Adding a new loan corrupts data file

KG
KG Member ✭✭
Last week, I added a manual loan account. Immediately afterwards, I noticed my current budget was wildly incorrect (categories, amounts, etc.) I closed Quicken and I could not re-open the file. The pop-up about "updating investment accounts" briefly displayed, then...nothing. No data file, not even the Quicken application. I had to restore from a back-up file (this was also the advice I got from Quicken support in a chat).

Today, I added a loan from an institution. After getting everything set up, the exact same symptoms occurred. My budget was a mess, and when I attempted to re-open the file after closing, the application will not open.

Has anyone else experienced this when adding a new loan to Quicken? I've added many loans in the past, and this has never happened to me.

*Update: Narrowed down the timing of the issue. It's not just linking in the loan account. The error happens when I click the option to set up payment reminders for the loan. Immediately afterwards, my budget is missing all categories in the "Personal Expenses" section, though "Personal Income" remains. The next step is when I attempt to re-open Quicken and I cannot. The application accepts my password, then nothing happens and I have to restore from a backup to get back into the file.
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @KG

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

If you haven't already, I would recommend creating a copy of the restored backup file by going to the File menu > File Operations > Copy option.

When prompted, please open the copied version of the file and then go back to the File menu > File Operations and this time select "Validate & Repair".

In the window that opens, mark only the top box "Validate file" and click OK.  When the process finishes a data log will open, this log may be closed or saved for later but when ready please close and re-open Quicken.

With Quicken open once again, please attempt to add the loan account and create the payment reminder.

Does the crash still occur?  If so, do you receive a dialogue window asking to submit the crash report to Quicken?  Or does the Quicken software just disappear with no messages/windows?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • KG
    KG Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Sarah. Here's the version of what I did to get around the problem, and it seems to still be working several days later. I'm not savvy enough to know if the cause of the issue was Quicken or the bank...I'll leave that to you and your team!

I opened a backup copy of my file then linked to the loan at Discover Loans. Before I did anything else, I used the "Validate file" option, and here was a portion related to this loan, lines I'd never seen before in the DATA_LOG file:
    >QDF:
    >Validating your data.
    >Repaired your data file by removing a damaged category. Please check your category list for missing categories by going to Tools>Category List.
    >Repaired your data file by removing a damaged category. Please check your category list for missing categories by going to Tools>Category List.
    >Quicken repaired Discover Home Equity account. No action required.
    >Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "Discover Home Equity" 0/ 0/1900

After validating, in which Quicken repaired the account and removed a strange transaction, I did not have the problem again.

I'll add that after I used the online import to create this account in my Quicken application, I removed the online access from it because with it, Quicken forced the selection of "Hide in transaction entry lists", and I want my account set up differently, requiring that I be able to use it in transaction entry lists. I can't say whether that's why I'm not having any issues now with the budget or crashes, but I doubt it.

Also, there was never an actual "crash" when the error occurred. Rather, every time, the sequence was: create the loan account, allow for payment reminders through Memorized Transactions list, see errors in budget, close Quicken, then not be able to open the file at all. Hence, there was never a request by the application to submit a crash report.

Last piece of information: It occurs to me that the first time I encountered the error I had actually MANUALLY created the loan account; I had not downloaded anything from the bank because I didn't have all the account information at the time. Yet, the sequence I outlined still happened. Thus, I think that during the creation of the loan account, Quicken is adding the invalid transaction with the date "0/0/1900". That is, I can't see that this problem is one created by the downloaded information from the institution, since I can create the problem manually.