Why am I seeing 5 figure swings in my bank account?

This is not a simple reconciliation issue or missing a couple of outstanding payments. This is random updates showing me with roughly $15-20k more or less than I should have in my banking account. This has been happening for several months now, none of the Quicken updates make a difference. I would carefully balance the account, add a miscellaneous adjustment, then Quicken would mess it up again. The amounts are random, ni both directions and large. I am really reluctant to make a new account, because I have had to do this for credit cards, and that has not worked well (multiple duplications) in recent Quicken versions. This is a relatively new occurrence in Quicken, and if I hadn't had 20 years invested in Quicken, I surely would have moved on before now, and unfortunately am really considering that now. Any ideas or thoughts appreciated.
Thanks

Answers

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tdewy said:
     I would carefully balance the account, add a miscellaneous adjustment, then Quicken would mess it up again.
    You say you've used Quicken for 20 years, then how is it you still use miscellaneous adjustments to reconcile an account? Never is adding an adjustment considered reconciling! This practice forces the Quicken balance to agree for one month, but will have consequences in subsequent months. Simply put, you should never have adjustments of any kind after the initial balance is set.

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1909
  • TdewyTdewy Member
    Thanks for the reply, I totally agree with your comments. For 19.5 years, I never needed to make any adjustments, Quicken worked as designed. I was just making the point that even if I did make a misc entry to balance the account, it was a temporary fix and Quicken would unbalance it, unpredictably, with the next update.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect something else may be going on with your data file.  Perhaps an entry that was back posted by mistake to cause the out-of-balance?
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1909