Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

QWin crashes due to Mouse Click-ahead

rgumpertz
rgumpertz Member ✭✭✭✭
This has been an issue for years in QWin: when the program is busy doing something, if the user clicks the mouse on more than one thing before the program catches up, then it often (usually?) crashes.

For example, I just ran an OSU. While it was still finishing up, I clicked on two different accounts in the Account List. Instead of queuing the clicks, it crashed.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say: Try to avoid doing that. An unexpected crash in Quicken can damage your Quicken data file beyond repair, with a Restore from a recent Automatic or Manual Backup being the only remedy.
    Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.

Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• rgumpertz
    rgumpertz Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I do try to avoid clicking ahead on my mouse. If Quicken is being slow, however, it is pretty easy to forget and click more than one thing.

I've tried all the suggested troubleshooting to no avail.

This problem has affected Quicken for years, been reported many times, and yet it remains. Sigh. No other Windows problem that I have used has EVER crashed due to mouse click-ahead.
  • rgumpertz
    rgumpertz Member ✭✭✭✭
    Possible (I'm not sure) way to replicate my problem:

Try running OSU, wait for the Progress window to disappear, and then click on as many different accounts in the account list as you can while waiting for the OSU Status window to appear. Does that cause a crash?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rgumpertz said:
    Possible (I'm not sure) way to replicate my problem:

Try running OSU, wait for the Progress window to disappear, and then click on as many different accounts in the account list as you can while waiting for the OSU Status window to appear. Does that cause a crash?
    I'm not able to reproduce the crash.  I did notice the OSU window repaints multiple times when we click in the main window.

• Bryan128
    Bryan128 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I have at least one crash a day doing random things in quicken (latest version/patch) . I always submit a report with a description of what I was doing. The data file is fine. I think it may be related to screen rendering/repainting. Sometimes if Quicken is minimized, just the act of restoring the window can cause the crash. I am a developer and use dozens of apps doing memory/processor intensive stuff all day. Quicken is the only app that crashes during the course of the day. Frustrating.
  • rgumpertz
    rgumpertz Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Responding to Bryan: I agree with you that Quicken's interface to Windows and the world is shaky at best.

For some reason, the planners & developers at Quicken consider it more important to make trivial changes (such as changing the icons at the top or renaming SKIP to IGNORE for reminders) and to add minor features than to fix the fundamentals (such as the display flashing all the time or the program hanging or the program crashing). People have been complaining about this for years, if not decades.

I'll admit I've become a bit cynical! Even when I offer my services as a skilled developer and debugger to help them find the problems, they have been absolutely silent. That is no way to run a company.

See also https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20042028
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    rgumpertz said:
    Even when I offer my services as a skilled developer and debugger to help them find the problems, they have been absolutely silent.
    Have you applied to be a beta tester and been refused?
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Bryan128
    Bryan128 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Well to give credit where credit is due, since the latest update 24.11, I haven't had any crashes, so good job dev/test team. Hopefully the crash reports I've been submitting were helpful in diagnosing and fixing the problem
  • rgumpertz
    rgumpertz Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I just had a mouse click-ahead crash in R24.11 so I guess it is not yet fixed.

I modified a transaction and while Quicken was still processing, I clicked SCROLL UP on the register scroll bar. Quicken immediately crashed.

I hope they keep working this bug.
This discussion has been closed.