Quicken for Mac v5.14 Released

Quicken MarcusQuicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
Today we released Quicken for Mac v5.14.

We're excited to introduce QuickFill which gives you fine control over what categories, tags, and memos are applied to payees when downloading transactions or provides you specific options to choose from when manually adding a transaction.  This is basically the memorized transaction feature from Quicken Windows or 2007. 

Every time you edit a category in the register, a QuickFill will automatically get created so the next time this payee is used it will automatically fill the category with your selection.  Uncheck the checkbox if you don't want a QuickFill created for a particular payee.

Edit the QuickFill rule in the Payees & Rules screen to define tags, memos, or other fields to be automatically applied to a transaction using a specific Payee.

5.14 also brings new transaction report functionality.  You can now define specifically how you want transfers and adjustments to appear in your transaction reports.

You also have the option to add a time interval to your time-based transaction report.

We also improved Renaming Rules by introducing a Do Not Rename rule.  Sometimes the original payee statement name has important information you don’t want to miss. With the do not rename setting, Quicken knows not to “clean up” the payee names you’ve specified.

Finally, we fixed a number of stability issues but probably the one that I think affects the most people is an issue where the Monday security Day Change values were wrong for some brokerages.  I've seen a number of people report this issue.

Please direction any issues you run into with the 5.14 release to this forum post.  A number of us will be reviewing the comments to see if people are running into any issues.

UPDATES

1/16 - Started the roll out of 5.14 to customers. We'll be doing a staged rollout so not every one will be able to get it.  
1/16 - I stopped the release in case the issue where people couldn't download transactions was related to the release but we found out it was unrelated.  The issue was that the Quicken Connect service was down for all Quicken customers across the country. This is now fixed.
1/17 - Quicken 5.14 is rolling out to all customers.  Crashes are low although I ran into one personally and we'll be rolling out a fix for it next week but I was the only one who ran into it as of the last time I looked.  Everything is looking good.
1/21 - Shipped 5.14.1.  This fixes the crashes customers were running into in reports and a number of other stability issues.  We did not ship a fix for the 0 amount that appears in Transaction reports but have figured out the issue. Basically a QuickFill rule is getting created that will apply a 0 amount to a split line when a payee is used.  To manually fix this issue, just remove the split line and find the QuickFill rule and delete it.  We have a fix working internally but need to test it before we ship to everyone.
1/22 - Shipped 5.14.2.  This fixes the 0 amount transaction issue in reports/splits.  We also allowed the window size to be made smaller.  We don't currently plan on any additional releases for 5.14 but we're still reviewing comments in the forums, crashes and other analytics we are watching. 

Tagged:

Comments

• Kevin45Kevin45 Member ✭✭
    Unable to download transactions for all accounts since this update. Same error for each account

QCS_SERVER_ERROR:client:connect:HTTP transport Error:java.lang.NullPointerException; nested exception is: HTTP transport error: java.lang.NullPointerException
  • Quicken MarcusQuicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    Kevin45 said:
    Unable to download transactions for all accounts since this update. Same error for each account

QCS_SERVER_ERROR:client:connect:HTTP transport Error:java.lang.NullPointerException; nested exception is: HTTP transport error: java.lang.NullPointerException
    Can you go to the Help : Report a Problem menu so we can take a look at your logs to see what's happening. Sorry you're running into this issue.  We'll jump on it right away.
  • mwreaganmwreagan Member
    Same here. Quicken for Mac 5.14. Mac OS 10.14.6.
    mwreagan said:
    Same here. Quicken for Mac 5.14. Mac OS 10.14.6.
    OK. That's not good. Let me pull the release back and lets investigate.  mwreagan, can you also do a Help : Report a Problem.

• feuerhermfeuerherm Member
    Also same errors. Have send report a few moments ago. Quicken for Mac 5.14.0 on Mac OS 10.13.6. Up until this evenings update, I received consistent "Denied Throttler Request" on two of five accounts, which cleared after clicking retry.
  • grs883grs883 Member
    Another one. 5.14. OS 10.15.2 Sent a problem report.
  • Doug BlakeleyDoug Blakeley Member ✭✭
    Same here. Quicken for Mac 5.14. Mac OS 10.15.2. This is a disaster!!!! Trying to recover from database copy from 2 weeks ago and Quicken 5.13.3.
    Sorry this happened. We've now got enough logs to investigate.  We will try to have a fix for everyone tomorrow.
    OK, I just got word that this is most likely not related to the Quicken Mac release. The entire transaction download service appears to be down meaning no one using Quicken Connect accounts can download transactions. It doesn't matter if you're using Quicken Mac 2017, v5.13, v5.14 or even Quicken Windows.  I'll keep everyone posted.
  • M C CrockettM C Crockett Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken Marcus:  I hate to pile on but I just downloaded and installed Quicken 5.14.0 and all financial institution accessed via Quicken Connect failed to download any transactions and reported a QCS_SERVER_ERROR:client connect:HTTP transport error:java.lang,NullPointerException.

Also, the database update took an unusually long time to complete.  I haven't gone through the database to see what other problems might lurk there.
    @Quicken Marcus:  I hate to pile on but I just downloaded and installed Quicken 5.14.0 and all financial institution accessed via Quicken Connect failed to download any transactions and reported a QCS_SERVER_ERROR:client connect:HTTP transport error:java.lang,NullPointerException.

