least get it to look the same by now.

Thanks again for you help and patience.
    > @UKR said:
    > Have you performed the tasks in Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems
    >
    > yet?

No, I haven't. Please see my response to Splasher above where I note that I am using the Mac version of Quicken Deluxe, which apparently isn't very close to the PC version.

Is there a Mac version of Troubleshooting 101?

Thanks for your help.
    In 2018, Quicken moved to a subscription policy.  It allows for having and using both Win and Mac versions under a single subscription/membership BUT the Win and Mac programs and data files are completely incompatible with each other.
    QMac is still trying to catch up feature wise with QWin and has similar names to denote their capabilities, but you can not share data files between them.

• chitownhockeychitownhockey Member ✭✭✭✭
    Now that you've established that you use Quicken Deluxe Mac subscription, here's how to turn off automatic downloading of investment quotes:

Quicken > Preferences > General > Investment quotes... uncheck Automatically download

> @chitownhockey said:
    > Also, some users have stated that having the Portfolio graph appear in the Portfolio window slows Quicken Mac considerably.  You can close that window by moving the little dot up underneath the graph area.  

thanks!
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I agree with @chitownhockey -- it's the drawing of the graph at the top of the portfolio window that causes the long time lag. One solution, as suggested, is to close the graph. You can also have the account show the Transactions window instead of the Portfolio window; the next time you open this account, it will open instantaneously. (Of course, when you want to access the Portfolio screen, you'll again have the time lag unless you close the graph.)

Note that you need to close the graph on each investment account, as well as the main Investing group and sub-groups like Brokerage and Retirement, to totally  eliminate the delays.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    Thanks, Jacobs!
This discussion has been closed.