Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How can I speed up How fast Quicken starts and moving between accounts?

I use the most current version of Quicken Deluxe for Windows. My main file has a QDF data size of about 250,000 KB. Over the last few months, Quicken started to take literally several minutes to start, assuming it does not crash when opening, and then can take time to simply move between accounts. My PC is about 5 years old but was fast at time purchased so hard to believe that is the issue.

My data goes back many years. Should I try to eliminate old years? If so, how? I do not want to start a brand new file.

I do have a lot of investment transactions if that matters.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, are any other applications running slowly?  Have you tried disabling your virus scanner?
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 10 Home
  • jandr74
    jandr74 Member ✭✭
    I tried the validate function and no errors were found.

My data is on the C drive of my PC and protected by Norton 360.

Norton claims they could not be the reason for the slowdown. However, when I turned on Norton's "silent mode," which suppresses all alerts and background activity, the application ran faster. Not fast but an improvement.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try disabling Norton altogether as an experiment. Quicken is constantly writing to disk and Norton presumably is intercepting all of those writes. I don't use Norton, but if it has a "white list", try telling it to ignore Quicken.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    The results of that experiment will be interesting ... because I run Norton also, and have no problems with Q's performance.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • jandr74
    jandr74 Member ✭✭
    I told Norton to run in silent mode whenever Quicken is running. Silent mode suppresses all alerts and background activity. Speed improves though still somewhat sluggish but bearable. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.