Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Taking RMD - indicates ZERO shares avail

work208
work208 Member ✭✭
I took my RMD for the year taking out of 2 accounts and adding it to 1 account that is not in my IRA account. In Quicken when I try to post the transactions, I get this message "Number of shares selected is more that the available. Maximum available shares on this security is 0." In the account taking money out of has 671.168405 shares and the account putting the money in has 804.776 shares. The amount I'm trying to transfer only has 38.207 shares. Anyone had this error happen to them and what did you do to fix it?

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    It could be HOW you are trying to move them.
    See this thread that describes a foolproof method of doing it:

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • work208
    work208 Member ✭✭
    The website you suggested had nothing to do with my problem.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    So this is not really an RMD question - but more about a transaction with "zero" shares.
    How are you entering your transactions - are they downloaded via One Step Update -
    or manually - are they entered as a Withdrawal, Sold, Transfer ?
    EDIT - updated topic title to better reflect actual Q&A -

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • work208
    work208 Member ✭✭
    Yes RMD has to do with it but that is not what is causing the problem.I enter it manually as a Sold transaction. I have done this the same way for about 7 years but this year is the first time I am getting a window error window saying can't do the transaction because there is a 0 shares in the account. The "Security Detail View" is where it says 0 shares in account. In this account in Quicken, it shows 671.168405 shares which matches my Investor company's statement.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to see a screen grab of the Security Detail info -
    Nothing weird in the -  transaction history listing,
    multiple accounts holding same security are all ok, or ??
    I can't think of how the detail view listing would be wrong - compared to the history -

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10