Quicken for Mac v5.14 Released

Comments

• Bob GBob G Member ✭✭
    In reply to Jacobs ....

Thanks for the lengthy reply. You are correct re 2109 and before being Mac, and 2020 Windows. I don;t need to go to that thread as the comment was a throw-away ... but seems like it was at least partly on point ...

... because, as I think you concurred, this latest release busted what I had spent a long time building; whether you consider it a work around or otherwise, i was able that way to get reports summing in a way I want and laid out in a way I want. I was OK with that.

I think your ref to 5.13 also answered something I had queries on a phone call but never got a satisfactory response other than suggesting my failure to back up my quicken file was the problem which had got corrupted. The issue was that my reports started having problems around time of 5.13 (or, say, a couple of months back if I am referring to a wrong version) and that TRANSFER was (seemingly) working but losing something / linkage in the process such that my reports were again screwed up (this was what I was advised was corruption in my file). Not as bad as this time and I managed a further set of edits to my report to deal with this, but annoying and time consuming. And, I had backed up my quicken file, I do regularly, but rolling back meant I would have had to recategorize loads of entries over the prior weeks or months. No thanks.

Now, there is a complete bust ... all I can say is thankfully I have exported pretty much all I want to excel files for my 2019 accounts, so I am surviveable (and on a different trajectory for 2020). But, I wonder about other poor souls who have just had the rug pulled completely out from under them ...

Lastly, on your accounting lecture ... I used my example on my credit card because the transfers I used were asset or liability accounts (as between bank and credit card accounts if Mac sees the same transaction in two accounts, such as bank paying credit card, it does (or did) the linking). Money spent on my credit card was by or for account of others, so I created (for example) AR account for that person, categorized it for the spending category AND did a TRANSFER to that AR account, until such time as (for example) payment from that person was received in my bank account and I could then also do a transfer from my bank account to that AR account to cancel out (running total in the account) the amount accumulated from the credit card. It worked well.

If I had stayed on Mac version, not sure what I would be doing going forward on this ... probably creating a Tag I could manage through a report rather than an asset account .. .pretty much what I think I have to do on Windows version, unless I also want to create the asset account but manually intervene to copy the relevant debits and credits into/out of it. However, that is for another thread ...

Motto ... let's not confuse change with progress ... as the old adage goes .... if it ain't broke, don't fix it .....
  • Doug BlakeleyDoug Blakeley Member ✭✭
    edited January 18
    > @Quicken Marcus said:
    > (Quote)
    > Doug, I don't think the issue you're running into has anything to do with 5.14.  The Dropbox dialog you originally ran across is not new.  We added that about a year ago.
    >
    > There could be 2 things that are causing this problem. 1) Some cloud services put hidden locks on the individual files in the Quicken file.  These are called Access-Control List (ACL) permissions. You can't set these by the MacOS UX.  You have to use Terminal or of course it can be done programmatically by the cloud service software.  What we've observed is that when we try to do a file migration and replace our database, Quicken can't because there is an ACL set so we can't delete the database and then the file fails to open because we can't do the database swap. Sometimes zipping up the file and re-opening it can remove these permissions allowing the file to open.  2) The file could be corrupted by the database being updated by a cloud service from one computer while the file was open on another. I don't think there is anyway to recover from this.
    >
    > Quite honestly I would say the easiest thing would be to simply open a backup file.   
    >
    > smayer97 asks if we support running the Quicken file in a Dropbox folder and the answer is that people should do this with the understanding of the issues they may run into.  We made it better to help you run without issue by providing that dialog to tell you if the file may be open on another computer but clearly there can still be problems.  

Pretty much at a loss to migrate my data file to QM 15.14:
    - Tried opening a backup file which was created on local disk, not cloud service, and still no luck. Output file was created on Desktop. Same response with not being able to open file and Quicken being out of date although 5.14 is reported.
    - Moved data file from iCloud to OneDrive ... no change
    - Zipped file, moved Zip to Desktop, unzipped ... no change
    - Investigated removing ACL on Mac files. Used chmod -N "data file" through terminal ... no change

For now stuck with 15.13.3 ... any additional suggestions? Error messages attached for reference.
  • hyperstockhyperstock Member ✭✭
    edited January 18

