Financial institutions asking for captchas that aren't even words (edited to include other FI's)

ed1chandlered1chandler Member ✭✭
edited January 23 in Known Product Issues
None of my Chase accounts will update. Every time I try, I get stuck in an endless Captcha loop, asking for the "word in the image" when ... seriously ... it's just a bunch of random squiggles. Pressing "cancel" doesn't matter - it just takes me right back to another Captcha. I end up having to kill Quicken from the command line.

All of my wife's Chase accounts work just fine.

Anyone?
Tagged:

Comments

• ed1chandlered1chandler Member ✭✭
    Okay, I thought some of the symbols looked familiar and ... get this ... the Captcha is serving up "words" made of characters from the Unicode table of mathematical operators. Umm, what?
    And now Chase is telling me that they don't even use Captcha ... at all. So now Quicken is just serving me random, Captchas from random Unicode tables? Seriously ...
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

If all of the above doesn't resolve the issue, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

• To contact Quicken Support, please use this link only:
      https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support  and select Chat or Phone support.
      Phone support is only available during posted business hours. The phone number can found at this website.
    • If you are eligible for Premium Support (purchased separately or included as part of your subscription to Quicken 2018+ Premier or HB&R) call the number that can be found at the top of your My Account page at https://www.quicken.com/my-account  (US) or https://www.quicken.com/canada/my-account (Canada) next to "Quicken Premium Support"  when you log in with your Quicken ID.
    • To start Chat or see the support phone number, your browser must allow popup windows from https://www.quicken.com
    • Other links or phone numbers found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts or emails received from other Community members, may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at your own risk.
    • Unlike other so-called "Quicken support providers", the real Quicken Support is free for all currently supported versions.

• Mike GreinerMike Greiner Member ✭✭
    I'm trying to set up an account for RBC Bank and hitting the same issue. Getting impossible captchas that don't seem to be words at all.

Called RBC Bank and they don't know anything about them.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I'm thinking about it ...
    Are you using any kind of foreign Region setup on your computer, a foreign language other than US or Canadian English?
    And can you show us a screen image snapshot of one of these Captcha's, please?
  • FrankxFrankx Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Is anybody else having this issue?  It says the website requires me to change my p/w but when I go to the website - it does not indicate that.  Won't download anything - when download is initiated I get multiple pop-up screens asking me to "enter the word in the image" (see attachment) but the "words" are not discernible to me. 

I also took a look at archived CC-509 errors here - and saw that the problem could be special characters in the p/w required by the website (NFCU does require at least 1 special character).  And I changed the p/w to  a new special character (from a # to a .) and that did not fix it.  Are there any "special characters" that will avoid this error code?   Any other advice/help will be appreciated.  Using Quicken H&B 2017 ver R19.7 Build 26.1.19.7 - windows 10.
    Frankx

Quicken H&B-2017 - Ver. R19.8 - Build 26.1.19.8  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 1909
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Like" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • BillyNancyBillyNancy Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I just started (yesterday) also getting "enter the word in the image" with non-discernable images. This is with the "Texas Dow Employees Credit Union" or TDECU. I take it these images come from Quicken and not the financial institution? What do we do?
    addition: Called the Quicken Support and they said it is generated by the bank so it is their problem. I called the bank (credit union) and they said they do nothing at their end except send the data - it is a Quicken problem. I guess I call Quicken back. And yes - I did reboot.
    I did the first step in "Troubleshooting 101" and re-updated my Quicken even though it was up to date and rebooted. Still no success. Instead of step 2 I am calling Quicken and insisting on their help.
    Okay - so I performed the steps under "Troubleshooting 101" up to and including the Validation step, which produced no errors.  However, when I tried to do the "Supervalidate" step I DID NOT get a pop-up to perform a "Supervalidation".  I tried this several times without success.  Anyone have suggestions on how to complete this step????
    Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Like" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankx said:
    Okay - so I performed the steps under "Troubleshooting 101" up to and including the Validation step, which produced no errors.  However, when I tried to do the "Supervalidate" step I DID NOT get a pop-up to perform a "Supervalidation".  I tried this several times without success.  Anyone have suggestions on how to complete this step????
    The instructions say "Press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair."
    As you navigate the mouse over the File Menu and move to File Operations pause before doing the next step: Now press and hold SHIFT+CTRL then click Validate and Repair. Release SHIFT+CTRL only after you clicked Validate.
    Works properly for me on a Windows laptop.
    May not work if you're running Windows and Quicken on a Mac under some virtual machine environment. The VM must be configured to allow SHIFT+CTRL to be passed through to Windows and Quicken.

