Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Slow Performance - Quicken 2017

Before I consider upgrading to Quicken Subscription, I would like to know if the sluggish performance of Quicken 2017 has at all improved in the newer versions. Scrolling through reports is slow and choppy, and the Budget screen is even worse. I have dual monitors and moving the Quicken screen from one display to the other takes several seconds, whereas every other application does so without any delay or choppiness. My machine is 8-1/2 years with an Intel i5-2500k and 8GB of RAM, but while old, no other application is anywhere near as slow as Quicken. I am on R19.7. Is the slow performance normal with Quicken 2017 and has it improved (substantially) in newer versions?

Thanks.

Phil

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Performance is very dependent on your hardware and what software you have installed, so it is not possible to give you an exact answer.
    I suggest you wait till March 31 (a month before online support stops for 2017), purchase Quicken (shop around for the best $/month price), install it and test it for two weeks.  If you don't like it, get a refund (you have 30 days):  Quicken Return Policy

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Phil-3
    Phil-3 Member ✭✭
    The hardware is older, but everything, including my professional 3D CAD program loads and runs faster than Quicken 2017, which is a distant last place in responsiveness. Even with no other apps open, it is very slow. CPU load, on four cores of my processor show considerable spikes (especially one core) if one attempts to do any scrolling in the Budget window. Scrolling on any other app I have results in virtually no spike at all. In Quicken Budget window, the CPU clock frequency jumps by about 70%, all the while the Budget window slowly clunks along at a snail's pace. This is really looking like very poor software design, but I cannot say with any authority.

Your recommendation on waiting until March and test driving the subscription version is good. Can I not do that now. If I upgrade now, can I still get the 30 day return period?

Thanks,

Phil
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Have you tried Validating your Q data file?  Thank sometimes improves performance.
    1) Take a backup, just in case. Then
    2) FILE, File Operations, Validate and Repair.  Be sure to check "Validate file" and "Rebuild investing Lots" (if present) before you click OK.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Phil-3
    Phil-3 Member ✭✭
    Hi. Thanks for your response. I did as you stated, but to no avail. There is no change in performance. I also noticed changing screens within Quicken, or it even opening up, results in a painting of the screen in large blocks at times, which are there only very shortly, but no other app does this. With Quicken, I feel like I am using a computer from 20 years ago. I checked my file size, and it is not large. I am quite mystified, but it does seem Quicken is sucking up a lot of resources when it has to do anything. Although scrolling in the registers hardly has any impact on the CPU. But scrolling in the budget put the CPU in afterburner mode.

Phil
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Q uses a lot of RAM.  So while 8GB might be a decent amount ... it doesn't take into account what else is running at the same time, including Win itself which takes up a LOT of that 8GB.
    Have you considered simply adding more Ram?  It's fairly cheap and an easy upgrade. Go for at least 16GB, if your computer will hold that much
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Phil-3
    Phil-3 Member ✭✭
    I checked Quicken use of RAM. As you use Quicken, it keeps using more and more, but after some use in one session, it climbed from 95 MB to 135 MB. Windows 10 uses varying amounts of RAM, partly dependent on the RAM in one's system. In my case, sitting idle, Windows is using about 3.4 GB of RAM. When Quicken is very slow (always), I still have about 4 GB available, even with a few other apps open. Shutting down those apps does not seem to improve Quicken speed. I am going to build another PC and it will have 16 - 32 GB, but given Quicken's RAM use (minimal), I do not see how more RAM will help. A much quicker processor might though, and I will be getting that.

I recall hearing about others mentioning the very sluggish behavior of Quicken with one person stating it was a known issue, but basically a part of the Quicken software design, and not likely to be fixed with a software overhaul. I cannot remember the details of that dialogue, but before I plunk down money for a subscription, I want to be sure Quicken will perform at a reasonable speed. At present, the slow speed, especially in Budget makes Quicken unacceptable to use. I am not convinced a newer computer will fix this. There is no question, it is much slower than something like Microsoft Office, a browser, or even my 3D CAD program.

Phil
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Phil-3 said:

Your recommendation on waiting until March and test driving the subscription version is good. Can I not do that now. If I upgrade now, can I still get the 30 day return period?