Quick fill transactions missing in reports

Just updated my Mac software to the latest release. After doing so , I downloaded my daily transaction. I noticed that some of these transaction have used the new quick fill feature. I have existing saved reports I review daily. The new downloaded transactions after I updated the software do not appear o. The reports anymore. I assumed it was due to the new category and quick fill changes. I took last months transaction that is similar to the transactions that were just downloaded and duplicated it and just changed the date and amount to match the transactions that were just downloaded and then deleted the recent downloaded transactions and they magically appeared in the reports as they should. But now they are considered manual transactions. I do not want to do this going forward. Quicken help.
  • CalgaryCalgary Member
    edited January 18

Update to Quicken Version 5.14.0 & Reports don't work now

Without thinking about it I just updated to the latest version of Quicken & that is turning out to be a mistake. None of my custom reports work now, they are excluding several categories. The actual Quicken reports have the categories showing up but with most of the transactions show as a zero value. I've been trying to contact the online chat support but they are non-responsive? Anyone else have this issue? Any fixes?
  • DennyDenny Member ✭✭
    edited January 18

Delete an aberrant report

When trying to customize a report (by adding a Time parameter to the report) Quicken crashed. After re-opening Quicken and clicking on that report, Quicken again crashed. Is there a way to delete the report without first clicking on it? I'm using the recently released version 5.14.0.
  • LindaAHoweLindaAHowe Member
    I am having the same issue
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18
    d3rendon said:

Transactions appearing in reports with zero $ amount

Yesterday I updated to Quicken for Mac, Version 5.14.0 (Build 514.31804.100).

Then I downloaded some transactions from my credit card company. The transactions showed up OK in the account register. But when I went to look at a report that included those transactions, the amounts were zero. When I clicked on the transaction in the report, it correctly opened a window with the credit card register and took me to that transaction.
    The transaction amount was correct. It was only in the report that it incorrectly showed a zero amount.

It seems to be just those recently downloaded transactions (but not all of them) and they are only incorrect in the report. I created a new report and it too showed those transactions with zero amount.

If I edit the offending transaction and change the amount to another value, then change it back to the downloaded amount, the transaction amount is then OK in the report.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Using Quicken Deluxe 2020 for Mac
    Version 5.14.0 (Build 514.31804.100
    macOS 10.14.6

This seems to be a common problem in 5.14. Note that the availability of 5.14 has been stopped (due to another bug).

Since data does not seem to be affected, you could wait for a fix. Alternatively, if you are able, go back to 5.13 until this is fixed (app should be in your Trash or if you use Time Machine or other backup); you should be able to retrieve it.

NOTE: You may also have to revert to a back up of your data file for this, since there is an internal change to the data base to handle the new Quick Fill feature, so you may not be able to use your data file that has been updated to 5.14.

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian Q user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• rio granderio grande Member ✭✭
    edited January 18

Quicken crashes after modifying a report

I updated to Quicken/Mac 5.14 yesterday. (Running Mohave 10.14.6 on an iMac)
    Today I made a small modification to an existing report (don't recall exactly what, but possibly just changed from a Summary to a Transaction report). Now Quicken crashes whenever I run that report. All other reports still working ok. There doesn't seem to be any way to delete the report, w/o opening it. Spent a couple hours on a chat rebuilding from an export, but no luck.
    Until I hear a resolution, I'm going to duplicate any report before modifying it.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

? Add your vote here:

(

• In this latest release, when I enter a new transaction manually, the memo and amount fields are not being filled in with the same values as the last time I entered the same transaction. Is this supposed to happen now? It is really inconvenient to have to input the memo and values for every monthly transaction I do now. I don't download my transactions, I do them all manually. Everything worked fine in this regard prior to this release.
  • pamela77pamela77 Member ✭✭
    I have not yet converted to the new version. Is it best for me to wait until these various bugs are worked out before going to the newer version? Thank you.
    edited January 18
    In this latest release, when I enter a new transaction manually, the memo and amount fields are not being filled in with the same values as the last time I entered the same transaction. Is this supposed to happen now? It is really inconvenient to have to input the memo and values for every monthly transaction I do now. I don't download my transactions, I do them all manually. Everything worked fine in this regard prior to this release.
    I suspect the way entries work now is they draw from the QuickFill list and that list is not auto-populated on first use. I suspect it will work properly as you enter new transactions and the QuickFill list gets repopulated.

The challenge becomes that if Quicken implemented a starting point other than a blank list, what options are there? Populate it with all the Payees (that would be no worse that what you have now BUT would be a major clean-up job for some who want to linite the contents of the QuickFill list.).

And ifon data entry they draw data from the Payee list also (as it does in 5.13 and earlier), does that not defeat the purpose of the QuickFill list?

Maybe Quicken could offer users the option to auto-populate the QuickFill list with all payees?

