Reconcile: Prior Balance number wrong

When reconciling, in the Reconcile Details window, the value in the Prior balance field is incorrect. When I manually change it, this change does not "stick." How do I get the correct value to stay and not go to the incorrect value?

Answers

• Scott Bartley
    Scott Bartley Member ✭✭
    I am having the issue also. Just one more new flaw in Quicken.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prior Balance is a calculated number, the sum of all Reconciled transactions in your account register.
    If that number is incorrect, a previously reconciled transaction must have changed
    • changed amount
    • changed Reconcile status
    • transaction was deleted
    • in the case of transfer transactions, the matching transfer-to transaction was changed or deleted in the other account register, or the transaction was re-categorized as no longer transfer but a categorized Income or Expense
    • if you Sync to Mobile, the Sync process changed something or you made changes to an existing transaction on the web / phone app
    Either way, you need to figure out what changed and fix it as needed.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the reconciled opening balance has changed, a reconciled transaction has been added, modified, or deleted.  To determine the source of the change, I suggest you compare the running balance of the account register in the current data file with the running balance of the account register from a data file backup saved when the account was last reconciled.  One way to do accomplish this is to print the registers to text files.

• Is there a way to open a backup file without overwriting the current file?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a way to open a backup file without overwriting the current file?

Yes, upon Restore give the restored file a new name, different from the active file name. For example, if your active file name is QDATA.QDF and you are restoring a backup, name it with the date the backup was taken, e.g., QDATA2020-01-01.QDF and be sure to select the same folder that the active file is in. Don't restore to the backup folder or some other folder.
  • djinatlga
    djinatlga Member
    I also see the issue. There is a Quicken defect with the beginning balance value in the Reconcile window. If you look at the beginning transaction of the period it it is matched (equal), but when you go to reconcile the value is changed/wrong.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    djinatlga said:
    I also see the issue. There is a Quicken defect with the beginning balance value in the Reconcile window. If you look at the beginning transaction of the period it it is matched (equal), but when you go to reconcile the value is changed/wrong.
    If you sort the register by the Clr column (left-click on the Clr column title, you want the small triangle to the right of Clr to point down) all of the transactions marked as Reconciled will be grouped at the top so the running balance of the last Reconciled transaction should be the reconcile's beginning balance. 
  • dander5248
    dander5248 Member
    I had the same issue at least 3 times and on each occasion, I went through the register and could not find an entry that was incorrect. In the end, I decided to accept the reconciliation as is. The system entered an adjustment to account for the discrepancy. I then went back and deleted the adjustment and everything balanced. In my case I think it is a system issue, not an incorrect entry.
This discussion has been closed.