Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Having trouble with one-step update (updated title)

1495051525355»

Answers

• MarkITMarkIT Member ✭✭
    Just downloaded/installed R23.21 a couple of hours ago. Wow, is it slow. Happy to try any settings changes suggested... the previous test build was running significantly faster. Downloads from FIs are still working, so that is good.
  • The "Accepted Answer" post by Quicken Sarah on January 6 states that the patch is only for Quicken 2020, and that a new patch is coming for Quicken 2017 (please see below):

"**Please Note: The R23.21 release has been created for Quicken 2020 (subscription) product versions and is not applicable for affected Quicken Windows 2017 Users. A new patch will be coming to resolve this behavior for Quicken Windows 2017 Users.**"
  • steve parkersteve parker Member ✭✭
    Installed R23.21 today. Works as advertised. What an adventure this has been.

One strange behavior persists that maybe existed before the fiasco.
    --Start up Quicken and click Update Settings (dropdown from the Update icon).
    --After entering the vault password OSU starts, not the Update Settings window.
    --After the OSU runs you can get to the Update Settings window any time during that Quicken session.

Shouldn't you be able to get to Update Settings without first running OSU?
  • Bob@45[email protected] Member ✭✭✭
    @SteveParker: > After entering the vault password OSU starts, not the Update Settings window.

It's been that way for me for a while, and while working with this recent problem I found out why.  When you enter the vault password there are buttons at the bottom which include "Settings" and "Update Now" and "Skip". If you press Enter after entering the vault password, the "default" option used is Update Now, and you go into OSU.  Instead if you tab to or click on Settings, you'll go to the settings page. 
    > @[email protected] said:
    > @SteveParker: > After entering the vault password OSU starts, not the Update Settings window.
    >
    > It's been that way for me for a while, and while working with this recent problem I found out why.  When you enter the vault password there are buttons at the bottom which include "Settings" and "Update Now" and "Skip". If you press Enter after entering the vault password, the "default" option used is Update Now, and you go into OSU.  Instead if you tab to or click on Settings, you'll go to the settings page. 

I'm in such a habit of hitting enter! Thanks very much for pointing this out.
  • John CampbellJohn Campbell Member ✭✭
    edited January 11
    R23.21 (Quicken 2020) installed automatically - and YES, it appears that all is well (well, except for on bank asking for 2nd layer authentication, and one of my stock balances not matching due to an entry with a five digit year, haha). As Steve said, this has been quite an adventure and one that I'm sure that Quicken did not enjoy over the holidays!

Now that the dust has settled and things seem to be working, it would be nice to get a short explanation about what the problem was and how they resolved it. I'm sure that many of the users that worked through this and especially those that contributed to the solution would like to know. Thank You!!

== OOPS! Just went back to the home page and saw that Sarah did post an update and explanation under a different thread.
  • BoatnmaniacBoatnmaniac Member ✭✭✭✭
    R23.21 (Quicken 2020) seems to be worse for me than the test build was.  Since installing R23.21 four days ago the OSU hangs and Quicken black screens, freezes and crashes returned.  As with the previous 2 builds (including the test build) whether animations was turned on or off made no difference in performance.
    The first day of running R23.21 I noticed one thing between the OSU updates on 3 different data files:  Two of the data files have accounts that require 2-layer authorization and these were the data files that had the OSU issues.  The 3rd data file has no accounts requiring 2-layer authorization and OSU performed well.
    The last 3 days I experimented 6 times with the 2 files that have the 2-layer authorization accounts.  Unchecking those accounts in OSU settings allowed OSU to function well...every time.  Checking those accounts in OSU settings, again, caused OSU to not only experience these issues but also never actually updated those accounts even when OSU would complete and show them as updated.
    So, for now, I am not including accounts that require 2-layer authorization in OSU.  I can update them individually by clicking on "Update Now" in the account register screens and this works well...every time.
    (QW Premier R25.21 on Windows 10)
    If my reply has helped you resolve an issue, please "Like" it so others may know it might help them, too.
  • gustakovishgustakovish Member ✭✭
    Just to confirm update to 23.21 installed automatically and OSU is working as before.
    Wish I could get back the 2 weeks of agony over the holidays trying to figure this out and the extra load on updating 100+ accounts manually while they figured it out. Not to mention the added risk due to all the tinkering with my computer settings and multiple versions of my quicken file while trying to figure it out before they accepted it was their issue.
  • RapolRapol Member
    I was about to change to another software. My problem was not on the update of bank transactions, it was with the cloud sync. If I did one step update without the cloud sync, all was good. If I do the cloud sync, i get a dark screen exactly when downloading transactions and it hanged. I did a reset of the cloud and still got the hang. I did all the steps and no success until I did this software update. At first I got the dark screen but after a couple of minutes I had a sync error for duplicate transactions, very old transactions (from 2017 and 2018). Very odd, to show this now. The cloud sync posted those transactions automatically, duplicating them. I deleted those transactions and now, it works!!!! Probably I would have detected on my next reconciliation on those accts. Anyway I have tried twice, and SO FAR, its WORKING. Will try later on after entering a transaction. If anything goes wrong, I'll be back.
  • efc3016efc3016 Member
    i just upgraded to Quicken subscription yesterday (January 12) from Quicken 2017, so I currently have version R23.21, but am experiencing the same problem with One Step Update. It stops responding. Using Windows 10.
  • FrankxFrankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

