Home Quicken for Mac Product Releases and Announcements: Mac

Quicken for Mac v5.14 Released

Comments

• Quicken MarcusQuicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    noramar said:
    I noticed that the previous update introduced something I didn't like, but it didn't bother me too much. I have a scheduled transaction for my weekly groceries, but I don't shop every week at the same place. I noticed that future weeks were changing to my latest one. With today's update, when I changed today's grocery payee it didn't remember that payee at all to begin with, and now it changed ALL of my previous grocery bills going back to the beginning of time to that payee. How can I fix this, or can I fix it at all? This is terrible! I have no way of knowing for sure where I shopped in the past!
    First off, you should try to undo the last action by using CMD+Z.  Try that first?  If that doesn't work then go back to a backup version. 

I think I would need more specific details regarding what happened to fully grasp the issue.  Ideally if you had steps that might help.  What I'm confused about is that scheduled transactions just follow the model you define so I don't really understand how a payee wouldn't be remembered unless it was converted to a real transaction and not a scheduled transaction instance and I guess I would also need to understand if you're downloading transactions.

In regards to a payee getting changed in past transaction, I think this can only happen in a few ways.
    1) The most likely issue is that over the Payee there is a checkbox that asks if you want to change only future transactions or existing and future transactions.  If you select existing transactions, then we will change your previous transactions.
    2) Typically this is only done by changing a Payee Name.  So anything that used this Payee before would now get this new Payee name. This is a feature that has always been part of the new Quicken Mac and isn't really something new.  We always had a checkbox above the Payee to do this.  

In the future, make sure you change the item above the Payee to be only Future transactions.  This simply creates a rule that will be used when downloading transactions and will leave your Payees unchanged. You can also uncheck that checkbox and it also won't create a rule or change existing transactions.
    jacobs said:
    @Quicken Marcus  FYI, we see lots of posts from users on this site from users thinking they can't configure their scheduled transactions the way they need, because the default is to hide the configuration options. I know you said you hid them by default to reduce user confusion, but from what I've seen here, you created confusion by requiring users to notice and click the mysterious little triangle that opens up the additional scheduling options. In my opinion, the options aren't so overwhelming that having them visible should cause many users problems, and my sense is that it would be better if you got rid of the triangle and just left those three additional lines visible all the time.
    You might be right. We have had a lot of discussions about this already and even have a new design we could implement that should make this better. I'll try to find some time to look at our analytics data to see if I can gather more data to help prioritize the need.  Thanks for making this point and putting it back on my radar.
    RickO said:
    John, You screenshot is for a Summary or Comparison report in 5.13. The Advanced tab was added to those two report (but not the Transaction report) in 5.13. If you create a Transaction report from scratch, you'll see the Advanced tab is not present.

That said, there seems to be a bug in 5.13 where if you change an existing Summary or Comparison report to a Transaction report, the Advanced tab remains in the customization options. (It should not in 5.13) I don't know if when you do that it actually functions. I would guess not. But doesn't really matter once 5.14 is out and about.
    RickO is right. In 5.13 we added the Advanced tab to handle transfers and removed Transfers from the category picker in both Summary and Comparison reports.  This was fine if there was an Advanced tab but unfortunately there wasn't an advanced tab for Payee or Tag reports. In 5.14, the Advanced tab is turned on for all types of reports.
  • ConcordmanConcordman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well I guess the cloud was a bit murky; I note the capital One download gave no errors but after several attempts observed that the last update time did not update, tried this on other accounts & the time stamp is updated.
  • John_MJohn_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to both you and RickO for the explanation. I didn't notice transfers were missing for Transaction reports, but I am very glad that you added them to Summary and Comparison reports in 5.13. It was a big improvement for me.
    Ray Smith said:
    When will Quicken create a feature that sends me an alert when I'm close to or going over my budget amount for each category? I'm surprised this isn't already available. For example, I would like to have it alert me when I'm close to going over my food budget or entertainment budget. Part of this feature is that my account would sync new transactions automatically each day instead of having to open my app to sync.
    Great idea.  Let me bring this up to the right people.
  • Doug BlakeleyDoug Blakeley Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Marcus ... not sure what is going wrong on my end but I went through the 5.14 upgrade process again. Last night it was attributed to your Connect server but it appears that nobody else had issues with the upgrade process.

