Logarithmic y-axes for portfolio value plots and others?

As far as I can see there is only one option for the y-axis in a portfolio value plot: "Y-axis starts at zero." Many modern data graphing programs can offer a wide variety of options (not including Excel here...): logarithmic, power, etc. Is there a way to make this suggestion/request to the developers?
6 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello All,

This idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the age of the request and lack of user votes/comments, will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Anja
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would certainly like to see this improvement, and it should apply to the Growth of $10,000 graph as well.

There is a related discussion about setting the origins for the graphs in the Security Detail view.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20115926#Comment_20115926

and this related Idea
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7879064/add-option-to-change-the-security-detail-graph
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Logarithmic scaling for long-term investment performance is a common presentation that should be available in Quicken.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even just moving the floor of the graph - it makes no sense to have a graph of Net Worth that just wiggles around the same general band ....
    hard to really see ANY changes
    QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • artg
    artg Member ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning Community.  I addressed this topic several years ago (I think) and learned from my fellow users (like yourselves) that adjusting the scale on the Y-axis could not be done.  Well, for what it's worth I'd sure like to see this feature added to "Projected Balances" under the "Bills and Income" tab.  I use this graph as a twelve month forward looking picture of our main (checking) spending account.  Although I have not built (and saved) a Net Worth graph like @Ps56k2 I fully agree that a slight variation around a tight band has little use.  Therefore, I'd like to join the chorus of asking to have this feature built into our graphs.  
  • I will throw in my two cents. Basically agree with all that has been said above. As I told my statistics class many years ago, numbers don't lie, but liars use numbers; and one of the main ways of doing that was manipulating the Y axis as Quicken does. Log scale and bottom of scale would both be very useful additions. Probably didn't feel as strongly about this when I might buy a copy of Quicken every few years, but now that we are on a subscription basis, would like to see more value added.
  • Amy
    Amy Member ✭✭
    Agree with David and q_lurker. Fortunately, Quicken developers have added a wonderful feature in the new Dashboard for managing "Y-Axis at Zero" in graphs. Hopefully, now that they have developed the code for this we will see it appear in other appropriate graphs in the near future. The use of logarithmic Y-axis scale option is common in the display of long term financial data, and hopefully would become available a some point in the future. Long term Quicken users may see the benefits of this now, as their portfolios and net worth have hopefully grown substantially over time. New Quicken users will see the benefit of logarithmic display as their time in the market and investing in general moves from years to decades.