? Add your vote here:

(

pamela77 said:
    I have not yet converted to the new version. Is it best for me to wait until these various bugs are worked out before going to the newer version? Thank you.
    Quicken has stopped availability to the 5.14 update because of a crashing bug. So even if you are offered the upgrade, you will not be able to get it. Even if you were, I would suggest waiting given this bug that is affecting at least some users.

? Add your vote here:

(

• crh6301crh6301 Member ✭✭
    Updated to latest release. Now, all my AMEX transaction since upgrade will not show up on my Category Summary report. Dates are correct and the account is selected. Transactions from other accounts are working. Reset connection. Any thoughts?
    Read the notes from others above for ideas that might be affecting you. Sounds similar.

? Add your vote here:

(

edited January 19
    > @smayer97 said:
    > Read the notes from others above for ideas that might be affecting you. Sounds similar.

[removed - violation of Community Guidelines]
  • JP SmithersJP Smithers Member ✭✭
    I have this same problem since the Mac upgrade

> @jmbrocks said:
    > Matching transfer transactions now broken on Version 5.14.0 (Build 514.31804.100).
    > When changing the Category for a transaction in one bank account and selecting the matching account where the transfer went to, Quicken creates a line item in the destination account, but only place 0.00 as the dollar amount and not the correct dollar amount. Also, even if the matching transfer transaction appears already in the destination account, Quicken does not find. the matching transaction.
  • bholdbhold Member
    "$0.00" in v5.14 Mac

The most recent transactions in many of the categories in reports show as $0.00 even through the corresponding transactions show correctly in the register with the proper amounts.

Presumably this will be hot fixed ASAP?
    Well at least the moderators are functional even if their software that we pay for is not. LOL. The thread does not contain specific references to transaction failures as I described so advice to read up thread is useless. Period.

To help those on the boards, the problem with transactions downloading but nor appearing on reports such as Category self corrected for me today.

AMEX transactions downloaded and were tagged to an un - categorized status. After categorization, the appeared in reports. Oddly, all other accounts had this same issue that did not before. After re establishing a new connection, they too started to function correctly.

This points to a back-end transaction processing issue/mismatch to this release as the problem resolved without a new release. Evidently Quicken struggles with end to end testing of tran processing to a version as I have seen this before with this vendor. They may be solving some of the issues through their transaction processor. Some still may be software release based.

This is an example of more helpful information then referring people to read up a thread.

Hope your app issues get cleared up soon. No excuse for this type of poor release testing imo.
  • SalsabyJakeSalsabyJake Member
    I updated to Quicken 5.14.0 (shows as latest) on my Mac running Mojave 10.14.6 and while it seemingly runs smoothly, it does not show transactions in a Category Report past August! Very frustrated. I see transactions in a category throughout the year, but the report is incomplete (date set 1/1 to 21/31/19). Need this fixed to work on taxes. I had some lapses in downloads since I had not used Quicken for more than 3 months and had to fill in gaps manually or with QFX files from bank. Otherwise, everything seems normal except the reports.
  • osdiazosdiaz Member ✭✭
    I'm now on Version 5.14.0 (Build 514.31804.100) that was offered late last week for install. I run macOS 10.14.6.

I observed the same issues with reports mentioned above, application crashing when trying to customize a report, etc. First time the application crashed after changing a report I got into a state where the application wouldn't start without crashing. I managed to restore the date file from a previous backup to get out of that loop. Transactions that have been downloaded from a banking institution are not getting used by a report correctly. The amounts for those transactions become $0.00.

I recommend to not install this update until Quicken offers all the fixes.
  • osdiazosdiaz Member ✭✭
    To clarify, the transactions that appear as $0.00 in the reports were downloaded after the upgrade to 5.14.0.
  • Quicken MarcusQuicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    noramar said:

4. And then came this week's update rollout and I just about died when I saw that, no longer just future scheduled transaction, but ALL past transactions had changed the payee to my last payee. That is just not acceptable, as I can never get an accurate payee report this way.

