Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

when reconciling, I cannot get the "difference" to go to zero

Comments

• RoryTug
    RoryTug Member
    I have the same problem and it is the program, not my reconciling. My wife is an accountant, there are no missed transactions it is the software. Let me explain:

Randomly, and with different accounts, The amount in the cleared Charges column on the left does not match the "cleared Balance" on the right. The difference is ALWAYS -29.75. It doesn't matter what account and it doesn't happen to all of them (YET). I have spent hours on the phone with support, they tell me to start over with all new file. I have decades of data. The two numbers should simply be a spreadsheet column copy and for them not to match tells me the program, not the data is bad. This problem began under Quicken 2017 and continues under 2019. My wife has her own computer with her own program and data file and she has experienced the same thing, albeit only one time so far. It is maddening. I am tired of doing "adjustments" to make things balance as this is no way to keep proper books. Anyone else?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    RoryTug said:
    I have the same problem and it is the program, not my reconciling. My wife is an accountant, there are no missed transactions it is the software. Let me explain:

Randomly, and with different accounts, The amount in the cleared Charges column on the left does not match the "cleared Balance" on the right. The difference is ALWAYS -29.75. It doesn't matter what account and it doesn't happen to all of them (YET). I have spent hours on the phone with support, they tell me to start over with all new file. I have decades of data. The two numbers should simply be a spreadsheet column copy and for them not to match tells me the program, not the data is bad. This problem began under Quicken 2017 and continues under 2019. My wife has her own computer with her own program and data file and she has experienced the same thing, albeit only one time so far. It is maddening. I am tired of doing "adjustments" to make things balance as this is no way to keep proper books. Anyone else?
    The Cleared Balance should not necessarily match the cleared Charges column on the left.  The Cleared Balance should be the total of all of the Reconciled transactions in the register and all the transactions checked in the Reconcile window.

If you uncheck all of the transactions in the Reconcile window (select Mark All and Clear All), the Cleared Balance should be the total of all of the Reconciled transactions in the register.  This may be confirmed by sorting the register by the Clr column (small triangle to the left of Clr column title pointing down) and examine the running balance of the last Reconciled transaction.  This balance should also be the closing balance on the financial institution's statement last reconciled and, if you reconcile each statement, the opening balance of the financial institution's statement being reconciled.

If the reconciled balance has changed since you last reconciled, a reconciled transaction has been added, modified, or deleted.  To determine the source of the change, I suggest comparing the running balance of the account register in the current data file with the running balance of the account register from a data file backup saved when the account was last reconciled.  One way to do accomplish this is to print the registers to text files.