Quicken crashes when searching memo field for some terms

It's been happening even in my Quicken premier 2016, 2014 and one more version before that. When I do a search for memo field using the operand "contains" it crashes for some terms. Recently it's when i do a quick find (cntl-F keyboard shortcut) for "peets". I vary it by saying "peet" or "peet's" and same thing happens. But I search for other terms like honda or toyota or something else, it works.

Any thoughts? I did validate and super-validate already but these things happen in past versions also doing validate and super-validate.

Comments

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    @mrputtputt

I tried to replicate this problem (in Q for Windows 2017) and it doesn't crash for me.  Sorry.

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • mrputtputt
    mrputtputt Member ✭✭
    i did say it's not consistent. but at least on some keywords, it always crashes.

quicken premier 2020 version r24.11 build 24.1.24.11
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes you did - and it is baffling that we get different results. 

Furthermore, I am not yet on the subscription (still running 2017) so we are not actually comparing apples to apples.  But your problems and others I see here frequently make me fear the day I will need to "upgrade" (and I use that term hesitantly).

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also tried searching for variations of "peets" and could not reproduce the crash. Sometimes the worst bugs are the ones that no one else can reproduce because that makes it virtually impossible for us to give useful advice.
    The only path to salvation that I can see is two-fold.
    1. Contact Quicken Support and let them share your screen while you reproduce the crash.
    2. If you can crash in front of their eyes, they will (hopefully) ask for your data file to examine.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • mrputtputt
    mrputtputt Member ✭✭
    no worries Frank. It also happened on my non-subscription versions. I tried other terms that would have just as much records/entries but I cannot stop it. I wonder if it's an indexing issue on the data as it searches.

Rocket,
    for sure, I can replicate the peets memo search. darn it, I cannot remember 2 other terms as I gave up on it. I just do a report and I filter from there. i'll have to block out time to call support. I searched here and I coudln't find someone complaining about crashes from quick finds (cntl-f shortcut) or from menu - edit -> find.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Any thoughts? I did validate and super-validate already but these things happen in past versions also doing validate and super-validate.
    Did you do a Quicken Copy and Validate the copy?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • mrputtputt
    mrputtputt Member ✭✭
    how is that different than running validate and super validate on the actual file?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    File > File Operations > Copy is different from all other copy operations. It lifts the data records out of the original file and drops them into fresh new tables in the destination file. Sometimes this improves things going forward. Also, items marked as deleted are left behind, often resulting in a smaller data file.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    how is that different than running validate and super validate on the actual file?
    File/File operations/copy does a copy while cleaning up some empty space etc.. And "can" help with a corruption. Good to do that 1st and then the validation to see if it helps. 
  • mrputtputt
    mrputtputt Member ✭✭
    I did the copy operation this morning. It saved me about 5-6mb of space. i did validate and super validate on the copy. when I opened it and did the same search, it's still failing. but good to know there's some kind of fragmentation on the tables and copy function cleans that up

guess it's a call with quicken support for now then.
This discussion has been closed.