Trying to sign up for Quicken Bill Pay -- No longer sure this is a good idea.

Seeking advice. I have been trying to sign up for Quicken BIll Pay since mid-December. Mostly just waiting for them to do their "processing". Today I received an email that they want me to submit copies of a check, Social Security Card, Drivers License, and Utility Bill. Why they wait 30 days to ask for this is pretty amazing -- if it is needed, it should be asked as part of initial sign-up.

BUT what was truly shocking is that they want me to send this to them via unsecure normal email. I might as well just post this info on a hacker's website. AMAZING. This is asking for identity fraud. I would expect that they would have a secure document upload website if they want this information submitted. But no, they want it via normal email.

So now I'm thinking that this is not an organization that I think is safe to do business with. Seems like a very shoddy service.

Am I missing something?

Using Q2020 WIndows 10 (lastest updates on both)

Comments

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check to see if your bank offers bill pay.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • RobertRobert Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > Check to see if your bank offers bill pay.

My Bank (Schwab) offers good free bill pay which I've been using forever. But it requires an extra step for each bill. Reconcile in Quicken and then log onto Schwab and enter the payment info. Trying to get rid of this step.

I know some banks can do this directly (like Chase), but trying to avoid signing up for yet another account and Quicken advertising free Bill Pay with their subscription. Just doesn't seem like a professional operation......
  • RobertRobert Member ✭✭
    I'm not the only one thinking using unsecured email is a bad idea: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7855896/bill-pay-security

I did email Quicken Support and Quicken Bill Pay asking for a secure upload process. Quicken Support sent me a secure email telling me to send it via regular email to their secure email address. They clearly don't understand the concern at all.

However Quicken Bill Pay also responded (using normal unsecure email) with a link to a secure upload site from their parent company (FIS). This looks like a good secure process. I'm just flabbergasted that this isn't their standard process. If they were a real financial institution, their unsecure process would get them noticed by Federal regulators.
  • DeMoroDeMoro Member
    Impossible to install. Error message says an error has been encountered but "its not your fault." This has been going ever since I "upgraded from version 17 to the latest 2020 version. I installed an update today .. 24.11 ... but it did not help. I have been using Quicken since the 1990s and have never had this kind of problem.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: http://quickenbillpay.com/ArticleWinSwitch.html
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • >:)

I am attempting to sign up for Quicken Bill pay because for some reason the latest version of quicken killed by ability to pay bills directly from my back. I have never experienced a more poorly design nor supported service.

Is it just me or have others actually gotten this set up recently?

- I attempted the signup in late December. I am STILL awaiting the 'confirmation transactions' with my bank.
    - I logged in to the application to try and submit a message - and the message application does not allow me to choose a 'reason for the message' and at the same time requires me to 'choose a reason for the message'.
    - The UX for the service it a giant leap in to the late 90's.

I appreciate that Quicken has been refocusing since the whole restructuring but really - with all the modern fintec firms out there can't they find a better partner on this?
  • DeMoroDeMoro Member
    I enrolled shortly after installing quicken. Quicken bill pay website says that I do not have an approved account.
  • DeMoroDeMoro Member
    Its been nearly two weeks since I enrolled and bill pay still does not function.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @DeMoro

Thank you for providing more details, although I apologize that you haven't received a follow-up response.

When enrolling for a Quicken Bill Pay account, you should receive 2 micro-deposits in the funding account, have you received these deposits?

If not, I would recommend contacting Quicken Bill Pay to confirm the state of the account. http://quickenbillpay.com/

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • hlipperthlippert Member
    I have used Quicken since it’s first release and bill pay for over 25 years. After switching to subscription Quicken and having to create a new account I started the update process the end of December and after 3 weeks, numerous call, 2 support tickets I still have not gotten the micro deposits needed to complete the update. Support tells my they cannot talk directly to the people that handle the deposits
  • anaxagorasanaxagoras Member
    I'm going through the same ordeal. I signed up almost 3 weeks ago. I opened a ticket, only to get an email that it was closed the next day, and no one got back to me. The survey i received did not help that agent's Net Promoter Score, that's for sure.

I just tried an online chat, first thing i asked was can you help me with this... got a yes, then the agent starts walking me through steps like the problem is on my PC.... Then when i questioned what the agent was doing i was told, i'm sorry i can't help you with this product... I'm sad to say i lost it on him/her since it ws te first question i asked...

I just bought Quicken mainly for bill pay... Now the more I read about it, the less crazy I am about handing over ridiculous amounts of personal information to a company who can't manage to get the enrollment process right.
  • RobertRobert Member ✭✭
    I gave up on Quicken Bill Pay. After 45 days of total BS, inexcusable delays, being forced to start over, and impossible requests for account verification, I signed up for a Chase Checking Account which has direct integration of their bill pay with quicken. Their support sucks too but at least the product seems to work and with some trial and error I think I have it set up and it will begin to pay bills next week. That is, of course, if their fraud department actually lets me fund the account. Turns out funding the account with Chase's ACH gets the attention of Chase's money laundering police. But it looks like if I initiate the ACH from outside of Chase and send the money to them and keep the amounts not too large, it will work.....

If you have one direct deposit a month, the checking account and bill pay are free.

