Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

I can't update my bank account at SunTrust Bank

For 2 days now If i try to use One Step Update for my SunTrust bank account quicken freezes up. same thing if I try to use update for the same account. If i remove the check mark from the bank in One Step Update everything else updates with no problem. I called support and they were no help at all. Called twice and they said they knew about the problem and were working on it but had no idea when it would be fixed. I have used Quicken since the DOS days and have never had this problem before. I cannot pay my bills or download my bank transactions. This needs to be fixed soon!

Best Answer

• Jon ReinhardtJon Reinhardt ✭✭
    edited December 2019 Accepted Answer
    I finally Got my SunTrust Banking account working. I decided to Deactivate Online services for SunTrust and then set up Online Services again. I had done this twice already but they must have done something with the Quicken Servers because this time it fixed the problem. Rob Charnell try Deactivating your online service and reactivating it. Before you do it Write down all the info on the General tab in the bank account details. and make sure you know your password. BTW the password for SunTrust bank to look at your account online and the password for Quicken may be different. Quicken won't allow a password longer than 8 characters and does not require a special character and my password for online at SunTrust is nine characters and must have a special character. So in my case the two passwords are different. I turned animations back on in Quicken and that does not cause a problem.

Answers

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you seen this announcement and especially the update notice?
    This should fix your problem, I hope. If not, please call Quicken Support and also let us know here.

• Turning off animation DOES NOT WORK for me. The program hangs up every time I try to update my SunTrust bank account.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because you had crashes or had to kill Quicken with the Task Manager several times ...
    Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.

Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• Thanks for your suggestions. I consider myself a Quicken Power User. I had already tried everything you suggested in Troubleshooting 101. I did a validate and a super validate they come back with no errors. I have quicken on 2 machines: a desktop and a laptop. Both machines exhibit the same problem. The problem is almost certain to be with the Quicken Servers and Quicken Support has admitted as much. The freeze has changed slightly It used to freeze with the word "waiting..." showing when I tried to do an update. It now sometime gets past the waiting stage and hangs up on the next stage which is "Updating financial institution information..." This happens on both computers with animation on or off. after it freezes the only way to get quicken closed is to click on the red X in the upper right of the popup window which brings up a Windows 10 close the program box which of course warns you might lose information but you have no choice but to terminate the program. I always run the latest version and it is R23.17 Build 27.1.23.17 on both computers.
  • Hey Jon, I have similar issues since late last week with Suntrust and Quicken. I only get an acknowledgement from Quicken when I attempt to do an update on the bank account (CC800) I get an error from Quicken stating it might be a temporary Quicken server issue. When I proceed with an Update again it comes back with 'Please Enter Your Passwords' and Suntrust Bank. The only option I have at this point is to just select Suntrust Bank and select OK, but nothing ever comes back. I haven't attempted to deactivate the bank account, turning off Quicken Billpay features for Suntrust, thinking maybe Quicken support is in fact working to resolve a quicken server issue. It's been over 4 days, so i'm going to need a backup or workaround plan pretty soon.
  • Jon ReinhardtJon Reinhardt Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019 Accepted Answer
    I finally Got my SunTrust Banking account working. I decided to Deactivate Online services for SunTrust and then set up Online Services again. I had done this twice already but they must have done something with the Quicken Servers because this time it fixed the problem. Rob Charnell try Deactivating your online service and reactivating it. Before you do it Write down all the info on the General tab in the bank account details. and make sure you know your password. BTW the password for SunTrust bank to look at your account online and the password for Quicken may be different. Quicken won't allow a password longer than 8 characters and does not require a special character and my password for online at SunTrust is nine characters and must have a special character. So in my case the two passwords are different. I turned animations back on in Quicken and that does not cause a problem.
This discussion has been closed.