Home Quicken for Mac Download, Add/Update Accounts (Mac)

Brokerage accounts market value column totals are negative values.

My brokerage accounts update regularly. Why don’t the totals in the market value columns reflect the current value of the specific portfolio? This ought to be the current account value that is transferred to the net worth summary.

Comments

• As a follow-up to my previous question, I have learned that whenever I manually entered a cost basis, the total was not only posted in the cost basis column, but was also deducted from the market value column. This resulted in the incorrect totals of the market values.

Sorry for the former post. Be that as it may, there still seems to be confusion about adding the cost basis manually such that it doesn’t affect something else.
  • John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before I respond in greater detail, please answer if your brokerage account is showing incorrect amounts, or do you have a mismatch within Quicken where it is correct in the investment account, but wrong in some other view. (And if some other view, where are you looking-It isn't clear what you mean by "Net Worth Summary.")

Thanks.

• "Net Worth" summary is the listing of all accounts (shown on the left of the page), and gives a total net worth of the individual’s assets. For a brokerage account, the entry should match the current value supplied by the broker. My problem emerged when I entered manually the cost basis. These values actually were deducted from the broker’s statement. I realized that after examining the individual transactions that showed negative values, as if I had purchased the shares a second time. Amazingly, the total shares didn’t change on the portfolio page; consequently, I thought that only the cost basis was added on the portfolio page, not realizing that cash was being deducted from the market value column.
    Ok-the Net Worth as displayed in your Sidebar. That will display (as it should most everything else) the values as calculated from your underlying investment transactions.

I don't know what you have done to "adjust the cost basis," but I suspect that is the source of your underlying problem. 

As for total shares not changing, that is likely from a placeholder transaction at the beginning of your register. If your brokerage firm reports X shares, and your transactions show Y shares, a placeholder will be added to adjust so that the final balance is (correct) as reported by your financial institution. These will be in light gray.

Note: you can always add the cost to the placeholders or other add shares transactions without affecting the cash balance. Without seeing what you have done, all I can guess is that you added Buy shares (or equivalent) that puts your cash balance into the negative. 

Again, without being there to see exactly what you have done, it is difficult to give you a direct answer. But, take a look at the placeholders and how you are trying to adjust the basis. 
  • Yes, you are correct. I need some better advice on adding the cost basis. I thought that I was following the instructions from Quicken, but obviously I am missing something. My understanding was to make an entry as if you were buying shares, and then enter the actual cost basis or enter a "guesstimate". When I did that, the cost basis appeared in the proper column and the number of shares remained as they had been downloaded from the broker. The only problem was that the transaction applied a negative amount as if I had entered a buy transaction.
    Any advice you can give on entering a cost basis is appreciated. My download from the brokerage firm did not include any cost basis data, since the download included only one year of transactions.

Thanks
    Hi, again, Donald:

There are a few ways you can correct. The first thing I suggest is to get rid of any of you previous attempts so that your account is back the way it was before you tried anything.

If you want truly accurate cost basic tracking, then you would have to add in all the previous transactions (Buys, and how the cash got into the account to cover such buys. Or, at a minimum, the Add shares with cost/per lot to address). Whether or not you are interested in that is up to up. But, that would give you accurate lot tracking.

If you want the more simplified method, then you would go into the Portfolio view for your account, and select a security you are missing the basis for. As an example from a test account:

Then, click on the Add I have circled and enter the final cost basis as reported by your brokerage account in the resulting Add Guestimate field. This will make your final basis correct (regardless of the lots you might have in your register.)

If you need more help, post back.