Extremely Slow Performance

I am using the latest version of Quicken 2020. The Program is HORRIBLY slow. Every time I enter a transaction, or switch between accounts, there is a significant lag of 30 - 75 seconds. For example, I am deleting a "Tag" in the "tag list" It took a total of 26 seconds to complete the deletion. I read some other posts about deleting reminders. It took over 20 seconds for the reminder to be "ignored". Generally speaking, it takes close to 25 seconds for each and every transaction or other action that I try to enter or accomplish.

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Jose
    Jose Member ✭✭
    no. It is in a dedicated folder in the documents folder/library. However, all of my data files are on a separate internal "D" drive.
  • Jose
    Jose Member ✭✭
    Just to follow up. My "C" drive is an SSD and only operating system and program files reside there. I have a separate "D" drive which is actually a mirrored RAID setup with traditional spinning drives.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Have you tried starting your computer in Safe Mode with Networking and then running Quicken?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Please provide more details about your Quicken data file.

I'd like to know if you have account registers where a single account is approaching or exceeding 16,000 transactions.

And I'd also like to see the "File Information" window  (See below)

Is any cloud backup software actively accessing your Quicken data file while Quicken is running?
    What is the complete file name of your Quicken data file  (e.g. C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)?

How much total RAM do you have installed?

What version of Windows are you running?

About file size and number of transactions:

You can find out how many transactions you have in your data file by doing this:
    - Click Tools / Account List. This should tell you how many transactions you have in each of your accounts in an optional column, "# of Transactions".
    If this column is not shown in the Account List, click the Options button at the bottom of the Account List window, then click "Number of Transactions" to add the column.

- Click Help in the Menu Bar. CTRL+click About Quicken and it'll give you a File Information box. Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box and attach it here.
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and newer) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF.

To attach the image here, start composing your response. At the top of the text entry window you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I S
    Click the landscape "Attach image" icon. It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

• Jose
    Jose Member ✭✭
    I have not. I assume that you are suggesting to try and add programs in to see if they are interfering? I'll give it a try.
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Not sure how much patience you have... 

For me, I would do the following. 
    QCleanui procedure following the 2017 instruction for renaming folders (it is built in but still misses folders) 
    Install 2020 again
    File/File Operations/copy
    Open and Validate the newly copied file

See if better now

• Jose
    Jose Member ✭✭
    I'd like to know if you have account registers where a single account is approaching or exceeding 16,000 transactions.

Answer: Yes the largest account has 47620

Is any cloud backup software actively accessing your Quicken data file while Quicken is running?

Answer: No

What is the complete file name of your Quicken data file:

Answer: R/Users/Glenn J Ballenger/Documents/Quicken/qfilesHome2019.QDF

FYI: the "R" Drive is actually two dedicated internal disk drives set up as single mirrored RAID Drive. 1TB with 581GB used. The "C" drive is a an SSD with all OS and program files. "R" is set up for data storage only.

Ram: 16GB
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Help / About Quicken image you provided is NOT the File Information window I asked about. Please reread instructions and try again.
    A single account register with over 46,000 transactions may be stretching the design limits of what Quicken can do and contribute to slowness. I'd use the opportunity of having just started a new year to create a new account register as of 1/1/20 (or the last monthly statement end date) and begin using it instead of the old, big account register.
  • Jose
    Jose Member ✭✭
    here is the pic.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    For reference, an investment account with about 6K transactions takes about a second to save. Switching between 2 accounts of that size takes about 3 to 4 seconds.

Your machine has plenty of horsepower to run Quicken as quickly as it can run; the clunky product that it is. 

As mentioned, file corruption and transactions in a single active register of 40K will slow it down.  I'd recommend implementing the suggestions from @miklk and @UKR
  • Jose
    Jose Member ✭✭
    Thanks for all the suggestions. They are much appreciated. I will start with the least time consuming suggestions, and work up to the more time consuming ones. I will report back. but this will probably take me a few weeks. I actually have a real life besides this stuff. But again, all of the suggestions, and the time you all took to respond is really appreciated.
  • John Kett
    John Kett Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I have been a quicken user for 20+ years and I have never been so disappointed as I am with the web version. I have tried all of the performance improvement ideas I can find on this forum and the fact remains that before I switched to the web based subscription product, I never had any performance issues. [removed - no selling]?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    @John Kett Quicken Subscription is still desktop software. You don't need to sync to the Quicken Cloud if you don't want to.
This discussion has been closed.