Has anyone had a problem with their downloaded transactions incorrectly giving you a deficit balance

My transactions are showing me with a deficit in my account which is incorrect. Even though my previous entries were reconciled and the bank balance online matched my balance. I am using an updated 2019 Home & Business program. Not sure what to do now. Any ideas?

Comments

• fjsingel
    fjsingel Member ✭✭
    My experience has been that this is usually a corrupt database. Usually a split transaction, most of the time a paycheck. Steps I would take are:
    1) Validate and Repair the database by File -> File Operations -> Validate and Repair and selecting the Validate File check box.
    2) Look at the resulting report for clues, it may tell you that some transaction is corrupt. I would go to each of those transactions and delete them and reenter them. If there are transfers in the transaction, make sure they are fully deleted as sometimes you will see 2 transactions in one of the account. Make sure you delete any stragglers.

Start there, also looking back through the account and seeing when things started to turn into a deficit, that will be a clue as to where the bad transaction is.
  • BoomerK
    BoomerK Member
    Thanks for this. I will give it a try in the morning and see if I can figure it out. I will let you know. If this doesn’t work I may have to close this file and start over with a fresh 2020 file.
  • BoomerK
    BoomerK Member
    I have looked in my file and followed the suggestions for doing a validate and repair. It seems to show there was no data corruption..just a couple of unspecified account items...but other wise okay.
    But what I have suddenly noticed is....that I am missing all my transactions from Jan. 9th 2019 up to May 1 2019. They have disappeared.
    I am running Norton Anti-virus on my computer and everything has always seemed okay.
    Should I just clear this program from my computer and start over again with a new program?
    Any help or wisdom from any who see this would be very helpful.
  • fjsingel
    fjsingel Member ✭✭
    Is there any way you can re-import the transactions from the online bank account. What type of account is it? I am asking because some let you export a file of transactions within a date range.

I don't think it is a virus. How did the transactions get into your account in the first place?

What do you mean by "just a couple of unspecified account items"? This may be a clue.
This discussion has been closed.