I should only use a converted file for reference?

My current version is Quicken 2008. Of course I should have upgraded years ago, but didn't. Now that I'm about to switch from a W7 PC to a W10 PC, it's time. But in researching what I need to do in preparation for a version upgrade, I ran across https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken, "Convert Data From an Earlier Version of Quicken (When to Use an Intermediate Version)".

In this article, the section "Quicken for Windows" :o :o contains several subsections. A person only needs to follow the directions in the subsection pertaining to version of Quicken that they are updating from. After the subsections, the Quicken for Windows section ends with the following:

"After the process is complete, we strongly recommend the converted file be used for reference only. A new data file should be created for future data entry. Stability issues could occur if new data is added to the original file."

Based on the layout of this section - "Quicken for Windows", the implication is that no matter what version of Quicken a person is updating from, a new data file should be created.

This can't be right, can it? Does this last paragraph actually belong under one of the subsections pertaining to a particular version? Or do I really need to stop using the data file that I created in 1991 and instead use a new one?

Best Answer

Answers

• TLBGTTLBGT Member
    Thanks for the reply. Based on what the information I have, Quicken's "strong recommendation" is ludicrous. Imagine if a business was told by Intuit that the new version of QuickBooks includes a change in file format and that the business needs to create new files for all their accounts. Intuit would lose all their customers if they did that.
  • TLBGTTLBGT Member
    Today I finally bit the bullet and updated my desktop from W7 to W10 and then Quicken from 2008 to 2013. Both went without a hitch.
This discussion has been closed.