Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Suntrust Bank Password Issue

About 2 weeks ago Quicken 2020 Home and Business prompted me that I needed to enter a new password for my Suntrust checking account to be able to access this account through one step update. I went to my online institution directly to check to see if the password update was being requested...which it wasn't. In an effort to try and get my quicken account to sync. I went ahead and updated my banking password which requires the use of upper and lower case, as well as, special characters. Now when I go into Quicken, it is asking me to update my bank account password, but it will not accept the special characters. Now, I feel like I am stuck in an endless loop, and I can't get my banking transaction to download or upload. How do I get out?

As a note, other accounts with the same institution and their own password are still functioning normally.

I went online and chatted with a customer service rep. I was told this was an ongoing issue, and there was no time of restoration yet. Case #7253562. I have looked online for others having the same issue, but I don't see anything recent. Hopefully someone on the forum can help me out.

Comments

• Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @Scott Lawrence

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue and your recent contact with Support with the Community, although I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced and for the information provided by the Support Agent.

There is not a known and/or open issue connecting accounts with SunTrust Bank, however, I looked further into this matter and reviewed the login credential requirements set by SunTrust Bank in Master List of Financial Institutions or "FIDIR" as it is otherwise called.

The FIDIR tells Quicken which Financial Institutions support Quicken, what connection methods they support and what the requirements to login are.  In the case of SunTrust Bank, their unique requirements show that special characters are not required, as seen in the snipped below:

To permanently resolve this issue, the Financial Institution (SunTrust Bank) must submit an update of information request to our Service Providers and change the "<SPECIAL> N" to be "<SPECIAL> Y" in the login requirements section of the OFX File.

Alternatively, you may be able to workaround this issue by selecting to save the password in the One Step Update Settings window by manually entering the password and clicking the "Save" box > Apply > Update Now.

I hope this information is helpful and please let us know how it goes.

Thank you,

Sarah

• Sarah,
    Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. I will see what I can do with my financial institiution regarding this request.

When, I try to use the work around as suggested it takes me to the Change Suntrust Password screen in Quicken. On this screen it will not let you enter special characters such as punctuation which is required by the bank as part of the new password. Therefore, I haven't figured out a way to make this work around work.

So for now, I am still stuck. I still don't understand why Quicken was asking me to update the password for my bank, even though the bank wasn't requesting this information when I logged directly onto their site. It also doesn't make sense to me as to why Quicken would be blocking the use of special characters when this is the norm in the industry for all secure passwords.

Scott
  • Update:
    After spending about 45 minutes with Suntrust, it was determined that the connectivity issue was not directly on their side or with the OFX file, and I needed to contact Quicken directly. I then spent about 1 1/2 hours on the phone with Quicken support (the first 50 min or so on hold waiting on an agent). The agent then walked me through deactivating my Suntrust accounts and then re-establishing them. The only way we could get this process to work was to turn off the Bill Pay feature to get to the bank transactions to download. At this point, we then worked through the process of getting the 6 digit PIN from Suntrust via text, to establish the connection. So for now, I am back in business as far as downloading transactions from my bank. However, I no longer have the ability to use Quicken to setup online Bill Pay with the bank. I think something about this feature and my bank has changed, but I haven't been able to get to the bottom of it (maybe with the Suntrust and BB&T merger). My next steps will be to go back to the bank to see what can be done to reestablish this feature.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @""Scott Lawrence" ,

Wrong!

When you Deactivate Online Services for SunTrust Bank is Okay.
    But when you do a Set Up Now, it defaults to Express Web Connect, which is why you have been having problems.

Go to File. Click New Quicken File. Dot New Quicken Account. Click OK. Click Checking Account. You will see SunTrust Bank. Ignore it. At the bottom of the Window, click Advanced Setup. Type in SunTrust Bank and click Next.

Now you have your Choices.

The Connection must be Direct Connect for SunTrust Bank Bill Pay to work.

Also the Password is different from the Website login. You need to use the Pin Number, originally signed to you. When once connected, you might be prompted to change it again for Security Purposes.

Questions or Comments?
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R28.16 & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.5
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 20190.1000

Information: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7871028/quicken-bill-pay-discontinues-on-5-31-20-introducing-quicken-bill-manager

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• MountainesMountaines Member ✭✭
    The one thing that I didn't understand here is what on the earth that Quicken asking me to update my password while the bank doesn't leave me any instructions. why would be Quicken lifting off the special characters norm in the industry for all security passwords? SunTrust always stands for their customers, just reach out to them through toll-free number or email your issue you get a reply in 48 working hours. If you are having trouble resetting your password online contact your Company System Administrator, or know SunTrust hours before you make a physical interaction with the CSA. https://www.knowhours.com/suntrust-hours/
This discussion has been closed.