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just started (yesterday) also getting "enter the word in the image" with non-discernable images. This is with the "Texas Dow Employees Credit Union" or TDECU. I take it these images come from Quicken and not the financial institution? What do we do?
    addition: Called the Quicken Support and they said it is generated by the bank so it is their problem. I called the bank (credit union) and they said they do nothing at their end except send the data - it is a Quicken problem. I guess I call Quicken back. And yes - I did reboot.
    I did the first step in "Troubleshooting 101" and re-updated my Quicken even though it was up to date and rebooted. Still no success. Instead of step 2 I am calling Quicken and insisting on their help.

You may get that run around / finger pointing between Quicken / Intuit and the bank if the bank's first line support person is not aware of their IT department having made changes that are / were not properly coordinated with Intuit. The Captcha is generated by the bank's computer system as part of their changed access procedure.

Have you tried this yet (if your bank recently changed their website or password requirements)?

How to refresh financial institution information (Branding)

Please read and follow instructions here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/server-issue-troubleshooting

If that doesn't resolve the issue:

• It is the bank's contractual obligation to notify their Account Manager at Intuit Inc. of any changes to their websites and download functions in a timely manner before the change is implemented.
    • The bank also needs to notify their customers of this change and any actions that might be required by the customer to regain access.
    • If they didn't do that, complain to your bank's upper level management.
    • Also contact Quicken Support via Chat or Phone at https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support  and report this Online Banking issue, so that Intuit Inc. can be notified of the issue.  Ultimately, however, the bank must work together with Intuit on solving this update issue.

Please let us know if you were able to get this issue resolved (or not).

Example of captcha in question: https://www.dropbox.com/s/clwk3nzrbuv5j64/captcha.png?dl=0
    UKR - thanks for the help.  I was able to supervalidate and there were no errors from that. 
    Update:  So after all of the above, I tried to download again from NFCU and this time I am getting a new error code - CC-891, so I guess I've gone from bad to worse.  In addition, I contacted NFCU and sent them the same screen shots of the captcha that I posted above.  They are saying that they did not change anything on their end, that they do not use any screens that look like the one's I sent, that the screens are being generated by Quicken, and I should contact Quicken to get it resolved.

Obviously not an answer I was looking for...
    Frankx

Frankx - For what it’s worth, I also have accounts with NFCU, but had no problem with them. It was only on particular Chase account.
    Thanks, Ed.  That would potentially support the info I got from NFCU.
    Frankx

> @UKR said:
    > While I'm thinking about it ...
    > Are you using any kind of foreign Region setup on your computer, a foreign language other than US or Canadian English?And can you show us a screen image snapshot of one of these Captcha's, please?

I think I took a screenshot w/ my computer, but I’m on my phone now. Nevertheless, they’re all coming from this table: https://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2200.pdf
    > @UKR said:
    > While I'm thinking about it ...
    > Are you using any kind of foreign Region setup on your computer, a foreign language other than US or Canadian English?And can you show us a screen image snapshot of one of these Captcha's, please?

And no, I have no languages installed other than English
    > @BillyNancy said:
    > I just started (yesterday) also getting "enter the word in the image" with non-discernable images. This is with the "Texas Dow Employees Credit Union" or TDECU. I take it these images come from Quicken and not the financial institution? What do we do?

I’m not at my computer right now (phone), so I can’t tell you the exact name of the menu option, but I resolved this by backing up my file and then running the file rebuild/debug/whatever utility from the “File” menu.
  • HelenB75HelenB75 Member
    I've been having this trouble for almost a week. State Employees Credit Union of Maryland. I've talked several times with both Quicken and Credit Union agents, with mostly finger pointing, but yesterday, after a long time with a Quicken rep, it seemed like the problem was solved. But today, when I tried to One Step Update, the captcha screen appeared again. I am beyond frustrated.
  • EddyCornEddyCorn Member
    When requesting a transaction download through Express Web Connect with a UCBI bank (Georgia) account, Quicken states:

"UCBI - United Community Bank requires that you enter more information in order to connect. Enter the word in the image below"

I am then presented with an unreadable series of squiggle lines. I have had three people assist me to try to find a word. We have attempted on several images over two days. None of us see any words in the image lines presented. Quicken security is beyond my ability comprehend. I have attached some examples to see if anyone else can find the words. If you can, great! But I can't :/ .

