Quicken for Mac v5.14 Released

15678911»

Comments

  • glennmaccglennmacc Member ✭✭
    [email protected], John_M, It appears to have been some weird fluke. I restarted the computer and the behavior has stopped. Thanks for letting me know it was not a Quicken problem.
  • User251646User251646 Member ✭✭
    > @John_M said:
    > Finally, the moderators may wish to move this to another topic,
    > since it doesn't deal directly with the topic "Quicken for
    > Mac v5.14 Released."

    I copied key parts of the work-around approach to the thread I had started getting IRA distributions to appear in the Tax Schedule report:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20063925#Comment_20063925

    Thank you @glennmacc and @John_M for this work-around which worked for me, although I hope the QM team can eventually provide a better fix by making QMac work more like QWin for IRA distributions.
    Quicken Mac Subscription
  • pamela77pamela77 Member ✭✭
    Hello, I have been reading this thread for a week or so and waiting to see if it is recommended to go ahead with the new update yet. There were problems when it first came out and I see that some of them are fixed, but some of them are still there? Is it best to go ahead with the new update now? Thank you
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @pamela77 No software is ever truly done or bug-free, so answering your question is somewhat subjective. I believe that most current users have upgraded and are using version 5.14.3, but some are waiting for a change in the QuickFill functionality which has been promised for version 5.15 in roughly a month. 
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • michaelweinbergmichaelweinberg Member ✭✭
    @pamela77 Based on this thread, I had been waiting to upgrade. However, I upgraded earlier today and all seems to be functioning well.
  • TP15TP15 Member
    Since my Qmac installed 5.14.3, the app has been completely unstable, crashing when I'm just opening or scrolling through accounts. Never had a problem like this before. If I have to wait a month for a fix, I will be very frustrated.
  • Snoopy FCSnoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hiding inactive investment accounts even if the data are not to be hidden from reports prevents the investment graphs from reflecting all historical data.  This is particularly noticeable on an aggregate or totals investment graph for a category such as retirement.  This issue has been present for several years.  Has anyone else noticed this?  I've reported it to Quicken.  


    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • pamela77pamela77 Member ✭✭
    Thank you Jacobs and michaelweingberg, sounds like it is time to go ahead with the update.
  • Avi DeeAvi Dee Member ✭✭
    > @RCinNJ said:
    > (Quote)
    > it is useful to use the "Report a Problem" under Help to send your info directly to the developers.

    I want an actual way to report actual bugs. I don’t know how to do so.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avi Dee said:
    > @RCinNJ said:
    > (Quote)
    > it is useful to use the "Report a Problem" under Help to send your info directly to the developers.

    I want an actual way to report actual bugs. I don’t know how to do so.
    @Avi Dee Using Report a Problem is the way to report a bug. (Mentioning it here may get it noticed, but it may not.)

    When you use Report a Problem, you won't get a response. Someone will try to replicate what you report, so be as specific as possible. (In the case of the delay on your investment screen that you're describing in another thread, you might way to allow Report a Problem to create and send a sanitized version of your file; without that, it seems unlikely they'll replicate what you're seeing, in my non-expert opinion.) If they can't replicate what you report, they will ignore it.

    If they can replicate what you report, and determine it is not operating as designed, then they will check their bug database to see if it is already in there, and if not, it will get entered as a bug in their database. At that point, there is no certainty when or how quickly it will be addressed. Crashing problems are generally the top priority, and aesthetic issues the lowest -- but between that, there are hundreds, if not thousands of issues large and small that they are constantly working on. When something gets addressed may depend on the severity, whether they are planning other changes in that area of the program code, and which developers are needed/available to work on certain types of problems.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • > @jacobs said:
    > (Quote)
    > @"Avi Dee" Using Report a Problem is the way to report a bug. (Mentioning it here may get it noticed, but it may not.)
    >
    > When you use Report a Problem, you won't get a response. Someone will try to replicate what you report, so be as specific as possible. (In the case of the delay on your investment screen that you're describing in another thread, you might way to allow Report a Problem to create and send a sanitized version of your file; without that, it seems unlikely they'll replicate what you're seeing, in my non-expert opinion.) If they can't replicate what you report, they will ignore it.
    >
    > If they can replicate what you report, and determine it is not operating as designed, then they will check their bug database to see if it is already in there, and if not, it will get entered as a bug in their database. At that point, there is no certainty when or how quickly it will be addressed. Crashing problems are generally the top priority, and aesthetic issues the lowest -- but between that, there are hundreds, if not thousands of issues large and small that they are constantly working on. When something gets addressed may depend on the severity, whether they are planning other changes in that area of the program code, and which developers are needed/available to work on certain types of problems.