After upgrade to 5.14, restart, and database upgrade I received the attached screen shot. Have submitted problem reports. Fortunately made update of Quicken as well as database so I was able to roll back to 5.13.3 and compatible database.
  • ConcordmanConcordman Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Doug Blakeley..good thinking on keeping the previous version of the software!
    @Quicken Marcus ... not sure what is going wrong on my end but I went through the 5.14 upgrade process again. Last night it was attributed to your Connect server but it appears that nobody else had issues with the upgrade process.

After upgrade to 5.14, restart, and database upgrade I received the attached screen shot. Have submitted problem reports. Fortunately made update of Quicken as well as database so I was able to roll back to 5.13.3 and compatible database.
    Doug, we added this dialog for those people who run Quicken from Dropbox or other cloud storage services so they can be warned when the file might be open on another computer.  Basically when you open a file, we put a temporary tag file in your Quicken file that tells us the computer you're on and the date/time it was opened.  When you close your file, it deletes this tag file.  If we open your file and detect that this tag file still exists, we display the message you're seeing.  It's just a warning. What happens when you click Open Anyway?  If you haven't tried, please give it a try if you're sure the file isn't open on any other computer.  If you're not using Dropbox or some other cloud storage service then this could appear if you crashed the last time you used the app.  
    edited January 17
    John_M said:
    Thanks to both you and RickO for the explanation. I didn't notice transfers were missing for Transaction reports, but I am very glad that you added them to Summary and Comparison reports in 5.13. It was a big improvement for me.
    Actually to be clear, transfers were still available for transaction reports and worked exactly as they did in 5.12.  The Transfer category was missing for Payee and Tag Summary and Comparison reports which prevented one from being able to control whether to display them or not.
  • Doug BlakeleyDoug Blakeley Member ✭✭
    edited January 17
    > @Quicken Marcus said:
    > (Quote)
    > Doug, we added this dialog for those people who run Quicken from Dropbox or other cloud storage services so they can be warned when the file might be open on another computer.  Basically when you open a file, we put a temporary tag file in your Quicken file that tells us the computer you're on and the date/time it was opened.  When you close your file, it deletes this tag file.  If we open your file and detect that this tag file still exists, we display the message you're seeing.  It's just a warning. What happens when you click Open Anyway?  If you haven't tried, please give it a try if you're sure the file isn't open on any other computer.  If you're not using Dropbox or some other cloud storage service then this could appear if you crashed the last time you used the app.  

Using Apple iCloud. At the time I did try clicking on Open Anyway and received the attached message. Just tried moving a copy of the file to my desktop and open with 5.14. No go. Rereading your description the file the I copied is carrying the "cloud" flag and until it is opened it is not cleared. As it won't open it won't clear.

I tried opening a copy of my data in 15.13.3, used File/Move to place a copy on my desktop thinking this would clear the flag. Opened with 15.14 and end up with the same series of errors. This flag seems to not just be saved in the file but also in the Quicken settings on my Mac as going back to 15.13.3 is not a clean process.

Understanding this new "feature" and my use of iCloud I really should not be upgrading until this change is rethought by the Quicken team. Just can't risk losing my data file even though I am making sure that I am using backups.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Doug, we added this dialog for those people who run Quicken from Dropbox or other cloud storage services so they can be warned when the file might be open on another computer.  Basically when you open a file, we put a temporary tag file in your Quicken file that tells us the computer you're on and the date/time it was opened.  When you close your file, it deletes this tag file.  If we open your file and detect that this tag file still exists, we display the message you're seeing.  It's just a warning. What happens when you click Open Anyway?  If you haven't tried, please give it a try if you're sure the file isn't open on any other computer.  If you're not using Dropbox or some other cloud storage service then this could appear if you crashed the last time you used the app.  

@Quicken Marcus are you saying that Quicken now officially supports the ability to store and use your main data file on cloud services like Dropbox?

> @Quicken Marcus said:
    > (Quote)
    > Doug, we added this dialog for those people who run Quicken from Dropbox or other cloud storage services so they can be warned when the file might be open on another computer.  Basically when you open a file, we put a temporary tag file in your Quicken file that tells us the computer you're on and the date/time it was opened.  When you close your file, it deletes this tag file.  If we open your file and detect that this tag file still exists, we display the message you're seeing.  It's just a warning. What happens when you click Open Anyway?  If you haven't tried, please give it a try if you're sure the file isn't open on any other computer.  If you're not using Dropbox or some other cloud storage service then this could appear if you crashed the last time you used the app.  

