Can install Quicken on Windows Home, but have problem on Windows Professional

I can connect to Quicken with quicken ID and actviate Quicken on Windows Home. When I installed Quicken on Windows Professional, I have problem connect to quicken with the same Quicken ID to activate quicken.
Is there any security setting I need to take care for win pro to connect to Quicken?

The registeration keeps asked me to input ID and password, and then popup a setup windows to ask me to download quicken software, but I already installed quicken on my computer.

Answers

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're being prompted for an Intuit ID, I suggest you download and apply the appropriate Mondo patch: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • Roger LiRoger Li Member ✭✭
    I have update my install to latest patch. The patch level for windows Home install and windows Professional install are the same, but with different reaction when I try to do the registration.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did you install Quicken - CD or from download -
    I think that the CD comes with an Activation Code that can only be used once.
    After that, you must sign into the Quicken.com website with your Quicken ID,
    and download a copy of Quicken from the website....
    So... again - I think the CD and Activation Code can only be used initially once, and then afte that - you need to download and install a copy from the Quicken.com website....
    BUT..... I could be wrong -

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Roger Li ,

Reinstall according to this procedure on the problem computer:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

Once you activate Quicken Subscription, you can't use the same installer to install on another computer.
    Maybe I deliver the wrong message.
    I install my quicken from the web, but not CD.
    After the installation, when I run quicken the first time, I was asked to connect to quicken.com with my quicken ID.
    On my windows Home computer, I can connect to quicken.com and then open quicken smoothly. but on my windows professional computer, I was asked to input quicken ID and password twice, then there popup a setup windows asked me to download quicken software???
    There must be something wrong with my Windows Professional when I try to connect to quicken.com with my ID/Password.
    Roger Li said: ...but on my windows professional computer, I was asked to input quicken ID and password twice, then there popup a setup windows asked me to download quicken software???
    What happens if you actually download as per the screen ?
    Maybe you are seeing a request to "update" the Quicken software.

If I response to the windows, it is just another download of quicken software. Then, I run the download, and initiate another install. After the installation, I open the qw.exe and then it request me to connect to quicken.com with my quicken ID and Password, then I will get another popup windows to ask me download and install the software again……….
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14
    Win10 Pro itself can’t be the issue. We have many Win10 Pro users, including me, who don’t have this problem.

You will need to go through the settings on your Pro machine to find the cause. Make sure Focus Assist is off so you see notifications. Check all security settings to make sure none of them are interfering with Quicken. Look at your Quicken log files.

None of us has a clue what makes your setup fail; you’re going to have to figure it out. 
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > Win10 Pro itself can’t be the issue. We have many Win10 Pro users, including me, who don’t have this problem.
    >
    > You will need to go through the settings on your Pro machine to find the cause. Make sure Focus Assist is off so you see notifications. Check all security settings to make sure none of them are interfering with Quicken. Look at your Quicken log files.
    >
    > None of us has a clue what makes your setup fail; you’re going to have to figure it out. 

Base on my experience, I have try the installation on 4 computers, 2 with Win10 Home, and 2 with Win10 Pro. The Win10 Homes can install with no problem. and the Win10 Pros all with the same symptem. I also got a error message in log file.
    "
    qw PID(20540) TID(19) 27.1.23.21 1/8/20 6:01:52:008 PM ERROR System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback "System.ArgumentException: Invalid Control character.
    Parameter: value
    in System.Net.WebHeaderCollection.CheckBadChars(String name, Boolean isHeaderValue)
    in System.Net.WebHeaderCollection.Set(String name, String value)
    in QAM.Authorization.AuthorizationClient.CreateWebClient()
    in QAM.Authorization.AuthorizationClient.SignInWithWebAuthorizationResponse(Uri responseUri, Uri IUSServerBaseURL)"
    "
    This message comes from C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Quicken\Common\Authorization\v1\Logs
    edited January 14
    Does your Windows "user name" on these Pro installs
    have just one word, no spaces, no special chars -
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14
    Roger Li said:
    I also got a error message in log file.
    "
    qw PID(20540) TID(19) 27.1.23.21 1/8/20 6:01:52:008 PM ERROR System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback "System.ArgumentException: Invalid Control character.
    Parameter: value
    in System.Net.WebHeaderCollection.CheckBadChars(String name, Boolean isHeaderValue)
    in System.Net.WebHeaderCollection.Set(String name, String value)
    in QAM.Authorization.AuthorizationClient.CreateWebClient()
    in QAM.Authorization.AuthorizationClient.SignInWithWebAuthorizationResponse(Uri responseUri, Uri IUSServerBaseURL)"
    "
    This message comes from C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Quicken\Common\Authorization\v1\Logs
    Is there anything more in this stack trace? I'm hoping there are higher level calls which you omitted for brevity. If there's more, it would be instructive to see it.

[Update] I just looked in that same file on my machine and there are indeed exceptions related to QAM.Authorization. But they all stop on 1/8/20, as if whatever it was has been fixed. Same for you?
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
    I can not find anything difference except for different version of win10 (home vs. pro).
    I got different error message from win10 home vs. pro, then home got pass the registration, but pro never work.

