Can I have multiple versions of Quicken installed?

I currently have Home & Business 2017.
I am now retired.
Can I upgrade to the new subscription Premier and either:
a. Still have read only access to my business data? or
b. Leave 2017 H&B installed for that purpose and install 2020 Premier in parallel for the future?

Comments

• Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1
    Yes, you can have 2 versions installed, but we generally don't recommend it because they can interfere with each other. They will share common files in ProgramData and AppData, each Quicken unaware of the other. You can try it and see how it works for you, but make sure you keep backups of your data and maybe even create a Windows Restore Point before you install the new version.
    Here's the secret: when you install the new version, and you see the very first prompt "Let's go", hold down CTRL while you click "Let's go". Then the new version will not uninstall the old version. You should see a pop-up advising you of that.
    Make sure you install the new version to a different subfolder of C:\Program Files (x86) otherwise you'll clobber the old version.

[EDIT] This trick no longer works. See @splasher 's & @thecreator 's comments below.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • J_MikeJ_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

a. Still have read only access to my business data?
    It is my understanding that you still have full access (read & write) to all of the data.
    The account types unique to H&B become regular asset & liability accounts.
    What you lose is the business reporting capabilities unique to H&B.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rocket J Squirrel  I was under the impression multiple versions was not possible if one of the versions was subscription.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am now retired.
    Can I upgrade to the new subscription Premier and either:
    a. Still have read only access to my business data? or
    b. Leave 2017 H&B installed for that purpose and install 2020 Premier in parallel for the future?
    Hi @""Clive Walden" ,

If you know how to use a Virtual Machine or you know how to set up a Dual-Boot Computer, you can keep Quicken 2017 H&B in one partition and use Quicken Premier Subscription product in the other operating system.

You can indeed dual-boot between two copies of Windows 10, on the same computer.

I know because I am. Each operating system has its own partition, but I use MBR Disks and have access to Virtual BCD Editor to edit the description of the BCD Store.

Documents has its own partition. This is on a Desktop Computer.
    splasher said:
    @Rocket J Squirrel  I was under the impression multiple versions was not possible if one of the versions was subscription.
    I don't have any pre-subscription versions any more I can install. I just tried installing a different subscription version alongside my existing one, and it did indeed silently remove the existing version. Thanks for the correction.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Subscription Product contains QCleanUi to make sure that Quicken can be installed without problems.
    Ah, yes, that’s right. I’d forgotten that.
  • Clive WaldenClive Walden Member ✭✭
    > @J_Mike said:
    > (Quote)
    > It is my understanding that you still have full access (read & write) to all of the data.
    > The account types unique to H&B become regular asset & liability accounts.
    > What you lose is the business reporting capabilities unique to H&B.

If that's true, that would be (nearly) perfect. I don't expect to need much access to old business data, but I can't really afford to consign it to bit heaven in case an old customer or the IRS has some legacy question.
    Is there some way I can confirm before taking the plunge?
    > @J_Mike said:
    > (Quote)
    > It is my understanding that you still have full access (read & write) to all of the data.
    > The account types unique to H&B become regular asset & liability accounts.
    > What you lose is the business reporting capabilities unique to H&B.

If that's true, that would be (nearly) perfect. I don't expect to need much access to old business data, but I can't really afford to consign it to bit heaven in case an old customer or the IRS has some legacy question.
    Is there some way I can confirm before taking the plunge?
    If you made a Windows System Image backup prior to doing this, you could restore it if you did not like the results.
    Or, how about installing subscription on a different computer just to see if it is okay?

splasher said:
    I don't have any pre-subscription versions any more I can install. I just tried installing a different subscription version alongside my existing one, and it did indeed silently remove the existing version. Thanks for the correction.
    I just tested this with an installed version of QW2017 in a VM.  Even though it states that it is not going to check to see if there is a previous version of Quicken installed (and thus not un-install it), Q still deletes the existing version and then does the install of Quicken.

It occurred to me that you could have 2 versions if you install Subscription first, then reinstall the older version because the latter won’t have QCleanUI built in.
This discussion has been closed.