Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

IRA contribution auto-entered twice/double-counted

Referencing the closed discussion https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7835988/ira-contribution-auto-entered-twice-double-counted I am still having the same problem. This problem is not resolved, and hence the conversation should not be closed.

Please see the attached image.

The yellow-highlighted pieces should match but they do not.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The status of a conversation does not indicate whether an issue is resolved or not. 

As was explained in the referenced conversation, there can be many reasons a downloaded transaction does not match an existing transaction in an investment register.  If you're not able to manually match the transaction, I suggest you mark the transaction as cleared and delete the downloaded transaction.  

If you really want to try to figure out why a match isn't occurring automatically, you'll need to provide a lot more information or perform the analysis yourself.  In addition to the transaction entered in the account, other areas to examine include the OFX log for the imported transaction, downloaded transactions and transfer detection preference settings, and renaming rules.
  • chitownhockey
    chitownhockey Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock...is this an inherent issue with ContribX, BoughtX and SellX investment transactions?  Seems that Quicken can't/won't match these because of the "two transactions in one" feature.

IF the user entered this as a transfer from a cash source and then a BUY transaction, I assume the downloaded match would take place correctly.  But the fact that it's a ContribX (a transfer and a buy in one), Quicken won't match that.

But I could be wrong with that.  It's been a while since we had 401K or IRA contributions.  
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock...is this an inherent issue with ContribX, BoughtX and SellX investment transactions?  Seems that Quicken can't/won't match these because of the "two transactions in one" feature.

IF the user entered this as a transfer from a cash source and then a BUY transaction, I assume the downloaded match would take place correctly.  But the fact that it's a ContribX (a transfer and a buy in one), Quicken won't match that.

But I could be wrong with that.  It's been a while since we had 401K or IRA contributions.  
    @chitownhocke:  I can't say whether this is an inherent issue with ContribX or not.  I have not had any issues matching BoughtX or SellX transactions to imported Bought and Sell transactions.  I do know that if I can't manually match a downloaded transaction, I can mark the transaction as cleared, delete the imported transaction, and move on.  The inability to match a ContribX transaction would not be a big deal to me but I can see how it might be an issue to others.

A ContribX is not a transfer and a buy in one.  It is an transfer similar to the XIn in regular brokerage accounts.  My understanding is the ContribX adds the specification of a year to track annual cash contributions. Recall IRA contributions for the previous year may be entered in the current year until the April 15th filing deadline.