Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Register balances don't match account list balances

This discussion was created from comments split from: Register balances don't match account list balances in some cases.

Comments

• akirson
    akirson Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue with one account. All was fine until about a week ago, then suddenly the balance in the register doesn't match the balance in the account list. If I select the Projected Balance at the top right of the register, it matches the register, but the current balance is out by $13,252. No filters applied. Quicken Mac 2020 Premier. Quicken tech support couldn't find the problem.
  • akirson
    akirson Member ✭✭
    > @akirson said:
    > I have the same issue with one account. All was fine until about a week ago, then suddenly the balance in the register doesn't match the balance in the account list. If I select the Projected Balance at the top right of the register, it matches the register, but the current balance is out by $13,252. No filters applied. Quicken Mac 2020 Premier. Quicken tech support couldn't find the problem.

I forgot to add that the online balance also matches, it's only Today's Balance that doesn't.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Online Balance is downloaded from your bank/card/etc.
    Today's Balance includes transactions that you've recorded in Q ... but haven't yet been received by the Bank.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • akirson
    akirson Member ✭✭
    The issue resolved itself after a couple of days of downloads. I still don't know why it happened.
  • Mine does the same. This makes quicken now untrustworthy. i have used it for decades. What went wrong Quicken?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @steve heron  Your comment indicates you think you're talking to Quicken Support here. You're not. This site is mostly a user-to-user support forum, so you likely won't get answers from Quicken. And without examining your data, or even knowing what financial institutions were involved, I don't know that anyone can take even a guess about what happened. Chances are everyone who has posted in this thread had something different occur. Different things go wrong with different financial institutions every day.

The only advice I can offer is to wait until this happens again, and immediately capture screen shots showing the discrepancy. Then either contact Quicken Support, or post a new topic here with some of your screen shots, including what financial institution and what version of Quicken you're using.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • TJ102
    TJ102 Member ✭✭✭✭
    This happens occasionally in Q...  I've been using quicken for more that 15 years and that problem still raises it's ugly head. I came up with a way to help you find where the discrepancy is, my idea (I call it "Find & Fix") won't fix it from happening again, but it WILL save lot time looking for the place in the register where the issue is.

First, wonderful Credit Union sends me info when my month ending statements are available for download.  My credit card statements are available on the 15th of every month, and all other statements on the 1st of the month for the previous month, and here's what I do..

1) First... THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!… you must know which sorting option you are using for your transactions, understand it and be CONSISTANT using that sort order when you use my "Find & Fix feature. If you don't, this feature of mine will not work properly, and it will just exacerbate your problem! If you use "Sort by date / order Entered"  then proceed to the following steps:

2) Be sure you're using your personal default method for sorting, go to the last        
    transaction on your banking statement ie:  01/31/2020 and make that transaction line in your register look like this:

• TJ102
    TJ102 Member ✭✭✭✭

• TJ102
    TJ102 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    If you do this for each ending date for each account, when you have a difference in Register balances, all you have to do is scan the register, check the balance amt shown on your note, compare it to the register balance (starting form oldest date and work down) until you find the date that has the discrepentcy, and the month prior to that date has a missing or extra transaction. Then go to your bank statement and check the transactions against the ones in your Qkn Register, then bingo...you've found the problem. It takes a small fraction of the time, then combing through all your bank statements looking for what date the error (emission or addition) the date occurred on. Also "Flags" can be used (I use a white one), sort by flag, create a list, then you can manually copy the correct month ending date you have in you notes with the amount, and make it even quicker if you wish. Using a posting column can also make it helpful.
This discussion has been closed.