Also, the database update took an unusually long time to complete.  I haven't gone through the database to see what other problems might lurk there.
    Hi MC Crockett, I think I was writing the message above when you were writing your message.  The issue is unrelated to the Quicken Mac release.  It appears our Quicken Connect transaction download service is down which means everyone is blocked from downloading transactions and not just 5.14 customers. 
  • M C CrockettM C Crockett Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken Marcus:  More bad news.  I just ran Quicken Beta.  It is reporting the same errors for all financial institutions accessed via Quicken Connect (Express Web Connect).  The error is related to some change made in the Quicken Cloud today and not the Quicken application
    Not sure I buy Quicken Connect issues. After going back to QM 5.13.3 and a data file from 2 weeks ago the download service was working. Am certainly going to wait a few days and check this posting before updating to QM 5.14.
  • grs883grs883 Member
    Just got a transaction download with no errors. Account status shows all accounts are now downloading okay. I seem to be running normal on 5.14. Sorry for the false alarm.
  • monotagamonotaga Member
    @Quicken Marcus, thanks for the prompt responses and updates! As a user, it'd definitely be helpful to get a more meaningful error message (eg. "Quicken Connect is unavailable; please try again later!") instead of getting a null pointer exception (NPE) error.
    @Quicken Marcus:  More bad news.  I just ran Quicken Beta.  It is reporting the same errors for all financial institutions accessed via Quicken Connect (Express Web Connect).  The error is related to some change made in the Quicken Cloud today and not the Quicken application
    Yes, everything was down and it was actually not related to any release by Quicken either by us on the Mac team or Quicken Cloud. We're working with our partners to fix the issue and Quicken Connect transaction downloads should be starting to work again for customers shortly.  A few of us have been able to download transactions locally but I'm not sure if the issue has been resolved across the country yet.
  • mwreaganmwreagan Member
    All is well. Thanks, Marcus.
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, @Quicken Marcus ,

I wish we got the same kind of detailed information about new releases for Quicken for Windows.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And some say Quicken is not committed to the Mac version ?!   ;-P
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian Q user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Guess I was the unlucky one that downloaded the update and had my database updated at just the wrong time when the system was coming back on line. Database was corrupted and unusable. Fortunately I had a backup from 2 weeks ago and was able to recover. Still at QM 15.13.3.
  • John_MJohn_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Marcus,

I'm confused about your statement, "5.14 also brings new transaction report functionality.  You can now define specifically how you want transfers and adjustments to appear in your transaction reports."

I'm running 5.13 and my screen looks exactly the same (see attachments). What am I missing?
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    John, You screenshot is for a Summary or Comparison report in 5.13. The Advanced tab was added to those two report (but not the Transaction report) in 5.13. If you create a Transaction report from scratch, you'll see the Advanced tab is not present.

That said, there seems to be a bug in 5.13 where if you change an existing Summary or Comparison report to a Transaction report, the Advanced tab remains in the customization options. (It should not in 5.13) I don't know if when you do that it actually functions. I would guess not. But doesn't really matter once 5.14 is out and about.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • The latest update for Quicken for Mac removed an important tool. In the "Scheduled Transaction" category for bills and income, we used to be able to schedule a transaction on a specific day in a specific week of the month. Now, however, we can schedule only on a specific date. For those of us who receive monthly Social Security payments that is not appropriate. I receive my Social Security on the 3rd Wednesday of each month. In January that was January 15, but in February it will be a different date. The latest version of Quicken, however, does not permit me to schedule the transaction the appropriate way. PUT THE OLD TOOL BACK, PLEASE!
  • Ray SmithRay Smith Member
    When will Quicken create a feature that sends me an alert when I'm close to or going over my budget amount for each category? I'm surprised this isn't already available. For example, I would like to have it alert me when I'm close to going over my food budget or entertainment budget. Part of this feature is that my account would sync new transactions automatically each day instead of having to open my app to sync.
    edited January 17
    The latest update for Quicken for Mac removed an important tool. In the "Scheduled Transaction" category for bills and income, we used to be able to schedule a transaction on a specific day in a specific week of the month. Now, however, we can schedule only on a specific date. For those of us who receive monthly Social Security payments that is not appropriate. I receive my Social Security on the 3rd Wednesday of each month. In January that was January 15, but in February it will be a different date. The latest version of Quicken, however, does not permit me to schedule the transaction the appropriate way. PUT THE OLD TOOL BACK, PLEASE!
    I think we can still do this.  Does this setting do what you're asking?

• noramarnoramar Member ✭✭
    I noticed that the previous update introduced something I didn't like, but it didn't bother me too much. I have a scheduled transaction for my weekly groceries, but I don't shop every week at the same place. I noticed that future weeks were changing to my latest one. With today's update, when I changed today's grocery payee it didn't remember that payee at all to begin with, and now it changed ALL of my previous grocery bills going back to the beginning of time to that payee. How can I fix this, or can I fix it at all? This is terrible! I have no way of knowing for sure where I shopped in the past!
  • Strongly agree with @jacobs. Took me several days of frustration before I randomly clicked that little triangle and opened up a whole new world. Who knew? :#
  • ConcordmanConcordman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well I guess I am under a nice friendly cloud today, did a download after updating to 5.14.. The sole account where Quicken Connect is used is my Capital One account. No errors reported.