Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

File changes in size when I copy to new file

I am going to make some major changes and backed up my current file to usb. File size there is 271,560kb. When I copy THAT file to new location file size changes to 153,584kb. Using Quicken 2020 Premier subscription version R23.18, Build 27.1.23.18, Windows 10
Why the huge change in file size. I have been Quicken user since mid 1990's. Don't want to screw up anything and loose data. Please help.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    A FILE, Copy doesn't copy deleted transactions ... which, when you delete them, are marked as deleted but still take up space in your file.
    Sounds like you had a LOT of them.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    you need to clarify which "copy" command you are using...
    Did you perform a ... Quicken --> File --> Backup -->
    and then ??
    - Quicken --> File --> Copy
    - Windows --> Copy --> Paste
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    There is also Quicken: File->File Operations->Copy
    We need to know EXACTLY how you did the copy.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • cobbersmom
    cobbersmom Member ✭✭
    First I used to back up Quicken-->File-->backup and restore-->backup to my USB. Which is the usual way I back up my quicken file. Then used Quicken-->file-->save a copy as and renamed my file.. Hope this helps
  • cobbersmom
    cobbersmom Member ✭✭
    To further clarify, When I saved a new copy, that was done using the Quicken file that was open on the computer which was the same one I backed up on to my USB. Since it happened much quicker than backing up normally occurs, I went to file explorer to make sure it copied and that is when I noticed the huge file change size. Have not done anything since so I did not screw anything up.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    as mentioned....
    Using Quicken....
    - File --> Backup --> just takes current file and saves it onto your USB - done -
    - File --> Copy --> copies "records" dropping the old deleted entries... saves space -
    you might also see any Error messages if there are errors in the records copied.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    ps56k said:
    - File --> Copy --> copies "records" dropping the old deleted entries... saves space -

Clarification:
    File->File Operations->Copy
    does the record level copy
    File->Save a copy as makes a Windows copy

There is no File --> Copy
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • cobbersmom
    cobbersmom Member ✭✭
    > @ps56k said:
    > as mentioned....Using Quicken....- File --> Backup --> just takes current file and saves it onto your USB - done -
    > - File --> Copy --> copies "records" dropping the old deleted entries... saves space -
    > you might also see any Error messages if there are errors in the records copied.

Where would I look to see if there were error messages. Really appreciate your help in this...and also like the decrease in file size!
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    if the Quicken Copy function didn't create a pop-up Error screen... then no errors -
  • cobbersmom
    cobbersmom Member ✭✭
    Thanks, found file operations and then copied records from there. You all are great. Much appreciate the help
This discussion has been closed.