Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Support Hi Res Monitors

Please solve the awkward manner in which customers with Hi Res Monitors (e.g. 2560 X 1440) handle quicken views, registers, etc. I constantly have to resize windows and columns as i deal with each account. Got to believe that this a common frustration with many users with Hi Res Monitors.
19 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have to monitors (3840 x 2160) and I do not have these issues.  I am using Q2020 R23.18 and Windows 10.  I have the Scale and Layout setting in Display set to 175%.

I use Quicken only in a non-full screen mode.  I set the windows size, then set all of the columns register views etc. then exit Quicken.  When I reopen it there is no need to resize or mess with the columns in registers.

What is frustrating is that if I where to and use Quicken on my laptop where the resolution is different then I do have to mess with this because Quicken doesn't have the ability to scale these settings up or down.

There is quite a bit of old code in Q and that makes it very, Very, VERY had to truly support Hi Res monitors without having to rewrite Q from the ground up.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭
    I have heard how old the Q code is for some time. Are there any plans to rewrite in newer/better code?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    CMRater said:
    I have heard how old the Q code is for some time.
    That's pretty funny. It's not getting any younger.
    Are there any plans to rewrite in newer/better code?
    We fellow users are not privy to that information.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • pviellieux
    pviellieux Member ✭✭
    Getting tired of moving/resizing the window every time I open it.
  • pviellieux
    pviellieux Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Well, I didn't know about the old code but that explains why when you do resize a window, it constantly refreshes and is so slow to respond. Reminds me of doing high-end CAD work back in the '90's. Wasn't there an announcement a few months back that they had updated something with the graphics?

Regardless, if they want to stay relevant, they need to do whatever it takes to get it up to date. 4K monitors (and higher) are here to stay, and becoming more and more common. Try to keep up. I've never been a fan of Quicken, I only switched to it because (removed) which I liked a lot better.
  • pviellieux
    pviellieux Member ✭✭
    Hard to believe there are only 3 votes on this topic.
  • fchatfield
    fchatfield Member ✭✭
    I switched from Mac to PC and the Windows version makes my eyes bleed. I spend more time messing with the setting trying to get it to look ok than I do actually using it. The desktop is soooo bad. I may just try to use the mobile and web when I can ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Ray
    Ray Member ✭✭✭
    I just checked to see if there was anything new on the blurry Quicken display on 4K monitors but didn't find any solution other that what I posted last May. 

See https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7852835/quicken-display-on-4k-monitor-is-fuzzy
  • scott.kramer
    scott.kramer Member ✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Adding my vote here to have quicken add support for higher-resolution screens, I’m have extremely large text being blown up on the screen which makes work impossible
  • pviellieux
    pviellieux Member ✭✭
    Well, since Quicken won't fix this issue, I came up with one that works pretty well. Download and install PowerToys for Windows 10. Use the FancyZones tool to set up a custom zone sized and positioned where you want Quicken to be. Scroll down in the PowerToys/FancyZones window and check the box for "Move newly created windows to their last known zone". Hold down the Shift key and drag the Quicken window into the new zone.

Now close Quicken and then re-open it. Surprise! It does what it's supposed to.
  • pviellieux
    pviellieux Member ✭✭
    > @CMRater said:
    > I have heard how old the Q code is for some time. Are there any plans to rewrite in newer/better code?

Pretty sure Q code was written in QBasic back in MS-DOS 5.0
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @CMRater said:
    > I have heard how old the Q code is for some time. Are there any plans to rewrite in newer/better code?

Pretty sure Q code was written in QBasic back in MS-DOS 5.0
    Not likely even for the original Quicken that was DOS based, but certainly not since the Windows version first came out.  It is definitely in C++ with probably a lot of the newer stuff in C#.  But that still puts some of the code back in the 90s.

If you look at the Tax Planner, Lifetime Planner, Capitol Gains Estimator, and most of the Business "forms" they are all from the "the Desktop is the web" era, which is to say in the late 1990s.  They are in fact ActiveX web pages.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/