Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken freezes during updates and file importing

I'm using Quicken Home Business and Rental by subscription. From Quicken about it's:
Quicken 2020
Ver. R23.17
Build 27.1.23.17

I'm cannot update any financial account I have tried (Citibank, Capital One, Interactive Brokers, and etc) because Quicken freezes up. The odd thing is this only happens on my laptop when traveling, but the same datafile works smoothly on my home PC.

I'm stumped as to what to try next.

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • JPS123
    JPS123 Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?

The path is direct. The QDF file is on the laptop's hard drive.

I'll take a look for controlled folder access. My security system is Norton 360.

I do not think we are using the last 3 things you asked about.
  • JPS123
    JPS123 Member ✭✭
    > @JPS123 said:
    > > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > > What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    >
    > The path is direct. The QDF file is on the laptop's hard drive.
    >
    > I'll take a look for controlled folder access. My security system is Norton 360.
    >
    > I do not think we are using the last 3 things you asked about.

I looked up enabling controlled folder access. It took me thru Windows security, then virus and threat protection, to Norton 360.

Norton 360's settings are to allow Quicken as a trusted program.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JPS123 said:
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?

The path is direct. The QDF file is on the laptop's hard drive.

I'll take a look for controlled folder access. My security system is Norton 360.

I do not think we are using the last 3 things you asked about.
    What we would like to know is the exact path name of your Quicken data file, e.g. C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF
    Sorry, but "direct" is not the correct answer. Knowing the pathname will help us eliminate some problem possibilities.
    The question about third party cloud backup software is raised, because Quicken does not like to have its data file accessed by such software while it's running. This can cause data file damage. So, please do check if OneDrive or any other cloud backup software is active and reconfigure this software so it does NOT access the data file. Let Quicken run its own backups every time you close Quicken.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

You had crashes or had to kill Quicken with the Task Manager. Please perform the steps listed here: Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• JPS123
    JPS123 Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > (Quote)
    > What we would like to know is the exact path name of your Quicken data file, e.g. C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF
    > Sorry, but "direct" is not the correct answer. Knowing the pathname will help us eliminate some problem possibilities.
    > The question about third party cloud backup software is raised, because Quicken does not like to have its data file accessed by such software while it's running. This can cause data file damage. So, please do check if OneDrive or any other cloud backup software is active and reconfigure this software so it does NOT access the data file. Let Quicken run its own backups every time you close Quicken.
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data
    >
    >
    > You had crashes or had to kill Quicken with the Task Manager. Please perform the steps listed here: Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

The exact path is C:\Jim Suitcase2\Quicken\Eagle Realty NewCpy.QDF . We keep our data files in a folder called "Suitcase" so when we have to travel it is far simpler to grab the data "Suitcase" than look in the various softwares data storage areas.

I do not believe we have any of our financial data on the cloud, we do not have any cloud backup software, and I let Quicken run it's own backups.

Yes I have had to kill Quicken on the laptop repeatedly due to this problem. I ran the validate / supervalidate routines from your Troubleshooting 101 routine. It ran well with only 2 faults that Quicken repaired.

I'm starting to wonder if this is a Security software settings problem since this database is an exact copy of what I run flawlessly on my home PC.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Try booting Windows into Safe Mode with Networking and then running Quicken.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • JPS123
    JPS123 Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > Try booting Windows into Safe Mode with Networking and then running Quicken.

Greg and UKR, many thanks for your help so far.

I've tried to enter safe mode with networking 6 times, but never get a network connection. When I try the network troubleshooter, it refuses to run in safe mode.

I'm on a Lenovo Ideapad 330 and have been using the msconfig route. I'll keep looking for another way to get into safe mode with networking.
  • Greg_the_Geek
  • steve user
    steve user Member ✭✭
    same issue. Quicken Freezes on one step update. cannot complete.

windows 1909 was the only recent change, but didn't coordinate with the issue.
This discussion has been closed.