Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How to delete an old payee name from the system

When I try to reuse a payee name after deleting it from the Memorized Payee list and the Online Payee list, Quicken will not let me add the new payee using the same name as the one just deleted. For example when I need to change the card number on a reissued credit card, I've deleted the old payee information then try to enter a New Payee with the updated information. Quicken continues to say that payee already exists so I've had to make up a new name for the same credit card carrier

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like an elephant, Quicken never forgets. At least account names. As you've seen, this can be a pain when you want to reuse a payee. You just have to make up a new name.
    That said, credit cards should not be payees. They should be accounts in Quicken. Each charge is a debit in the credit card account, which can be properly categorized. In most cases, you can download transactions from your credit card issuer into such an account. When you pay the bill, you reconcile the credit card account just like a checking account, and make a transfer from checking to the credit card account.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • rmorris
    rmorris Member
    I should have said credit card "provider."

When I try to add a new numbered account to a provider name and address that was previously deleted, Quicken doesn't allow that even though the provider name was deleted in Online and Memorized Payees.

Is there a Quicken file that can be edited to allow me to use a payee name that was previously used and since deleted?
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 10 Home
  • rmorris
    rmorris Member
    I must not have been clear in my question. This is about revising/adding a payee for Billpay.

For example say I have a Chase Bank credit card xxxx xxxx xxxx 1234 and I have the payee named "Chase CC." with that account number set up in Bill Pay. That card was replaced with a new one xxxx xxxx xxxx 2345. I am unable to revise the account number on the "Chase CC" Billpay payee so I delete it from Online Payees and from Memorized Payees and then try to add a new payee also named "Chase CC" with the new 2345 number. Quicken won't allow that because it says the "Chase CC" payee already exists. Is there some way for me to delete Quicken's memory of the earlier usage of "Chase CC" as a payee?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Just a shot in the dark (because I don't use Online Bill Pay to pay any bills*) ...
    Does this article answer your question about changing an existing bill pay account number?
    https://www.quicken.com/support/editing-online-payee-information
    (*) I'm old fashioned. Practically all my credit cards, utility bills, etc. have been paid by Direct Debit from my checking account. All it takes is to authorize the credit card company or utility company to make direct withdrawal from a designated account on due date. Works great for me. No forgotten or late payments. And no problems with Online Bill Pay. Ever.

• kornylak
    kornylak Member
    I see no one has answered this question about changing the account number of a payee, which is also my problem. The suggested link just takes me bask to the general page. This is a really stupid problem to have, I am wasting a lot of time trying to figure a work around!! When I click on the "contact support" button, nothing happens.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've updated the busted link. Hope that helps.

To contact  Quicken Support please note the posted hours of operation

Note: Your browser must allow popups from https://www.quicken.com for chat to function

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @rmorris and @kornylak

I would suggest that you simply change the name of the "new payee" slightly - such as "Chase CC2" instead of reusing the same payee name.  That should hopefully solve your problem.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    kornylak said:
    I see no one has answered this question about changing the account number of a payee, which is also my problem. The suggested link just takes me bask to the general page. This is a really stupid problem to have, I am wasting a lot of time trying to figure a work around!! When I click on the "contact support" button, nothing happens.
    The original post predates the demise of Quicken Billpay so the responses may not directly apply.  Can you let us know which version you are using (Help, About Quicken) and what method(s) you are using to make payment.  Which screen are you using to view/change the payee?
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    You can create a new payee with the same name and create or change the Description field of the new payee. Then the actual name can remain the same.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
This discussion has been closed.