Download transactions from International Brokers, Canada

Hi, everybody!

I have Quicken Canada subscription (Home and Business). Recently I opened a brokerage account with International Brokers who offer a web connect way to download transactions into Quicken.

However, when I try to open a qfx file that is generated with, say, monthly report, I get an error "Quicken is currently unable to verify the financial institution information for thinks download. Please try again later."

Is there a way to fix this problem? Or convert qfx to a qif file to circumvent the necessity to check institution ID?

Thank you,
Stas.
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken_NatalieQuicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello @stasvolik,

Thank you for providing the details of this issue to the Community, although I apologize you have not yet received a response.

If you are still needing assistance with importing a QFX file into Quicken, please take a moment and review the information available here and post back to let us know what version and release of Quicken you're using.

What is the name of the financial institution that you're downloading the QFX file from? Also, what steps are you taking in Quicken when attempting to import the QFX file?

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie 
    -Quicken Natalie 

• stasvolikstasvolik Member
    Thank you for responding. As I wrote, I downloaded a QFX file from Interactive Brokers (for some reason I always mispronounce their name) https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/home.php . I can post the QFX file (with deleted account number, of course) if it helps. Canada version of Quicken gives the standard "Can't confirm the institution") error. Please let me know what additional information would be helpful.
    edited January 14
    Hello @stasvolik,

Thank you for providing those additional details.

I have sent you a message to your Community Inbox with some instructions that will help us to further investigate this issue.

To check your Community Inbox, please navigate to the top of this page and click on the Inbox icon:

Let us know if you have any issues accessing this.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie
    -Quicken Natalie 

edited January 15
    Dear Natalie, thank you for your response. I've followed your instructions. Hopefully, this can be fixed quickly. I'm also attaching a screenshot of my Quicken 2019 Version R22.15 "Help->About" information.

[screenshot redacted to remove email address]
    Hello @stasvolik,

Thank you for uploading the QFX file to us and for providing your current Quicken version.

Unfortunately, I receive the same error when attempting to import the QFX file into Quicken for Windows Canada. I am, however, able to successfully import the file into my Quicken for Windows US version. 

It seems that Interactive Brokers LLC may not support the Canada version of Quicken, and therefore are not providing a compatible file for the program. 

Furthermore, I'm not seeing Interactive Brokers LLC as an available Financial Institution when attempting to add it from the Tools>Add Account menu on Quicken for Windows Canada. Adversely, it is showing as an available option in the US version. 

You may consider refreshing your branding & profile information, following the steps available here, under Quicken for Windows.

If the issue persists, you may need to contact the Financial Institution directly and request that they add support for the Quicken for Windows Canada software.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie
    -Quicken Natalie 

Thank you, Natalie, for checking it out. Sorry to hear that the problem is there to stay.

I personally find that the total removal of the ability to download US Financial Institution data in Canadian edition of Quicken to be the weakest part of this otherwise good program. A lot of Canadians I know have accounts with US institutions, have US credit cards, but Quicken Canada cannot download data even from US subsidiaries of Canadian banks. Strange, especially taking into account the fact that now defunct MS Money could do it back in 2008 :neutral:
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I personally find that the total removal of the ability to download US Financial Institution data in Canadian edition of Quicken to be the weakest part of this otherwise good program. "
    Quicken didn't make that deciison.  Interactive Brokers made the decision to not support Q Canada.
    It's ALWAYS the financial institution that makes the decision to support Q, or not, and what Q products to support, and in what manner to support them.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
    Dear Natalie,

I am curious - whose decision was it to require financial institutions to support Quicken Canada and Quicken USA separately? I personally believe that it was Quicken's decision, that was made in the best interests of Quicken as a company as was seen by the management at the time.

Just as it was Microsoft's business decision to create a unified version of Money and NOT to require banks on both sides of the border to support downloads from Canadian and US users separately. When I moved to Canada, I purchased the Money license and was amazed by its flexibility in this regard. Yes, it lost eventually to Quicken from usability point of view, and I decided to abandon it (as most of its' user base), but that doesn't negate my point.

If I am wrong in this logic, please feel free to refute. Otherwise, I appreciate your time and an attempt to help.

Cheers,
    Stas.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16
    This is NO entirely correct. Though it is true the FI/Bank makes the decision as to which version of Quicken they will support, VERY few US-based FIs/Banks are supported in QWin-CA. The only ones that are in QWin-CA are ones with a presence in Canada (actually it is more CA Fis/Banks that have a presence in the US).

BUT QMac DOES support BOTH US and CA Fis/Banks in the SAME product. And IB is listed in QMac. So this is more than just a question of a FI/Bank choosing to not support QWin-CA.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs: