Quicken fails to load data after signing into data file when Internet is down

PROBLEM
My internet connection was down this evening for a few hours. When I started Quicken for Home & Business (latest version), it prompted for my data file password. After entering the password, the entire quicken screen turned white and Windows showed an unresponsive-program dialog box. I thought Quicken would timeout trying to access the Internet but it didn't after a couple of minutes so I ended Quicken via the Windows prompt. I tried a few more times but it didn't work.

I was more than annoyed I couldn't conduct business in my accounting program without an internet connection.

WORKAROUND FIX
I disabled the Ethernet adapter in Windows then Quicken worked fine.

It seems that if an Ethernet link is present (in my case, an Ethernet wired connection to my router) but the internet is down, Quicken for Windows locks up when opening a data file, but if the wired adapter is disabled in Windows (or probably a wireless adapter), Quicken opens the data file and presents it normally.

(After the Internet starting working again, I enabled the Ethernet adapter and everything's still fine.)

SUGGESTION
Fix Quicken for Windows so it opens normally if an Internet connection is down even if the wired or wireless adapters are active and only connected to the LAN.

ENVIRONMENT: Mac running VMWare Fusion running Windows 7 in a virtual machine. (Note: it'll be Windows 10 in another VM soon instead.)
Tagged:

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice detailed report. Can you purposely reproduce it? Perhaps by disconnecting your modem from your ISP? (I would try, but need to wait until no one else is home using the Internet or I’ll get in trouble.)
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I can confirm that this is repeatable and is not unique to the OP's MAC with VM setup as it happens on my all Win setup.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So isn't this they very same concern when Quicken Inc. experiences a server issue and multiple if not all users are prevented from gaining access to their file? This was suppose to be corrected, but seems to still be a serious issue that has not been addressed.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 11 Pro version 21H2