Nora
    Thank you for the detailed steps.  Like I said, nothing changed in 5.14, the most recent update, with regards to Payees in the register.  As in all pervious versions of Quicken Mac, there is a checkbox that appears over the payee in the register that allows you to update the payee name in all existing transactions using the same Payee name. In 5.13, the last release, we change this slightly.  There is still a checkbox but there are now 2 options: 1) Always rename future transactions and 2) Always rename existing and future transactions.  By default, it's set to "future only" and will never update existing transactions.  If you change this setting by clicking on the down arrow to "existing and future" then it will change your previous transactions.  This now has the same functionality as the checkbox has always had in all pervious versions of Quicken Mac since 2015. It sounds like this setting was changed at some point in your register and it also sounds like you have this checkbox checked. To stop doing this, either switch the setting back to "future" transactions by clicking on the down arrow and going back to the default or simply uncheck the checkbox.

szzz said:
    I was attempting to move my quick mac Version 5.13.3 window,
    when it jumped to 9/10ths of my laptop screen?
    when attempting to pull it back from right, I only get a 1 way
    arrow to make it larger?

how do I return quicken to the size window that has been
    native for last 3 years?

We'll look into this. I think it changed because the report toolbar got more complex and the buttons started overlapping at smaller sizes.  Ideally are you trying to make it fit in half the screen?
    I try to install, it goes through all the motions and seems like it's installing the new version, and then when Quicken restarts, it's 5.13 again with the "A new version" window open. Groundhog day...
    It sounds like our Update software is failing to overwrite the app for some reason.  I think the best way around this is to just download a new version of the app.  You can do this by following these steps:
    1) Go to the menu item Quicken : My Quicken Account.
    2) In the My Account window, click on Download for Mac.
    3) Go to your applications folder and delete Quicken.
    4) Launch the download installer and double click. This will download the latest version and install in your applications folder.
    dgsimm said:
    Quicken Marcus, I am having same problem as jsurpless:

I was trying to look at the new time interval under Transaction Reports and now I am unable to select a specific report, as it crashes Quicken every time I access it. How can I delete that report if I can't select it?

You should see numerous crashes for me on 01/18/20. Please investigate and correct.
    You're right. I see 7 crashes. Sorry about that. Yes this will be the top thing we investigate on Tuesday. We're up to 51 people who have hit the same report crash.
  • Rich AugustRich August Member ✭✭
    One additional glitch... When paying bills this afternoon using the new 5.14 release, I found that when typing in the Payee for an online payment, the drop-down list no longer separates and highlights those Payees configured for online Bill Pay. This is an issue, because I have may similar looking Payees in my list, with only one typically enabled for Bill Pay. The Online Payees used to appear on top of the pull-down in a separate section. Now, there's no way to tell which of the similar payees in the drop-down is the one configured for online Bill Pay. Please restore this feature. It took me much longer to pay bills today because of this missing feature.
    d3rendon said:

Transactions appearing in reports with zero $ amount

Yesterday I updated to Quicken for Mac, Version 5.14.0 (Build 514.31804.100).

Then I downloaded some transactions from my credit card company. The transactions showed up OK in the account register. But when I went to look at a report that included those transactions, the amounts were zero. When I clicked on the transaction in the report, it correctly opened a window with the credit card register and took me to that transaction.
    The transaction amount was correct. It was only in the report that it incorrectly showed a zero amount.

It seems to be just those recently downloaded transactions (but not all of them) and they are only incorrect in the report. I created a new report and it too showed those transactions with zero amount.

If I edit the offending transaction and change the amount to another value, then change it back to the downloaded amount, the transaction amount is then OK in the report.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Using Quicken Deluxe 2020 for Mac
    Version 5.14.0 (Build 514.31804.100
    macOS 10.14.6
    I am having the same issue.
    jemmog said:
    I updated to 5.14. I was able to download from my accounts but the transactions that have downloaded since the update, do not show up in the reports. Or they show up with $0.00 amount.
    Just updated my Software with your recent release. All the transactions that have been downloaded after this update now do not show up in any of my existing saved reports. None of them!!! i have to duplicate a previous transaction prior to the recent software update and modify the amount to the current transaction in order for it to show up on reports. Whats going on????!!
    I would like to clarify my previous post regarding the downloads and missing on existing reports . I am certain it is due to the recent changes made to categories and tags as quick fills
    1) Simple transactions, like -250 for my dentist, don't show up on my 'this month' income/expense report.

2) The prior-year number on the same report is wildly different from what it was yesterday.

