What is Shift-Click – ?

This discussion was created from comments split from: How do I delete previous reconciliation statements?.

Comments

• This seems so confusing. What is Shift-Click – ?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Bobbie Schade

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response. 

We will need a bit more information to be able to assist. Please take a moment to review the information here and post back with the year and version of Quicken you are currently running.

Please also include details on what you are needing assistance with.

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    What is that last symbol supposed to be?  Where are you encountering it?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was from an old garbled post.
    Maybe we can get @jl747 to edit it into readability.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited January 2020
    I took a stab at it once the 49ers finished demolishing the Vikings.
    That 9-year-old post wasn't fully accurate for today's Quicken anyway. Here's a revised version. I hope it clarifies the processs for you, @Bobbie Schade .

Unreconcile a bank statement by converting Reconciled transactions to Cleared transactions
    NOTE: Make a backup or at least save a copy of your data file before making any changes.
    Make sure that your opening and ending statement dates are correct.
    • Open the register in question. Make sure the transactions you want to un-reconcile are in a contiguous group from the first to the last. Sorting by date should accomplish this.
    • Left click the first transaction you want to start at. Then go to the last transaction you want to select and do a Shift-click (you may need to scroll the register); this will highlight all transactions that you want to change.
    • Right click on any of the highlighted transactions and pick Reconcile Status -> Cleared from the pop-up menu; this changes the "R" to a "c" in all those transactions at once.
    • Now you can do the Reconcile process again. Make sure you enter the correct Ending Statement date and balances.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • jl747
    jl747 SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    See if this works for you.

NOTE: Make a backup or at least save a copy of your data file before making any changes.

Open the register in question.
    Ctrl – Click the first transaction you want to start at. Then go to the last transaction you want to select and do a Shift – Click – this will highlight all transactions that you want to change.

Now do a right click on any of the highlighted transactions and then go to Reconcile – pick “Not Reconciled”

This removes the “R”

Now go back and repeat the process above but this time pick Cleared – this adds the “c”
    (You can also pick Reconcile and the “R” and you do not have to do a Reconcile process.)

Now you can go and do the Reconcile process again.

Make sure you enter the correct Ending Statement date and balances.

Quicken Windows Deluxe (Subscription)
    Windows 10 Pro 20H2

• Rocket J Squirrel
    jl747 said:
    Ctrl – Click the first transaction you want to start at.
    This is the step I have trouble with. If there is already a transaction selected, CTRL-Click will add to that selection rather than start a new one. Or if the current transaction is already selected, CTRL-Click will deselect it. I believe this step should read "Left Click the first transaction".

• jl747
    Thanks for your correction. Fixed it my notes.

I am also able to do the following.
    Shift Left Click first transaction then Shift Left Click the last transaction.
    This highlighted all transaction in between the first and last.
    Please confirm that this process. Thanks

Do not know whether this is a new behavior in Q2020 (Subscription version) or not.
    The Left Click first transaction also worked.

I haven't had to do this in a while.

Windows 10 Pro 20H2

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Yeah, I realize your original post is 10 years old.
    jl747 said:
    I am also able to do the following.
    Shift Left Click first transaction then Shift Left Click the last transaction.
    This highlighted all transaction in between the first and last.
    Please confirm that this process. Thanks
    This doesn't work for me. In a newly-opened register, the bottom empty transaction is selected by default. Then a Shift-Click elsewhere selects everything from the bottom up to where I clicked.
    Shift-Click is "extend selection". Ctrl-Click is "toggle selection".
  • jl747
    It would be easier if there was a way to have a drop down to Unreconcile with the User being able to select a date range.
    Much like a Find and Replace option.
    Another option would be a Right Click on the first transaction and have an option to Unreconcile by date.

Windows 10 Pro 20H2