Home Before you Buy

Moving computers - W/7 Quicken Deluxe to W/10 Starter Edition

I currently have a Windows 7 computer running Quicken Deluxe 2016, Version R14.1, Build 25.1.14.9.

I have a new laptop running Windows 10. I plan on purchasing Quicken Starter edition for this new laptop and using Quicken ONLY on this machine.

Can someone guide me thru the process to move my Quicken data from my old W/7 computer to my new W/10 laptop?

Thanks.

Best Answers

Answers

• volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Does the Starter Edition now open higher version data files?  It didn't use to.
  • jr7107jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
     volvogirl said:
    Does the Starter Edition now open higher version data files?  It didn't use to.
    I haven't tried it or seen anything explicit published on it. You are probably right. Starter edition is a construct well after the original Quicken, would have thought data would be reverse compatible, hence question on the Investments.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
    edited December 2019
    Here's a post that says "no". But I would like an explanation from the Mods if possible. 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7338776/transferring-date-from-deluxe-to-starter-edition
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Think I found it.  See the bold note on this support article, under What version of Quicken should I buy to upgrade
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-order-questions

The easiest way to upgrade is to buy the latest version of your specific Quicken product, or add features by updating to a higher product version; for example, you'd upgrade from Quicken for Windows Deluxe 2016 to Quicken for Windows Deluxe 2017.  NOTE: If you're already using Quicken, you won't be able to upgrade to the Windows Starter Edition, unless you're already using the Windows Starter Edition. For example, you can move from Starter Edition 2016 to Starter Edition 2017, but not from Deluxe 2016 to the Windows Starter Edition 2017.

jr7107 said:
    Backup your QDF from Q2016. Transfer copy of same file to new laptop. Use new Q application to open up backup file. Check that balances and totals match between old and new. I think it should be a straightforward operation. 
    @splasher Right, trying the first thing would have worked then. Nice work on standing up the env to test. They can just toggle investment functionality between versions. The Starter version allowed the accounts to exist but not transact against it. How did it look from a Net Worth perspective? Any multicurrency?
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jr7107 said:
    @splasher Right, trying the first thing would have worked then. Nice work on standing up the env to test. They can just toggle investment functionality between versions. The Starter version allowed the accounts to exist but not transact against it. How did it look from a Net Worth perspective? Any multicurrency?
    There is no choice for a NETWORTH report on the Report menu.
    Edit->Preferences show Calendar, not Calendar and currency, so no multicurrency.
    If you use TurboTax, take them up on the free copy of Starter, it is handy to have around for just this reason.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• cjmsetmcjmsetm Member
    Thanks all.

I have some stocks recorded in my 2016 Quicken Deluxe. So, I will purchase the new Deluxe for my new laptop and use my Quicken 2016 backup from my old computer.
This discussion has been closed.