Using Apple iCloud. At the time I did try clicking on Open Anyway and received the attached message. Just tried moving a copy of the file to my desktop and open with 5.14. No go. Rereading your description the file the I copied is carrying the "cloud" flag and until it is opened it is not cleared. As it won't open it won't clear.

I tried opening a copy of my data in 15.13.3, used File/Move to place a copy on my desktop thinking this would clear the flag. Opened with 15.14 and end up with the same series of errors. This flag seems to not just be saved in the file but also in the Quicken settings on my Mac as going back to 15.13.3 is not a clean process.

Understanding this new "feature" and my use of iCloud I really should not be upgrading until this change is rethought by the Quicken team. Just can't risk losing my data file even though I am making sure that I am using backups.
    Doug, I don't think the issue you're running into has anything to do with 5.14.  The Dropbox dialog you originally ran across is not new.  We added that about a year ago.

There could be 2 things that are causing this problem. 1) Some cloud services put hidden locks on the individual files in the Quicken file.  These are called Access-Control List (ACL) permissions. You can't set these by the MacOS UX.  You have to use Terminal or of course it can be done programmatically by the cloud service software.  What we've observed is that when we try to do a file migration and replace our database, Quicken can't because there is an ACL set so we can't delete the database and then the file fails to open because we can't do the database swap. Sometimes zipping up the file and re-opening it can remove these permissions allowing the file to open.  2) The file could be corrupted by the database being updated by a cloud service from one computer while the file was open on another. I don't think there is anyway to recover from this.

Quite honestly I would say the easiest thing would be to simply open a backup file.   

smayer97 asks if we support running the Quicken file in a Dropbox folder and the answer is that people should do this with the understanding of the issues they may run into.  We made it better to help you run without issue by providing that dialog to tell you if the file may be open on another computer but clearly there can still be problems.  
  • jsurplessjsurpless Member ✭✭
    edited January 17
    I was trying to look at the new time interval under Transaction Reports and now I am unable to select a specific report, as it crashes Quicken every time I access it. How can I delete that report if I can't select it?

**** Update ****

Nevermind, I restored from a backup and things seem to be OK now
    jsurpless said:
    I was trying to look at the new time interval under Transaction Reports and now I am unable to select a specific report, as it crashes Quicken every time I access it. How can I delete that report if I can't select it?
    jsurpless, I can see your crash in our system and it looks like 9 other people are also hitting the same crash. We've already identified this as a top issue for us to investigate on Tuesday when the team is back in the office. I'm sorry we missed this but we'll get it fixed as soon as we can.
  • danloehrdanloehr Member ✭✭
    Why did 5.14 forget the amounts in my repeat transactions? Is there a way I can make it remember the amounts used in the previous transaction, the way it used to work? (Without having to manually go into QuickFill for each one?). I have a lot of different transactions, many of them with long splits, and I don't want to have to set up QuickFill for each one, when it always used to remember the transaction amounts (including in splits) automatically.
  • jemmogjemmog Member
    I updated to 5.14. I was able to download from my accounts but the transactions that have downloaded since the update, do not show up in the reports. Or they show up with $0.00 amount.
  • szzzszzz Member ✭✭
    edited January 17
    I was attempting to move my quick mac Version 5.13.3 window,
    when it jumped to 9/10ths of my laptop screen?
    when attempting to pull it back from right, I only get a 1 way
    arrow to make it larger?

how do I return quicken to the size window that has been
    native for last 3 years?

• louharrisonlouharrison Member ✭✭
    edited January 18
    I try to install, it goes through all the motions and seems like it's installing the new version, and then when Quicken restarts, it's 5.13 again with the "A new version" window open. Groundhog day...
  • hyperstockhyperstock Member ✭✭
    Just updated my Software with your recent release. All the transactions that have been downloaded after this update now do not show up in any of my existing saved reports. None of them!!! i have to duplicate a previous transaction prior to the recent software update and modify the amount to the current transaction in order for it to show up on reports. Whats going on????!!
  • hyperstockhyperstock Member ✭✭
    I would like to clarify my previous post regarding the downloads and missing on existing reports . I am certain it is due to the recent changes made to categories and tags as quick fills
  • 1) Simple transactions, like -250 for my dentist, don't show up on my 'this month' income/expense report.

