Home Quicken for Windows All Things Canadian (Windows)

Downloading Dimensional Fund Advisor (DFA) mutual fund data

Doug DubowskiDoug Dubowski Member ✭✭
I have never been able to get Quicken to download the net present value of certain mutual funds that I hold, specifically any Dimensional Fund Advisor funds. Quicken's Home and Business One Step Update simply ignores any mutual fund code associated with these funds (in the form DFAxxx, where "xxx" identifies specific funds with a 3 number code). On any other investment tracking site on the web, I have never had any problem getting daily readouts of any Dimensional Fund Advisor Funds, however, I would like One Step update to download these numbers and update my Quicken files automatically. Now I have to periodically update price information manually for these funds.
Tagged:

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since you're using the Canadian version (which I don't) ... are those funds set up in Quicken with their ticker symbols as downloading from a Canadian exchange?
    ISTR reading something here in the Community that you need to set up the ticker symbol something like TSE:DFAxxx (or set a checkmark "US" vs. "Canadian exchange")
  • Doug DubowskiDoug Dubowski Member ✭✭
    Quicken will pick other Cdn mutual fund codes without having to add the prefix described. I have never been able to get Quicken to download any DFA mutual fund information.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @Doug Dubowski

Thank you for that additional information, although I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

I took the liberty of adding a Dimensional Fund Advisor fund to my data file in Quicken for Windows Canada (R22.15) and was able to successfully update the price information.

If you haven't already, please open the security list (Tools > Security List) and select one of the DFA funds.

In the window that opens, click on "Edit Security Details" and adjust the "Exchange" dropdown to "Mutual Funds" and click OK.

A dialogue window will open, asking how you would like to handle the symbol change, I recommend selecting "default".

Once completed, please update the fund and let us know if the price information now updates.

Thank you,

Sarah
    I tried that, but it doesn't appear to work. No prices are downloaded or updated. One issue I also had was that when you change any of these settings, all the historical data I had entered manually is jeopardized. I lost all my price history for one of the funds, even though I did select "default".
    It is good to know, however, that the DFA funds can be downloaded through the one-step update. There must be a hiccup in my system somewhere that is preventing this. I have the same version number you do on the Cdn Quicken program.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    just browsing here.....
    Have you been happy with your DFA funds ?   I have a few friends that have handed over their asset management to their CFP who, in turn, has placed them into the managed accts of DFA holdings....   just comparing notes vs say - Vanguard index funds -
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
    I am now on the most recent version of Quicken Home & Business (Canada), R25.22 and still cannot download information through the ONeStep Update process. I have to enter each value manually by going to the security involved and entering the data. Is there a way to simply create a new One Step update process and cancel any existing one-step update activity? I came across a Error Message help file that indicated I have to deactivate all accounts associated with my current one step process, revalidate the file, and then re-enter all accounts I want to access through one step update. Am reluctant to do this because I simply don't know what will happen when I deactivate and reactivate an account in quicken.
This discussion has been closed.