And this looks like a good solution that will save me time in paying bills and will reduce errors.
  • DeMoroDeMoro Member
    Bill pay still will not install. I have not received any micro deposits in my account. I am probably going to breakaway from Quicken altogether and search for a different application. Support from Quicken on this issue is mediocre at best. And after many years of using Quicken the program has degraded to the point where attempting to "fix" it is an exercise in diminishing returns.
  • johnjayjohnjay Member ✭✭
    edited February 15
    I been having the same problem with Bill Pay for two months now, since the middle of December, after using it successfully for over 20 years. I've gone through the same process of applying and being told to wait for the microdeposits. They never show up. I've enrolled twice now with no success.

A couple of the phone reps told me that this is all the result of Quicken being sold last October (a little checking on my own says it was to H.I.G. Capital, a private equity firm). Apparently Intuit was handling the connections between banks and Quicken Bill Pay and with the sale Quicken now has to set up its own connections with the banks. That's why things broke for a lot of us a few weeks ago.(Removed-Inaccurate)
  • Thomas BorgnisThomas Borgnis Member ✭✭
    With the release of Quicken Bill Manager in the recent update, does that mean that Quicken Bill Pay is going to be going away?
    The short answer is no.

Quicken Bill Pay
    is a third-party bill payment service provided by Metavante Payment Services.

Intuit sold its Quicken Bill Manager service to Princeton eCom in 2001.

The relatively new feature in Quicken I think you may be referring to integrates a third-party online bill presentment service - not a new bill payment service.

Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    edited February 18
    It sure looks like a bill payment service to me.

Under the "Bills and Income" tab, click the gear icon and click "Set up Quicken Bill Manager". It asks for your checking account info to make electronic payments and check payments.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is new in R25.10. I had been trying to find it, unsuccessfully, until @Thomas Borgnis revealed where it was hiding.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
    edited February 18
    This is new in R25.10. I had been trying to find it, unsuccessfully, until @Thomas Borgnis revealed where it was hiding.

It does sound like an alternative to Quicken Bill Pay for Premier and above.  I wonder who is the provider.

Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    edited February 18
    @Quicken Kathryn That's great, but you didn't answer my question. Is Quicken Bill Pay going away because of this new Quicken Bill Manager service? I already have all my billers set up to use Quicken Bill Pay so I don't want to have to change if I don't need to.
  • Quicken KathrynQuicken Kathryn Administrator admin
    @Thomas Borgnis We don’t have any announcements to make today about Quicken Bill Pay. The new Quicken Bill Manager is a different experience, and we hope you’ll try it!  

There's also a "copy" function for Quicken Bill Pay payees, so if you do want to try Quicken Bill Manager, you don't need to re-create anything: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-copy-bill-pay-option

Hope this helps!
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
    > @Quicken Kathryn said:
    > @Thomas Borgnis We don’t have any announcements to make today about Quicken Bill Pay. The new Quicken Bill Manager is a different experience, and we hope you’ll try it!  
    >
    > There's also a "copy" function for Quicken Bill Pay payees, so if you do want to try Quicken Bill Manager, you don't need to re-create anything: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-copy-bill-pay-option
    >
    > Hope this helps!

Right, so in other words, you plan on eventually phasing out Quicken Bill Pay and forcing us to use your new service even if we don't want to. I tried using it already and found out I can't make payments in advance. I can only make payments on the day that I click "Quick Pay". With Bill Pay, I can make multiple payments in advance so I don't need to worry about it when the due date arrives. This new service is less convenient.
  • DeMoroDeMoro Member
    Just downloaded version 25.1 of Home and Business. Now, bill pay is not even listed in Tools. There was a brief message about the two replacements for bill-pay but there is no clue about that in quicken.
  • BenBen Member ✭✭
    I hope you do phase out and kill Quicken Bill Pay with Metavante Payment Services! I had nothing but problems with that company and they charged for even receiving an electronic bill. After multiple phone calls to get a refund, it took a complaint to the BBB before they actually did it!
    > @Ben said:
    > I hope you do phase out and kill Quicken Bill Pay with Metavante Payment Services! I had nothing but problems with that company and they charged for even receiving an electronic bill. After multiple phone calls to get a refund, it took a complaint to the BBB before they actually did it!

Okay, well, that's you. I personally have never had an issue with Quicken Bill Pay.
  • DeMoroDeMoro Member
    Updated to 25.1 this morning. Now, there is no option listed under tools to install bill-pay. When I downloaded there was a short message about other means to pay bills but I do not see any options listed in Quicken. Also, I received an email asking for a copy of a voided check, etc., to send to Quicken so that I could then install bill-pay.

What is going on here?????
  • BenBen Member ✭✭
    @Thomas Borgnis See the other comment below mine. And many others across the community. Many people have had issues with this company. And obviously Quicken knows about the issues, or they wouldn't have bothered to make their own bill manager service to replace it.
    edited February 19
    @Ben Have you even tried the new service? You aren't able to plan payments in advance. You can only do payments on the same day. That's not more convenient. That's a hassle. At least with QBP I can send payments a couple of weeks ahead and have them be there on the day it's due. Now I have to pay them exactly on the day they are due. God forbid something goes wrong with their service and I can't do that.

And again, I use QBP constantly and I have never had an issue with them. My bills get where they are supposed to on time. That's all I care about.
This discussion has been closed.