== OOPS! Just went back to the home page and saw that Sarah did post an update and explanation under a different thread.
    I can't seem to find this explanation - can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
    Frankx

Quicken H&B-2017 - Ver. R19.8 - Build 26.1.19.8  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 1909
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Like" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Dog_ManDog_Man Member ✭✭
    edited January 14
    I just downloaded/installed Year 2020 Version R23.21 Build 27.1.23.21. This seemed to have fixed all the One Step Update issues, plus the other slowness I was experiencing in opening accounts and going from screen to screen.
  • lynnelq56lynnelq56 Member
    The test update worked for me so far, the other suggestions about turning off the animations did not, nor did updating one account at a time.
  • SandCSandC Member ✭✭
    Anybody tried the new update 24.11 that was released today? I have been successful in my updates and I am getting a bit gun shy with these updates.
  • Greg BrownGreg Brown Member ✭✭✭
    SandC said:
    Anybody tried the new update 24.11 that was released today? I have been successful in my updates and I am getting a bit gun shy with these updates.

I installed yesterday, no issues to date...
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    shobackt said:
    Soap-Box Statement -- Considering the timing (end-of-year), length (30+ days?), wide-spread exposure (multiple versions and user profiles), along with limited root cause & beta-fix communications, I agree with others that Quicken has some goodwill to recoup. After over 40 years leading IT groups and departments in Fortune 100 companies I can affirm issues will happen. How they are acknowledged, worked (and yes, this can take time), and ultimately how the resolution is communicated is key. My confidence is lower than in December. I continue to encourage Quicken to more clearly communicate what the cause was and afford those affected some level of compensation for the lack of usability of this products core-value function during this time. Individual account updating could have been done in a simple spreadsheet without a paid product. The product and its' included functions are somewhat unique in the marketplace and I continue to consider them above average. They now need to reclaim the user community confidence.
    Agreed. A communication from Eric Dunn explaining the steps Quicken will take to prevent recurrence of these issues is needed. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    I updated to 24.11 this morning and ran OSU in 4 different data files.  My observations:

1)  OSU ran much faster with none of the black/flickering screens or hangs/crashes experienced over the last month.
    2)  One FI (Midland States Bank) in one data file returned OL-297-A (can't establish an Internet connection).  Quicken states that if this happens only with one FI it is likely a server issue so I'll try, again, later.
    3) Accounts requiring 2-layer authentication:  OSU allowed me to enter the authentication codes without any issue for two different accounts in two different data files, so that is an improvement.  One of those accounts updated properly via OSU and I haven't seen that happen for several weeks. (Previously updates could only be successfully completed via "Update Now" from the account register screen.)  But the other account in a different data file still showed in OSU Summary that the account had been updated but when clicking on the link under the account name in OSU Summary it showed that it had not been updated.   I was able to successfully update this account via "Update Now".
    4) One account not requiring 2-layer authentication:  The OSU Summary showed it had been updated but when clicking on the link below that account name it showed that it had not.  It did update successfully and download transactions via "Update Now."
    5) Switching between accounts/tabs seems to be faster and smoother.

I'm reserving judgment on 24.11 until after I run OSU a few more times but it does appear to be a good improvement.

If my reply has helped you resolve an issue, please "Like" it so others may know it might help them, too.
    Just want to thank Sarah and the Quicken team for keeping everyone posted and for their hard word during this OSU debacle.

Everything is good now with Build 27.1.23.21 - Quicken 2019. In fact, as others have noted program seems to run better than before.

