Bill and Income Reminders window resizes to full screen

I have Quicken Deluxe year: 2020, Version: R23.17, Build: 27.1.23.17. My issue is that the "Bill and Income Reminders window resizes to full screen" as well as the "Accounts List". This is extremely annoying. Sometimes after an update it works a couple of time, but then it starts doing this again. This used to be working just fine before I went into the subscription model. Since the big selling point of this subscription model was that bug fixes would come to us much faster, can you please fix this? I saw in other posts from several months ago that people have had the same issue. I have been experiencing this for several months, but I just had enough and decided to open this discussion. i am also no the phone with the technical support and it's basically useless.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
  • Thanks for the suggestion, but I have the subscription. I just updated it with the latest version and the problem is still there. Now I have version R23.18.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I have the subscription. I just updated it with the latest version and the problem is still there. Now I have version R23.18.
    If you did not follow the instructions provided, the apparent corruption in your environment is likely to continue.
  • I uninstalled my Quicken and reinstalled it by following the instructions in https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken and I am still having the same problem.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I uninstalled my Quicken and reinstalled it by following the instructions in https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken and I am still having the same problem.
    That implies the corruption is in the data file.  You may confirm this by creating a test data file: select File > New Quicken File...

If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

• Thanks, Sherlock, but I created a new Quicken file and still had the same problem. I also followed the instructions in https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows and did a copy then validate and still had the same problem. I don't understand why Quicken won't solve this problem, especially because this was working fine for many, many years before. I am not the only person having this issue.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Sherlock, but I created a new Quicken file and still had the same problem. I also followed the instructions in https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows and did a copy then validate and still had the same problem. I don't understand why Quicken won't solve this problem, especially because this was working fine for many, many years before. I am not the only person having this issue.
    So, we're back to something in the program's environment.

As you indicated the behavior corrected itself on an upgrade, perhaps the behavior is impacted by how Quicken is launched.  I use the Start Menu shortcut.  If you use a shortcut to launch Quicken, I suggest you check the shortcut's properties.  Run: should be Normal Window and Compatibility mode should not be checked.
  • I launch the program the same way you do, via the Start Menu. I checked the shortcut's properties and it is set as Normal Window and Compatibility Mode is not checked. At this point I am giving up unless Quicken comes up with a fix for this. The workaround I am using is to set the window to the size I want and just minimize it instead of closing it; this way I get the window to pop-up with the same size I set before minimizing it. Of course when I close Quicken or if I close the pop-up window, the same thing happens. Thanks for trying to help me with this.
  • raynmain
    raynmain Member
    Please fix!! i am running the most recent online subscription (R23.21 27.1.23.21). Still happens after creating a new file or validate/repair.
  • DCC1
    DCC1 Member ✭✭
    Not sure if this is worth mentioning or not, but I have the same issue and searched out the forums about this several months ago. What I found out was this happens on laptops, not desktops. Quicken knows about it and just chooses to ignore the problem. I pretty much do what you're doing. Minimize after resizing the screen. However, that won't work on the accounts list. And yes, it's very annoying.
  • RSL
    RSL Member
    Having the same problem. Updated to the latest release for the windows subscription application . Problem only happens on my new windows 10 HP laptop
  • Same problem for me.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I believe that the problem listed above, and the one listed in this thread are caused by the same thing:

If the user has certain "Accessibility/Ease of Access" modes on (or a program like one that injects keyboard strokes into a program setting such a mode) it triggers thinking that the person might be using a screen reader.  For instance turning on Narrator or Magnifier will do this.

When this happens Quicken is put in a "Accessibility mode" and one of the ramifications of that is that it will maximize all pop up windows, like the Bill and Income, and the Account list, Category list, ...

It does this because at least some of the screen readers work on what is on the screen and this gives the best chance that the whole window contents can be read.

Years ago there was a request to have a way to override this, but they never put that in.  But I think at one point Quicken stopped doing this, maybe in Quicken 2017.

Well it seems that problem is back.  My guess is that it was when they put back the "overlay window" on top of Quicken so that they can have the global search and other buttons where they really don't belong.

Note Quicken does this detection at start up.  You can test by turning on Narrator and then start Quicken.  And then do Ctrl+a to bring up the account list.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • The above isn't my problem. Just checked on Windows 10. I don't have any of the ease of access/accessibility modes turned on.
  • DCC1
    DCC1 Member ✭✭
    This issue continues (R27.28, Windows 10 Pro 2004). Bill and Income Reminder window opens full screen and I can hit Restore and the window will go to a pre-defined size. When I open Manage Accounts, it too goes to full screen, but it will not go to a pre-defined size when I hit restore. I must drag a corner with the mouse to the size I desire. The Category List, however, opens properly. I've had this problem for several years now and keep hoping for a fix.
  • Ray
    Ray Member ✭✭✭
    I have Windows 10 Pro and just updated Windows to Version 2004. I have dual 4K monitors and run Quicken in comparability mode to get rid of the fuzzy font. I don't have any Ease of Access enabled.

I have Q HBR 2020 R27.42 Build 27.1.27.42. I check for updates but it says this is the latest. It too opens Bill and Income Reminder full screen every time. The Account List also opens full screen. The rest open to the last size I made them.
  • Brad Nagar
    Brad Nagar Member ✭✭
    I spent 2 hours on the phone with support and they have no idea what the cause might be except to deflect blame on the local environment. Told me to contact Microsoft or pc maker (HP) to resolve. LOL.
This discussion has been closed.