Home Quicken for Mac Download, Add/Update Accounts (Mac)

Adding an investment

1) I have investments with Tweedy Browne (www.tweedy.com). I can't seem to get them to download to Quicken. Is it because it is a "non-participatory" bank? If so, how do I just add it as a set value? and update it as the stock changes?
2) I have 3 accounts with Ally Bank - 2 savings, one investment. I was able to get the savings to load just fine, but it won't pick up the investment account. Suggestions?

Best Answer

Answers

• John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    You are correct that Tweedy (and likely your Ally investment account) are non-participating Financial Institutions/account types) But, you can still track these in Quicken. 

But, before I go further, I need you to answer a few questions:

Do you wish to 1) just have the current value of your investment account in Quicken that you manually update the total value as you see fit, or 2) manually enter the Buys, Sells, etc. of the investment transactions and have it build your total value based on the fund price history?

#2 is certainly more rewarding (and flexible) and will benefit if you spend the time to set things up correctly now.

As far as the Tweedy, it appears their funds have listed symbols that will allow Quicken to download the daily price quotes without you having to do it. (That is at least with the funds they list on their website.) 

Thanks-your answers will save a lot of If-then conditional response answers.

• John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I should add that there is nothing wrong with preferring option 1 as that is far easier, especially if you are new to Quicken or investing. You basically enter a transaction for the total value and it will show in your net worth if that is all you care about.
  • PlinkerPlinker Member
    I called Quicken support and they helped me register one fund. I tried to do it again once I hung up with them, but it's not quite working. I should have written it down step by step! I entered a new stock (RSGRX) - 907.76 shares at $23,610.84 total (= $26.01 per share). However, while the value in the detail is correct, the value on the left edge with all other assets only shows it as $18,709.

I would like to get that corrected, and add 15 shares of Amazon as well.

Thanks in advance!
This discussion has been closed.