That said, I declined the update made available this morning!!! :D
  • RWGH&BRWGH&B Member ✭✭
    > @mshiggins said:
    > (Quote)
    > Agreed. A communication from Eric Dunn explaining the steps Quicken will take to prevent recurrence of these issues is needed. 
  • RWGH&BRWGH&B Member ✭✭
    I have also been in the IT business for 40 yrs and a Quicken user since 1996.
    "shobackt" comments below are well written and I too have lost confidence, and I have concerns about the viability of Quicken going forward. I am a 2017 user and I fully intended to upgrade to subscription at the beginning of this year but certainly not in the middle of the recent issues. Too add insult to injury Quicken kept flashing a 40% upgrade discount - last day advertisement screen during the outage. I agree with "shobackt" that Quicken should clearly communicate the cause of the of the outage and affect some level of compensation to it's customers.

shobackt said:
    Soap-Box Statement -- Considering the timing (end-of-year), length (30+ days?), wide-spread exposure (multiple versions and user profiles), along with limited root cause & beta-fix communications, I agree with others that Quicken has some goodwill to recoup. After over 40 years leading IT groups and departments in Fortune 100 companies I can affirm issues will happen. How they are acknowledged, worked (and yes, this can take time), and ultimately how the resolution is communicated is key. My confidence is lower than in December. I continue to encourage Quicken to more clearly communicate what the cause was and afford those affected some level of compensation for the lack of usability of this products core-value function during this time. Individual account updating could have been done in a simple spreadsheet without a paid product. The product and its' included functions are somewhat unique in the marketplace and I continue to consider them above average. They now need to reclaim the user community confidence.
  • Dave22Dave22 Member ✭✭
    edited January 17
    I've updated to 24.11 and OSU works fine. It hickuped on one account yesterday, but updated on the next attempt. Updated without an issue this morning as well. Mixture of banks, investments, credit cards (14 in all).
    I still have animations turned off, and that is fine with me.
  • MsLMMsLM Member
    I had not experienced any One Step Update problems until today, when the updated accounts showed flags and updated balances, but did not download any transactions. I applied the patch from the support page on this topic, re-ran One Step Update, and everything was fine. Just checking in on this as requested.
  • TheHarTheHar Member ✭✭
    Two things:
    1. Does animation needs to be turned back on?
    2. Cloud updated does not appear on OSU selection on my OSU.
  • steve usersteve user Member ✭✭
    Once on 24.11 I I was able to get OSU to work once, but Quicken now crashes randomly when entering transactions, clicking on Bills & Income etc. pathetic...
    @Quicken Sarah

You sent me a message saying someone would be in contact. they still have not...

I cannot do a OSU yet and

I do think that some of the users may have pointed out that it does seem to be linked to 2FA accounts like Kohls and Menards (Cap one)...

When will this be fixed????

I am on Win 10 1909
    Quicken R24.11 27.1.24.11
    Animations OFF

Uploaded "Report a Problem after last taskmanager kill...
    Yes, there are on-going issues with 2FA accounts during OSU.  Sometimes those accounts will update and sometimes they won't.  I can't rely on the update status shown on the OSU Summary because that will almost always show the 2FA accounts were updated but when clicking on the link under the accounts listed in the OSU Summary it is common to see that they were not actually updated.  I've gotten to the point where I've removed them from OSU and update them separately via Update Now (which always seems to work).
    This issue with the OSU Summary (showing accounts are updated but actually were not) also happens sometimes with non-2FA accounts (both EWC and DC) but not nearly as often.  As with the 2FA accounts having this issue, running Update Now will usually provide the desired results.
    All this makes me wonder if the issue is a more universal OSU issue and that 2FA might be simply aggravating a larger issue.
  • I did not have the OSU problem until applying the last update around Jan 20 2020. Then my screen went bonkers during OSU. I went into settings to turn off animation and found that it was not turned on. The temp fix was applied and that appears to have fixed the issue, but it is now painfully slow.

Version 2020 R24.11 27.1.24.11
    > @steve user said:
    > @Quicken Sarah
    >
    > You sent me a message saying someone would be in contact. they still have not...
    >
    > I cannot do a OSU yet and
    >
    > I do think that some of the users may have pointed out that it does seem to be linked to 2FA accounts like Kohls and Menards (Cap one)...
    >
    > When will this be fixed????
    >
    > I am on Win 10 1909
    > Quicken R24.11 27.1.24.11
    > Animations OFF
    >
    > Uploaded "Report a Problem after last taskmanager kill...
    >
    >
    >

disabled all y 2FA accounts and still have lockup / frozen after hours... cannot use OSU on 24.11
  • khattrupkhattrup Member ✭✭
    edited January 25
    (Duplicate-Removed)
This discussion has been closed.