Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

quicken 2020 for windows v23.21 loads and runs slow

The app runs starts up and runs much slower than, say, 6 months ago. What's up?

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• Robert EdgarRobert Edgar Member ✭✭
    Tried Troubleshooting 101. Still runs slow. Other programs do not. Any more thoughts out there. Appreciate your input.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
    My Quicken files (both data and back-up) are in This PC > Document > Data > Quicken Dada > Quicken Data by Year > 2020 Files.
    I do not use Windows Defender. I use Norton 360.
    I use Dropbox.
    What do you think?
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Using Carbonite, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. as the Backup process

(For this discussion, Carbonite is assumed to be the backup product in effect. Replace "Carbonite" with the name of your backup tool.
    It is also assumed that your Quicken data file is stored in the default (and recommended) location C:\Users\_your_username_here_\Documents\Quicken)

IMHO, you should keep Carbonite (or any other third party backup product which you use) away from your live Quicken data file. It will interfere with some Quicken operations, especially Manual Backup.

Instead, configure Carbonite to backup either of these files:
    - The backup file created by Quicken Automatic Backup
    Or
    - The backup file created by Quicken Manual Backup as you close Quicken.

Backup settings in Quicken are stored in Edit / Preferences / Backup.

If you choose the Automatic Backup file as Carbonite candidate (or even if you don't), activate this process and set it to execute every "1" times Quicken closes. The Automatic Backup file always goes to a \Backup folder that's part of the folder which contains your current Quicken data file, usually
    \Documents\Quicken\Backup

If you choose the Manual Backup file as Carbonite candidate, create a separate
    \Quicken\Carbonite_Backup folder and direct the Manual Backups to go there every "1" times Quicken closes. Select the "Add date stamp to file name option" so you get multiple backups and not just one that is overwritten every time.

For a belts and suspenders approach:

Automatic Backups go to Carbonite, Manual Backups go to a USB stick or external hard drive.

One can never have enough backups of your Quicken data file. BTDTGTS!

Note: It's been brought to my attention that some versions of Quicken may not start the backup process upon close and/or Sync to Mobile if you close Quicken by any command other than clicking the (used to be red) "X". Using the other commands, Quicken may just simply wait for you to open a new file to resume.

If you Sync to Mobile, a complete Sync process may take many minutes.

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Install the mono patch (complete reinstall) and see if this does not resolve your speed issues.

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1909
    Geoff,
    I installed the mondo patch. Think it was already installed as my app is up to date. I'm running Quicken 2020 R25.21.
    I moved my application back to Windows Program Files (X86), Quicken. Don't notice any difference in performance. Think I will move it back to my Data Folder with the back-ups.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robert,
    A couple of points: the mondo patch may be the same release, the point is that it is a complete reinstall of Quicken, not a partial .exe and dll update pushed out every few weeks/months. I've noticed significant speed increases with the mondo update when experiencing issues.
    You should not be moving files from Quicken install. Let the installer app place them where they go. Quicken is a patchwork of code and has (and expects) files to be where they should be.
    Your data file should reside under ..Documents/Quicken and separate from the backup folder.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1909
    Geoff,
    Thanks for your thoughts. My problem continues. Internet downloads are OK, but operations internal to the program take forever.
    My application is in Windows/Program Files (X86)/Quicken. My current data file is in a folder (Documents/Data/Quicken Data) separate from back-ups.
    Any more thoughts?
    Bob Edgar
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