    The method of reporting a problem you mention does not work if the application hangs and is unresponsive. Major fail.
  • Just LurkingJust Lurking Member ✭✭✭
    The method of reporting a problem you mention does not work if the application hangs and is unresponsive. Major fail.
    Fortunately, this is a known problem that affects all applications. After you killed the non-responding program, depending on your privacy settings, you may have received a pop-up asking you to send your crash report to Apple. As long as you a) chose to do so, and b) have allowed "Apple to share with third party developers", Quicken should be able to see your crash report.

    Note that I do not know for sure that Quicken actually receives and monitors this information, but it is useful information available to them so I don't see why they would not.
  • keilmillerjr@[email protected] Member ✭✭
    edited February 11
    > @Just Lurking said:
    > (Quote)
    > Fortunately, this is a known problem that affects all applications. After you killed the non-responding program, depending on your privacy settings, you may have received a pop-up asking you to send your crash report to Apple. As long as you a) chose to do so, and b) have allowed "Apple to share with third party developers", Quicken should be able to see your crash report.
    >
    > Note that I do not know for sure that Quicken actually receives and monitors this information, but it is useful information available to them so I don't see why they would not.

    Crash Reporter works for a crash, not a hang. I had a live support with Quicken. They were useless, doing things like asking multiple times if I was using Quicken 2020 when I posted a hang report with app and version number right at the top. Very disappointed, but I kind of expected it.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The method of reporting a problem you mention does not work if the application hangs and is unresponsive. Major fail.
    No, not really. I didn't say to report it during the problem. @Avi Dee said: "I want an actual way to report actual bugs. I don’t know how to do so." Report a Problem is the way to report a bug.

    If you need to Force Quit, do so and re-launch Quicken, then report the problem. If you're experiencing the hang upon launch, then Quicken is having a problem with your data file; you can launch Quicken without it opening a data file (hold down the Shift key while double-clicking the application) and then you can report the problem. (But you probably need to contact Quicken support and ask for escalation help if you can't open your data file -- or revert to a backup prior to the problem occurring.)
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • > @jacobs said:
    > (Quote)
    > No, not really. I didn't say to report it during the problem. @Avi Dee said: "I want an actual way to report actual bugs. I don’t know how to do so." Report a Problem is the way to report a bug.
    >
    > If you need to Force Quit, do so and re-launch Quicken, then report the problem. If you're experiencing the hang upon launch, then Quicken is having a problem with your data file; you can launch Quicken without it opening a data file (hold down the Shift key while double-clicking the application) and then you can report the problem. (But you probably need to contact Quicken support and ask for escalation help if you can't open your data file -- or revert to a backup prior to the problem occurring.)

    I have done those things. I am not an idiot. I am actually a programmer. I never even had a data file. Quicken support was a joke. I did contact them. I left the app hanging overnight with my computer set to not sleep and it finally worked. If I continue to have issues, I will try running the windows version in wine. Or just cancel my subscription. I get amazing support from my bank.
  • Just thought I'd add a comment here, given my nervousness about upgrading. I've been using the new version for a couple of weeks now, and I love it! I really like how it remembers my prior categories and names and re-uses them. It's greatly improved my efficiency. Thank you, Quicken team!
  • QuickMyKeysQuickMyKeys Member
    My take is different. I am frustrated by how long it took me to figure out why every Walmart transaction always split into the exact same three categories regardless of what I purchased. I had no idea this feature was added and couldn't find anything about it online. My suggestion is to add a notice or flag on every auto-split transaction and a hyperlink to the "Payee & Rules" window so people aren't confused and stuck having to manually re-enter and re-balance every one of their auto-split transcations. I do realize there is a small prompt saying "do you want to make this an auto-split" when you first edit a transaction for a payee, but for someone who is quickly recategorizing dozens of transactions, it can be easily missed.

    I realize it's a new feature and will still probably continue to be tweaked so my apologies for the negative nature of my post. I appreciate the desire to increase efficiency and continually update the software.

    Thanks,
    Logan
Sign In or Register to comment.