Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

How to enable crash dumps on Quicken Windows 2020

I'm having a regular crash associated with One Step Updates (somewhat different than those being reported). These predated a migration from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and Quicken Win 2017 to Quicken Win Subscription (latest version). But that's secondary to what I'm trying to fix right now.

Prior to these migrations, I was able to generate & send the dump file to support. But now when it crashes, I'm getting the "Failed to create a dump file (error 183) message. There's a thread on this error that refers to changing Windows Defender settings, although some of the threads aren't accessible (see https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7856880/quicken-crashes-with-any-update-fail-to-create-dump-file-message )

However, as best I know, I don't run Windows Defender (I run McAfee). And wasn't able to find a similar configuration option. I did make sure that the AppData\Local\CrashDumps directory exists & is writable by my user account.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? If I'm not able to get these crash dumps, my chance of resolving the OSU crashes.

Comments

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You make no mention of running a file validate. If you haven't, I would start there. File>File Operations>Validate.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 2004
  • sahurdsahurd Member ✭✭
    Sorry, should have mentioned that. The file has been super-validated and is completely clean of errors. I'm not really trying to solve the Quicken problem at this point, just enabling the ability get a crash dump that can be used to help diagnose the actual Quicken problem.
    If it's not your data, then it seems to be the installation of Quicken. Have you installed Q2017 using the mondo patch? If so, then it seems time to contact Quicken support.

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 2004
  • sahurdsahurd Member ✭✭
    I'm actually running Q2020 & seemingly the latest version (R23.21, Build 27.1.23.21). Initial attempt to resolve with Quicken Support wasn't fruitful, perhaps because this is potentially more of a Windows issue than a Quicken issue.
    I should have also mentioned that it is also possible to have a data file corrupted to the point that a validate cannot resolve. In which case your only alternative is to go to a backup far enough before the issue presented itself.
    Why do you believe it may be a Windows issue?
  • sahurdsahurd Member ✭✭
    With the caveat that I may have this all wrong...

Two issues:
    1. Quicken is crashing (regularly, but not in an repeatable way. That is almost certainly a Quicken issue.
    2. Because Quicken is crashing in a non-repeatable way, it's important to generate/save/send a crash memory dump. But I'm not able to do that. This is likely a Windows issue ("error 183"), but also possibly related to Quicken's installation or configuration.

I'm trying to solve #2 now, so I can get the information that will help solve #1.

As for the data file, when I run super validation, I get results (see below) that would seem to be hard to come by if there was major file corruption:

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.
    QEL:
    No read errors.
    QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14
    In my experience, Q dumps land in %TEMP%, not in anything called CrashDumps.

And you may be attaching more importance to dumps than they are due. It all depends on how Q is compiled and linked. If compiled optimized, as opposed to debuggable, and linked without symbols, the crash dump won’t have enough info to be useful. Q development staff have not disclosed this information.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • sahurdsahurd Member ✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > In my experience, Q dumps land in %TEMP%, not in anything called CrashDump.
    >
    > And you may be attaching more importance to dumps than they are due. It all depends on how Q is compiled and linked. If compiled optimized, as opposed to debuggable, and linked without symbols, the crash dump won’t have enough info to be useful. Q development staff have not disclosed this information.

Thanks for this. I checked %TEMP% & that also seems easily writeable. So who knows where the dump is actually trying to go?

As for whether the crash dump is valuable, I merely assumed they were valuable, as previously when the crash occurred, I was given the option to send them in. That might well be theater.

I just downloaded & installed the very latest version (R24.11). I assume it's unlikely the crashing that's spanned multiple versions will be fixed, but who knows?