3) the process of recognizing paired transactions (credit card payment vs checking account) doesn't work: the pair is not recognized like it used to be, the matching transfer categories are not auto entered as they used to be, a new transaction is created with a 0 amount.
    It sounds like several people are seeing an issue where reports are showing a 0 value for recent transactions.  I'm not able to reproduce this so I think we'll need to get a little more information to be able to reproduce this and fix it.  Are these splits by any chance? Are they Transfers? Are all recent transactions 0 or only some transactions? Can you see anything special about the ones that are 0?  Were they created from scheduled transactions? Any more detail regarding the transactions that are exhibiting this behavior would help us figure out the problem and fix. Thanks.
    Bob G said:
    I have a different (and very serious) problem on Mac; just updated to latest build 514.31804.100. I use "Export" on reports via clipboard to paste info into Excel and then can manage reporting as I want. Except .... this release has COMPLETELY upended the stored reports I have created, from which I export. I have not got to the bottom of it all, but fundamentally, my reports would list transaction by category. Now, it lists a few, but lumps most under a general TRANSFER heading (yes, many of mine involve use of TRANSFER, but that has never been an issue up til now), completely messing up my ability to pull my info by category.

This next bit may be a complete coincidence (and does not excuse whatever has just happened on Mac), but I just switched from 1/1/2020 to using Q. for Windows (for lots of reasons, but whatever ...). My biggest disappointment with that was the lack of functionality of the TRANSFER feature in Mac. It simply does not exist in Windows, and if you want a transaction on (say) your credit card to also show in another (TRANSFER) account, like an Account Receivable, you have to copy the transaction and paste it into your AR account, or create it in the AR from scratch. As I said, maybe a coincidence .. or the conspiracy theorist in me is wondering if the back-room boys (and girls) have been messing about in the Mac version and in some way cause the same lack of functionality.
    jacobs said:
    @Bob G I'm a little confused: your first paragraph is about the latest release of Quicken Mac, but your second paragraph says you've switched to Quicken Windows. I'm just guessing that you need Quicken Mac for your 2019 reports, and then you're on to Quicken Windows for 2020?

Since this thread is specifically for Quicken Mac, I'd suggest you create a new post in a Windows category regarding your questions about Quicken Windows. You certainly can do transfers in Quicken Windows, but I'm a Mac users and can't address the fine points of transfers in the Windows products here.

Regarding Quicken Mac and transfers in reports: yes, the developers have been making changes, as explained in the release notes for version 5.13 in the fall and the just-released version 5.14. They have actually made the reports much more powerful, because users can now control which transfers they want to see in reports or not -- a capability which didn't exist previously. However, this means that some users who had developed work-arounds for the previous limitations may need to update or re-create some reports.

Generally speaking, transfers are a flow of funds between two accounts, which is neither income nor expense. For instance, when you make charges on a credit card, each transaction gets recorded in a credit card account, and each transaction has one or more categories for the expense(s). When you pay your credit card bill, you transfer money from your bank account to your credit account; that payment decreases your bank balance and decreases your credit card account balance, but is not an expense (since the expenses were registered when you previously entered the individual transactions in the credit card account).

Some users took advantage of a "feature" (I think of it more as a loophole) in Quicken Mac which in some cases allowed a transfer to also have an expense category. This isn't correct accounting-wise, but it worked around the previous limitation of not being able to include transfers in expense reports. For instance, if you paid a monthly loan, with a split between interest expense and payment of principal, the payment of principal -- a transfer to reduce your loan balance -- was typically invisible on reports that showed expenses. From an accounting standpoint, paying down the loan balance isn't an expense -- it's a transfer from an asset (checking) to a liability (loan) account. But some Quicken users wanted to see that loan payment as an expense, because the outflow of money feels like a monthly expense.

With the changes implemented in version 5.13 and 5.14, when you use any of the Create Report options, the Advanced tab allows you to control whether or which transfers you see on the report. Used in combination with selecting which Accounts are used in the report, users should be able to get what they want (which may be different for different users) in a report.

If you're using the old Category Summary report, I'd strongly recommend not using that at all anymore. It's an old report which is a carryover from the predecessor 2010-era Quicken Essentials product, it hasn't been updated with all the features of the new reports engine, and it is known to have bugs which sometimes cause incomplete data in the reports. I'm hoping the developers will remove Category summary from the Reports menu in the near future, since it causes more problems and confusion than it helps nowadays. Instead, explore the options you have with the three types of Create Report options on the Report menu.
    Sorry for the above long quotes but wanted things in context...

I just wanted to agree and confirm with Jacobs. Our leadership team has decided that categories on transfers violates core accounting principals that our products should be based on and we are slowly removing this functionality from the Mac but haven't done it yet because we needed to add the advanced transfer, adjustment and cash flow capabilities we just added in 5.13 and 5.14.  We're now working on improving Transfer and mortgage payment support in budgets.  Once this is complete, we will start the process of removing the ability to add a category to a transfer.  Hopefully, the new features will continue to provide the reporting capabilities you need with possibly a slightly different organization structure.