Can anyone see the obvious and systematic error here?

Quicken for Windows 2017 keeps making the same simple addition error. It is easily recreated because I deleted this account and recreated it several times. Whenever I get to the 7/31/2019 entry instead of adding 22.417 shares Quicken subtracts over 50 shares--see attachment. I have tried different ways of entering this number (dividend, capital gains, interest, different dates) but no matter what I do Quicken subtracts the same 50+ shares instead of adding the 22+ shares. All additional entries, all made the same way, all add correctly. What makes Quicken go braindead over the number 22.417 is beyond me. For now I have to resort to a placeholder to fix this unless there is a way to make Quicken add this particular number correctly.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    How about a screenshot of the "enter transaction" pop-up?
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect there may be a hidden placeholder transaction between the 6/21/19 transaction and the 7/31/19 transaction.  If you haven't already, I suggest you Select Edit > Preferences...

• Alan Edelman
    Alan Edelman Member ✭✭
    There is no pop up. The screen shots are from the third or fourth time I recreated this account entering the same numbers in different ways to see if I could get past this math error. No matter what I did when I hit the July entry the same math error occurred. This is not the only error I see when reconciling a complex account with multiple investments and data going back over ten years, nor the first time I have encountered a comparable glitch. As a result I will re-create the account for 2020 as Quicken is convenient for frequent updates to see the general state of things but will never trust it as being accurate. I am not aware of a comparable substitute-, particularly since my personal data has been tracked for many years, so for now its spreadsheets and brokerage downloads.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    How about providing the information requested or at least responding with the results of doing what @Sherlock suggested?

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Also, are there ONLY ReinvDiv transactions in this account ... or is the account sorted by Action and you're only showing us the ReinvDiv transactions? 
    If the latter, there could be many remove transactions in between the ReinvDiv transactions that would explain the situation?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Alan Edelman
    Alan Edelman Member ✭✭
    I have been using Quicken for Windows probably since its earliest versions.
    I manually enter values for many reasons including as a cross check against brokerage statements and to make me pay close attention.
    There have been ongoing and new issues but values reflected by Quicken were accurate compared to brokerage statements, errors could be found and reconciled.

Something has happened to the basic calculator engine in the Quicken database which could be unique to my Quicken installation but I think everyone who uses Quicken better triple check their numbers.

As to what I have posted:
    The screen shot is from a brand new file with numbers that would not add up correctly in the old file and still will not add correctly in the new file despite being added in a variety of ways. There is NO OTHER DATA, there are no hidden transactions in the image of the posted file. Zilch, nada. Don't blame the victim.

For years I have seen that when entering reinvested share numbers and share values from monthly brokerage reports Quicken would often calculate a slightly different per share value than the brokerage correctly calculated. I ignored these as long as the total number of shares Quicken reported was correct. The posted images shows that even adding those numbers is not working for me in Quicken.

Yesterday I recreated the entire investment portfolio from scratch entering data from end of year brokerage account statements downloaded mostly as CSV files into Excel. The CSV files facilitate using formulas to check the brokerage account math. Quicken comes to substantially different--as in lower-- total account values than the brokerage accounts (correctly) report.

I am willing to admit that there may be something I omitted entering in the new file that is throwing the totals off but I can't find it. I will revisit this in January when monthly statements come out but if I can't get accurate numbers from Quicken I guess its back to spread sheets and manually checking share prices on brokerage web sites. I don't need Quicken to download data from a brokerage that I could easily check on a web site.