2) The prior-year number on the same report is wildly different from what it was yesterday.

3) the process of recognizing paired transactions (credit card payment vs checking account) doesn't work: the pair is not recognized like it used to be, the matching transfer categories are not auto entered as they used to be, a new transaction is created with a 0 amount.
  • David PowersDavid Powers Member ✭✭
    I have been waiting so long for this new QuickFill feature on categories! Thank you!
  • noramarnoramar Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Marcus said:
    > (Quote)
    > I think I would need more specific details regarding what happened to fully
    >grasp the issue.  Ideally if you had steps that might help.  What I'm confused
    >about is that scheduled transactions just follow the model you define so I don't
    >really understand how a payee wouldn't be remembered unless it was
    >converted to a real transaction and not a scheduled transaction instance and I
    >guess I would also need to understand if you're downloading transactions.

Well, if I had known this was going to screw everything up, I would have made sure I documented my steps. So instead, I'll tell you how I use this specific scheduled transaction, which is the only one where the payee changes each time. Also, I only download transactions for reconciling purposes. I'm old school and enter everything manually. For scheduled transactions, I mark them as paid and change the specific fields that are different. So here's how my weekly groceries scheduled transaction works:

1. I set up the scheduled transaction about two years ago. The only thing I've changed since is the weekly amount. The payee is really just a placeholder. I always change the payee, since I cycle between three local grocery stores. I really don't want three separate weekly transactions for the three possible different payees. And, what if I decide to shop at a whole different grocery shop that week? So, yes, of course it it remembers the payee. I don't have a problem with that. I just want to be able to change it after I mark it as paid without affecting any past or future transactions.

2. Once a week, I buy groceries. So then I go to that weekly scheduled transaction and mark it as paid, change the payee, the amount, and the splits.

3. About a month ago, maybe longer, there was an update rollout. After this rollout, I noticed that when I changed the payee for a weekly grocery run (after marking the scheduled transaction as paid), the payee changed for all future scheduled transactions. This was just a very minor annoyance because I'm just going to change the payee when it comes time to my next grocery run anyway, so big deal.

4. And then came this week's update rollout and I just about died when I saw that, no longer just future scheduled transaction, but ALL past transactions had changed the payee to my last payee. That is just not acceptable, as I can never get an accurate payee report this way.

For now, I have a workaround. What I'll need to do until this is fixed (IF it is fixed) is always choose to skip the next occurrence of the scheduled transaction and enter a manual transaction instead. Or mark it as paid and delete it. Then enter a manual transaction. Also, I was able to go back to December and January and change the payees to the correct ones, some of them from memory and some from looking at my transactions online. Well, actually, I had to delete the existing transaction and enter a new manual transaction.

In my opinion, the payee "improvements" introduced in this week's update were neither necessary nor useful. At the very least, they should be an option in settings. Seeing as it screwed up the way I use scheduled transactions (well, one particular scheduled transaction), a setting to allow this behavior or not would have been welcome.

Nora
  • Bob GBob G Member ✭✭
    I have a different (and very serious) problem on Mac; just updated to latest build 514.31804.100. I use "Export" on reports via clipboard to paste info into Excel and then can manage reporting as I want. Except .... this release has COMPLETELY upended the stored reports I have created, from which I export. I have not got to the bottom of it all, but fundamentally, my reports would list transaction by category. Now, it lists a few, but lumps most under a general TRANSFER heading (yes, many of mine involve use of TRANSFER, but that has never been an issue up til now), completely messing up my ability to pull my info by category.

This next bit may be a complete coincidence (and does not excuse whatever has just happened on Mac), but I just switched from 1/1/2020 to using Q. for Windows (for lots of reasons, but whatever ...). My biggest disappointment with that was the lack of functionality of the TRANSFER feature in Mac. It simply does not exist in Windows, and if you want a transaction on (say) your credit card to also show in another (TRANSFER) account, like an Account Receivable, you have to copy the transaction and paste it into your AR account, or create it in the AR from scratch. As I said, maybe a coincidence .. or the conspiracy theorist in me is wondering if the back-room boys (and girls) have been messing about in the Mac version and in some way cause the same lack of functionality.
  • d3rendond3rendon Member ✭✭
    edited January 18

Transactions appearing in reports with zero $ amount

Yesterday I updated to Quicken for Mac, Version 5.14.0 (Build 514.31804.100).