I contacted UCBI and explained the problem. I even sent them a copy of the screen shot. UCBI said this is a Quicken security measure, not theirs.

This Web Express Connection has worked for years and the new security implemented this month prevents me from using it as intended.

1) Since replacing my eyse is not an option, can anyone suggest how to get around the new security measures?
    2) Quicken, Please simplify your security so that a human with normal eyesight can pass the test.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I see is an "S". 
    I would contact Quicken Support at Quicken Support

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• BillyNancyBillyNancy Member ✭✭
    Okay. The other day when I had this problem, Quicken support kept me on the phone for almost 4 hours. I finally had to go and they said they would call back at 3 PM. They never called back. The next day I am not seeing the problem, even though one credit card download just plain fails now. Its a smaller used credit card tied to TDECU so I will live with what I have. The Quicken its not our problem seems to have fixed it.
  • ErikinSFErikinSF Member ✭✭
    Did anyone get a solution for this issue? I am a newbie and have two accounts I can't set up because I get caught up with these indecipherable captchas. Called both banks - NEITHER of them use word-based captchas and one doesn't use captchas at all. Seems to be the problem is on Quicken's end, not the banks. Esp since the captchas served up for two different banks through Quicken were exactly the same.
    @ErikinSF,

My issue was a problem for about two weeks.  I never got any explanation from this forum or from Quicken, although my problems started right around the timeframe of the infamous "One Step Update breakdown" in December.  Ultimately my issues went away and I was once again able to connect with my credit union like nothing ever happened.  BTW - I am using Quicken 2017, and while Quicken released a patch for subscription users in early January that has apparently fixed the OSU problems, it has not released a fix my version yet - so I am completely in the dark about what the problems were.  But, I am backing up daily now...
    Frankx

Thanks @Frankx. I got a busy signal trying to call Quicken support, so will try them another day. Or maybe it will resolve itself! Unfortunately, my inability to figure out those captchas created a fraud alert for the two banks and they locked my accounts. Fixed now, but not what I expected from Quicken!
    I had the same issue with those captchas - and they locked me out too!  Agree that I expect more from Quicken too!
    Frankx

• bzumwaltbzumwalt Member
    What the heck is this? When attempting to change the password to my bank account within Quicken, I'm presented with an unintelligible graphic and asked to answer the security question required by my bank to confirm my identity. Each attempt presents a different graphic that cannot be interpreted into anything meaningful.
  • NorbertHNorbertH Member
    I just went through the same CAPTCHA issue with Quicken and my bank. I engaged Quicken support via chat and they had me deactivate all accounts at the bank (Tools > Account List > Edit > Online Services > Deactivate - for each one) and then set them back up (Tools > Account List > Edit > Online Services > Set up Now) It worked. You might try that. You just have to make sure that after you set up the accounts again you link to the correct account otherwise you create duplicates. I hope that helps.
    Thanks @NorbertH! I will give that a try when I get the chance and will post my results back in this discussion. Really appreciate the quick answer!
    @bzumwalt,

I had this exact same problem a few weeks ago (mid December) with my credit union and a few others had it as well.  They are called "captchas" and here's a link to that thread  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20060008#Comment_20060008

The good news its that they eventually went away, but the bad news is that I never got an answers for what caused them to start or to end.  Among other things, some of the steps that I took to try and fix this problem included:

1) contacting my credit union
    2) contacting support
    3) doing a file validate routine = no errors
    4) doing a supervalidate routine = no errors
    5) refreshing FI information - Branding
    6) changing my passwords
    7) deactivating and then reactivating online services.

Because this happened around the same time that many, many users began having the One Step Update issues (including me) I thoughts that it may be connected to that. But I never got an answer.

Sorry I can't be more help to you.
    Frankx

• bzumwaltbzumwalt Member
    Franks, thanks so much for your reply. Still having problems tonight, but hoping it will resolve itself in time. I'm just very disappointed in Quicken's attitude and lack of support. In meantime, I'm searching for a viable alternative.