Win10 Home

qw PID(188) TID(28) 27.1.20.15 1/8/20 10:52:56:633 PM ERROR System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback "QAM.Authorization.AuthorizationException: Error: '' ---> System.Net.WebException: Remote server response an ERROR: (400) Invalid request.
    at System.Net.WebClient.UploadDataInternal(Uri address, String method, Byte[] data, WebRequest& request)
    at System.Net.WebClient.UploadData(Uri address, String method, Byte[] data)
    at QAM.Authorization.AuthorizationClient.SignInWithWebAuthorizationResponse(Uri responseUri, Uri IUSServerBaseURL)
    --- Internal exception status stack trace end ---
    at QAM.Authorization.Internal.Transactions.HttpTransaction.HandleResponseError(Exception exception)
    at QAM.Authorization.Internal.Transactions.RequestAccessTokenFromAuthCode.RequestAccessTokenFromAuthCodeTransaction.HandleResponse(Exception exception)
    at QAM.Authorization.AuthorizationClient.SignInWithWebAuthorizationResponse(Uri responseUri, Uri IUSServerBaseURL)"
    qw PID(12656) TID(15) 27.1.20.15 1/11/20 4:40:54:588 PM ERROR System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback "System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageException: Can not delete, Directory is not empty or does not exist.
    at System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.DeleteDirectory(String dir)
    at QAM.Authorization.Internal.SecureData.RecursivelyDeleteIsolatedStorageDirectory(IsolatedStorageFile isolatedStorageContainer, String directoryPath)
    at QAM.Authorization.Internal.SecureData.DeleteAll()
    at QAM.Authorization.AuthorizationClient.DeleteAllData()"
    qw PID(12656) TID(10) 27.1.20.15 1/11/20 4:40:55:072 PM ERROR System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback "QAM.Authorization.AuthorizationException: Error: '' ---> System.Net.WebException: Remote server response an ERROR: (400) Invalid request.
    at System.Net.WebClient.UploadDataInternal(Uri address, String method, Byte[] data, WebRequest& request)
    at System.Net.WebClient.UploadData(Uri address, String method, Byte[] data)
    at QAM.Authorization.AuthorizationClient.SignInWithWebAuthorizationResponse(Uri responseUri, Uri IUSServerBaseURL)
    --- Internal exception status stack trace end ---
    at QAM.Authorization.Internal.Transactions.HttpTransaction.HandleResponseError(Exception exception)
    at QAM.Authorization.Internal.Transactions.RequestAccessTokenFromAuthCode.RequestAccessTokenFromAuthCodeTransaction.HandleResponse(Exception exception)
    at QAM.Authorization.AuthorizationClient.SignInWithWebAuthorizationResponse(Uri responseUri, Uri IUSServerBaseURL)"

Win10 Professional

qw PID(2968) TID(25) 27.1.23.21 1/15/20 10:21:49:995 AM ERROR System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback "System.ArgumentException: Specified value has invalid Control characters.
    Parameter name: value
    at System.Net.WebHeaderCollection.CheckBadChars(String name, Boolean isHeaderValue)
    at System.Net.WebHeaderCollection.Set(String name, String value)
    at QAM.Authorization.AuthorizationClient.CreateWebClient()
    qw PID(1696) TID(9) 27.1.23.21 1/15/20 11:49:59:368 AM ERROR System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback "System.ArgumentException: Specified value has invalid Control characters.
    at System.Net.WebHeaderCollection.CheckBadChars(String name, Boolean isHeaderValue)
    qw PID(13328) TID(19) 27.1.23.21 1/15/20 12:00:03:830 PM ERROR System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback "System.ArgumentException: Specified value has invalid Control characters.
    qw PID(18192) TID(9) 27.1.23.21 1/15/20 7:45:06:419 PM ERROR System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback "System.ArgumentException: Specified value has invalid Control characters.
    qw PID(22256) TID(9) 27.1.23.21 1/15/20 9:45:44:276 PM ERROR System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback "System.ArgumentException: Specified value has invalid Control characters.
    qw PID(22256) TID(23) 27.1.23.21 1/15/20 9:55:26:040 PM ERROR System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback "System.ArgumentException: Specified value has invalid Control characters.
    qw PID(22256) TID(31) 27.1.23.21 1/15/20 10:22:23:724 PM ERROR System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback "System.ArgumentException: Specified value has invalid Control characters.
    qw PID(11684) TID(10) 27.1.23.21 1/16/20 8:18:31:966 AM ERROR System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback "System.ArgumentException: Specified value has invalid Control characters.
    When I run quicken on Win10 Pro, I got a "Welcoome to Quicken" popup window. I signed in with my quicken ID and password, then I got another Quicken sign in window, I signed in again, then it popup a Quicken Setup windows telling me that I have an active subscription with quicken, and asked me click the bottom to download the software?

If I follow the instruction to download the software and install, I will loop back to the process as above. If I sign in with wrong password, it will warn me, and won't let me sign in.

This does not happen on my Win10 Home. I assume I have connected to quicken.com, which did check my ID and password, but for some reason, it does not let me complete the registration on my Win10 Pro?
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try downloading/installing the latest Mondo patch.

Update and Mondo Patch: Subscription Release of Quicken for Windows
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > Try downloading/installing the latest Mondo patch.
    >
    > Update and Mondo Patch: Subscription Release of Quicken for Windows

all at latest level of update.
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?

FWIW, I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro on a laptop and then Quicken Subscription. No problems were encountered.
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    >
    > FWIW, I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro on a laptop and then Quicken Subscription. No problems were encountered.

I do not have Controlled Folder Access enable.
    All files are in local.
    I installed Trend anti-virus on my win10 Pro. Does anyone installed Trend anti-virus together with Quicken?
    No, I use Norton and don't have any problems.