Then I downloaded some transactions from my credit card company. The transactions showed up OK in the account register. But when I went to look at a report that included those transactions, the amounts were zero. When I clicked on the transaction in the report, it correctly opened a window with the credit card register and took me to that transaction.
    The transaction amount was correct. It was only in the report that it incorrectly showed a zero amount.

It seems to be just those recently downloaded transactions (but not all of them) and they are only incorrect in the report. I created a new report and it too showed those transactions with zero amount.

If I edit the offending transaction and change the amount to another value, then change it back to the downloaded amount, the transaction amount is then OK in the report.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Using Quicken Deluxe 2020 for Mac
    Version 5.14.0 (Build 514.31804.100
    macOS 10.14.6
  • I am having the same issue.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bob G I'm a little confused: your first paragraph is about the latest release of Quicken Mac, but your second paragraph says you've switched to Quicken Windows. I'm just guessing that you need Quicken Mac for your 2019 reports, and then you're on to Quicken Windows for 2020?

Since this thread is specifically for Quicken Mac, I'd suggest you create a new post in a Windows category regarding your questions about Quicken Windows. You certainly can do transfers in Quicken Windows, but I'm a Mac users and can't address the fine points of transfers in the Windows products here.

Regarding Quicken Mac and transfers in reports: yes, the developers have been making changes, as explained in the release notes for version 5.13 in the fall and the just-released version 5.14. They have actually made the reports much more powerful, because users can now control which transfers they want to see in reports or not -- a capability which didn't exist previously. However, this means that some users who had developed work-arounds for the previous limitations may need to update or re-create some reports.

Generally speaking, transfers are a flow of funds between two accounts, which is neither income nor expense. For instance, when you make charges on a credit card, each transaction gets recorded in a credit card account, and each transaction has one or more categories for the expense(s). When you pay your credit card bill, you transfer money from your bank account to your credit account; that payment decreases your bank balance and decreases your credit card account balance, but is not an expense (since the expenses were registered when you previously entered the individual transactions in the credit card account).

Some users took advantage of a "feature" (I think of it more as a loophole) in Quicken Mac which in some cases allowed a transfer to also have an expense category. This isn't correct accounting-wise, but it worked around the previous limitation of not being able to include transfers in expense reports. For instance, if you paid a monthly loan, with a split between interest expense and payment of principal, the payment of principal -- a transfer to reduce your loan balance -- was typically invisible on reports that showed expenses. From an accounting standpoint, paying down the loan balance isn't an expense -- it's a transfer from an asset (checking) to a liability (loan) account. But some Quicken users wanted to see that loan payment as an expense, because the outflow of money feels like a monthly expense.

With the changes implemented in version 5.13 and 5.14, when you use any of the Create Report options, the Advanced tab allows you to control whether or which transfers you see on the report. Used in combination with selecting which Accounts are used in the report, users should be able to get what they want (which may be different for different users) in a report.

If you're using the old Category Summary report, I'd strongly recommend not using that at all anymore. It's an old report which is a carryover from the predecessor 2010-era Quicken Essentials product, it hasn't been updated with all the features of the new reports engine, and it is known to have bugs which sometimes cause incomplete data in the reports. I'm hoping the developers will remove Category summary from the Reports menu in the near future, since it causes more problems and confusion than it helps nowadays. Instead, explore the options you have with the three types of Create Report options on the Report menu.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jmbrocksjmbrocks Member ✭✭
    Matching transfer transactions now broken on Version 5.14.0 (Build 514.31804.100).
    When changing the Category for a transaction in one bank account and selecting the matching account where the transfer went to, Quicken creates a line item in the destination account, but only place 0.00 as the dollar amount and not the correct dollar amount. Also, even if the matching transfer transaction appears already in the destination account, Quicken does not find. the matching transaction.
  • dgsimmdgsimm Member
    Quicken Marcus, I am having same problem as jsurpless:

You should see numerous crashes for me on 01/18/20. Please investigate and correct.