Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Descriptions of Categories Corrupted

I noticed that the descriptions of some of my categories were messed up so I corrected them. I shut down the program at some point. The next time I started the program, I noticed that the descriptions that I had fixed were all messed up again.

I have also tried creating a brand new category, transferring all the transactions from the category with the messed up description, deleting the old category, shutting down and restarting. The description of the new category is messed up.

From what I can tell, the descriptions are changing to a memo description of random transactions. For example, my category 'Sales and Use Tax' was given the description 'Lease Payment Sales Tax'. The description was changed to '11.34 EUR' after shutting down the program and restarting.
Tagged:

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like something damaged your Quicken data file. Did you have a crash in Quicken or Windows or an unexpected power outage?

Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• I followed all the steps as instructed. Then I corrected the category descriptions (and saved the list to excel) and closed Quicken. When I opened Quicken again and checked the descriptions, they were changed to nonsense names as previously stated.

When I ran the supervalidation, there were only 3 issues which were very minor:
    'Corrected 3 Bought or Shares Added transactions that were incorrectly
    categorized as a realized gain.'

This issue has persisted for years. I just never got around to reporting it.