The 30 days is from date of purchase, so yes, you could do it now, but then you forfeit the last 3+ months your 2017 license.  Someone else recently was expecting a refund for upgrading before the deadline, so I rarely ever suggest to anyone to upgrade earlier than they need to.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Phil-3 said:
    I recall hearing about others mentioning the very sluggish behavior of Quicken with one person stating it was a known issue, but basically a part of the Quicken software design, and not likely to be fixed with a software overhaul. I cannot remember the details of that dialogue, but before I plunk down money for a subscription, I want to be sure Quicken will perform at a reasonable speed.
    That one person might have been me. I believe the issue is in Quicken's screen painting code, which is old and rusty. It runs very slowly on inexpensive graphics chips. It may be my imagination, but Quicken seems to run faster on computers with dedicated, fast GPUs.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Phil-3
    Phil-3 Member ✭✭
    Understood. I was looking at the 40% off sale that is happening now, but those do seem to come about periodically. Hopefully in April. I really wish I knew if the newer version will run faster. In some screens, the slowness is all but a deal-killer with Quicken 2017. By April, I will have built another computer that will deliver decent responsiveness with Quicken 2017.

Thank you.

Phil
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    As far as I can tell, Quicken's screen-painting code has not been updated from QW2017 to the current subscription versions.
    When you build your new computer, put in a good graphics card. If you're talking about desktop machines, you could obtain such a card today and hopefully see improved performance on your current machine. Then move the card to the new machine when you build it.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Phil-3
    Phil-3 Member ✭✭
    Good idea to buy a card now and see what happens in this machine. I may need a professional engineering type card, and not a gamin card, but I would like to think that any card for 3D CAD would suffice! Thanks the plan. I like it!
  • Beijing Mac
    Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    based on my experience, your best bet to improve performance for Quicken (especially if you have a file that is fairly large with lots of historical data) is to get an SSD drive.  (yes upgrade that 8 year old computer).  You can look at all sorts of suggestions to tweak settings etc, but when I had to change out my pc (both desk and lap), I noticed dramatic improvement with the SSD drives, newer CPU and the faster RAM chips.  FYI, I am currently running QW - RPM 2017 with 14 years data (Jan 2006 last time I "copied" and created a new data file).  I don't save attachments.  Current data file is 180 MB as reported in Explorer.
  • Phil-3
    Phil-3 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the tip. When I built this PC, I used a 60GB SSD the boot drive and frequently used apps. In January 2018, I replaced with a newer Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD. Quicken and data files are on that drive, but performance is still slow. All other apps run fine, Quicken is by far, the slowest. Oh, my file is 20 MB in size, and just one year in age.
  • Phil-3
    Phil-3 Member ✭✭
    > @"Rocket J Squirrel" said:
    > (Quote)
    > That one person might have been me. I believe the issue is in Quicken's screen painting code, which is old and rusty. It runs very slowly on inexpensive graphics chips. It may be my imagination, but Quicken seems to run faster on computers with dedicated, fast GPUs.

Interesting. My graphics card is a MSI AMD Radeon HD5770. It is below.

https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-hd-5770-r5770-hawk/p/N82E16814127490?Item=N82E16814127490

The computer I will build this year will likely use a quality GPU, but very likely a professional card (nVidia Quadro or AMD Pro series, for best results in 3D CAD. They are not cut out for gaming (I don't play video games). I don't know then what kind of fast GPU Quicken likes.

I don't get the sense that Quicken has much interest in fixing this. Someone else here said Quicken is well aware of this performance issue and has done little to nothing about it.

As a point of measurement, I can grab the vertical scroll bar in Quicken and drag it up and down and the Budget screen cannot begin to keep up. It lags badly.

Thanks,

Phil
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Phil-3 said:
    Interesting. My graphics card is a MSI AMD Radeon HD5770. It is below.

https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-hd-5770-r5770-hawk/p/N82E16814127490?Item=N82E16814127490

I don't know then what kind of fast GPU Quicken likes.
    Your current card seems capable enough. I also don't know what kind of GPU Quicken likes. I am running consumer-grade Nvidia GPUs, which appear to exhibit better Quicken performance than on-board Intel graphics chips.
This discussion has been closed.