Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Bank name on Quicken "Add Account" all messed up, - HELP is it still safe to use.

deex2deex2 Member ✭✭
HI i'm trying to add an account in my Quicken profile/file. The bank i need is "Orange Count's Credit Union - New" when i type that in this comes up "Orange County’s Credit Union - New". See how after County's it has these funky symbols at the end... which it shouldn't. Can anybody tell me why it is coming up like that and is it safe to use? I tried to ask about it and report it yesterday, but because i don't have "a subscription" the guy wouldn't help me. I was trying to let them know so they could fix it and he wouldn't do anything.

Comments

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Quicken web/app will only work for current subscribers. Even if you could add the CU, it will not update without a subscription.
    The web and mobile apps are only companion apps and still must be used with the desktop version.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 2004
  • deex2deex2 Member ✭✭
    WHAT??? I update my Quicken files manually with the bank no problem. I have no idea what you are talking about nor do i see how it answered my question.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You posted your question to Quicken on the web. How else should I interpreter your question?
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 2004
  • deex2deex2 Member ✭✭
    By reading the question
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Well... let's see - I'll fix up your Topic Title issues, and reply overall...
    - Asked moderator to move this posting to the "downloading" Windows sub-group
    - Below is what the Orange County NEW entry looks like -
    so must have been a bad char -
    - You need a current version or "subscription"
    to enable any of the online access features... else totally manual data entry -
    - You need a currently supported version - to get any Quicken Support
    - What version do you have ..... - Help --> About Quicken
    18454    18454    18454    Orange County’s Credit Union - New    https://www.orangecountyscu.org    1-888-354-6228    https://www.orangecountyscu.org    ACTIVE        
    BANKING&WEB-CONNECT        
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT   
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • Hello deex2,

Thank you for providing the details of this issue to the Community, although I apologize for any frustration you may be experiencing.

We will need a bit more information to be able to assist you further. Please take a moment to review the information available here and post back to let us know what version/release of Quicken you're using.

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie 

• deex2deex2 Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken_Natalie said:
    > Hello deex2,
    >
    > Thank you for providing the details of this issue to the Community, although I apologize for any frustration you may be experiencing.
    >
    > We will need a bit more information to be able to assist you further. Please take a moment to review the information available here and post back to let us know what version/release of Quicken you're using.
    >
    > The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Natalie 

Deluxe 2017
  • deex2deex2 Member ✭✭
    Natalie I'm not having an issue with Quicken on my PC I'm just asking a question as you read in my initial question. the name of my bank has some odd characters to it on your site not on my PC. When I type in the bank name on your site where the whole list of bank names comes up, my banks name is screwed up. I just want to make sure that the link is safe to use
    edited December 2019
    deex2 said:
     the name of my bank has some odd characters to it on your site not on my PC.
    I'll let the others chime in....
    BUT - where and how are you displaying this "list" -
    Do you mean within the Quicken program --> Add Account --
    which is not on the Quicken "site", but in youir Quicken program -
    AHHHHH ---- I see what you mean -
    very weird, as I pointed out above, it is NOT in the current config  text file.
    Well... looks like the bank text name file has some embedded "invalid" hex chars.
    The only valid chars should be from 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 --> 7F - space (20)

4f 72 61 6e 67 65 20 --> Orange
    43 6f 75 6e 74 79 e2 80 99 73 20 --> County’s
    43 72 65 64 69 74 20 --> Credit
    55 6e 69 6f 6e 20 --> Union
    2d 20 --> -
    4e 65 77  --> New

• deex2deex2 Member ✭✭
    That is strange isn't it? I wonder why this is all of a sudden has it wasn't like that the other day and I wonder if it's safe to connect to?
    edited December 2019
    seems ok - it's just a text file that is updated when you run One Step Update -
    listing all avail Quicken supported - - Financial Institutions -
    I have updated my text posting above with the HEX chars that are invalid -
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Don't worry about it. Those characters aren't used anywhere except in the display of the CU name. You can get funny characters if whoever entered that data record in FIDIR.TXT accidentally used a non-ASCII character like Right Single Quotation Mark instead of Apostrophe '.

This is why text files should be edited with text editors, not word processors. A word processor like Microsoft Word will helpfully substitute curly quotes for standard straight quotes. Opening the file with Word shows the error:

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS, if it bothers you enough, you can edit the FIDIR.TXT file yourself and fix it.
    First you have to find the file; it depends on your Quicken version. Mine is in
    C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2019\fidir.txt
    Open it in Notepad or your favorite plain text editor, search for 18454, and replace the curly quote with an apostrophe.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
This discussion has been closed.